Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Is the teacher within her right to "award" her student?
No, she has not right to embrass the student!! 13 68.42%
Heck Yeah, it will get all the students to do thier homework!! 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Default should this teacher be fired or given a raise?

Yup this was listed on Yahoo as news. So I'm wondering what you guys think of this award? Also if the parent didn't want her daughter embrassed why is she willing to be interviewed regarding this award. People confuse me.

8-Year-Old Gets 'Catastrophe Award' for Most Homework Excuses | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
The mother of an 8-year-old Arizona girl who was presented with a "Catastrophe Award" for apparently having the most excuses for not having homework believes her child was humiliated by her teacher.
Christina Valdez said her daughter, Cassandra Garcia, came home one day from class at Desert Springs Academy in Tucson, Ariz., with the paper award.
The document, which looks like a colorful card, contained the following message: "You're Tops! Catastrophe Award. Awarded to Cassandra Garcia. For Most Excuses for Not Having Homework."
The teacher signed the card "Ms. Plowman," added the date - May 18, 2012 - and even included a smiley face.
The teacher announced the award in front of the entire class, and the other students laughed at her daughter, Valdez said in a Thursday interview with ABC TV affiliate KGUN-TV in Tucson.
When she contacted the school to complain, the principal "blew me off," Valdez added. "She said it was a joke that was played and that the teachers joke around with the children."
But Valdez told KGUN that she didn't find any of it funny.
"I think it's cruel and no child should be given an award like this. It's disturbing," she said, adding that she was not aware her daughter had a problem with homework, and that the girl had been enrolled in an after-school homework assistance program.
Desert Springs Academy's principal declined to comment to a KGUN reporter, the affiliate reported.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Banned
Captain

Maybe the Parent should be held accountable for not having her child do the homework...Most parent fail in one or more areas of raising kids...whether it be letting their kids run around in restaurants...yell in public areas, let their children over eat, feed them junk food, and yes not take responsibility for their childs failure in class...This teacher should neither be fired or givin a raise but it should act as a reminder to parents to start being parents and not just off spring producers.
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Default My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Maybe the Parent should be held accountable for not having her child do the homework...Most parents fail in one or more areas of raising kids...whether it be letting their kids run around in restaurants...yell in public areas, let their children over eat, feed them junk food, and yes not take responsibility for their childs failure in class...This teacher should neither be fired or givin a raise but it should act as a reminder to parents to start being parents and not just off spring producers.

The teacher should be reprimanded .
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

This to me is very sad. A teacher hopes to make memories for a child, not something that could set their developement back.

The teacher needs a new job. She has forgotten, or never learned what her job was.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
This to me is very sad. A teacher hopes to make memories for a child, not something that could set their developement back.

The teacher needs a new job. She has forgotten, or never learned what her job was.
I agree! Public humiliation is never a good idea for a child. School should be a safe environment.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Admiral

The teacher is a bully!!!

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We don't know the entire story but I agree that public humiliation is not the answer.

There are reasons that the girl was not doing her homework and the teacher, parents and school professionals need to get to the bottom of it.

The girl must have a great imagination for coming up with all those excuses.

No raise is in order for this one but more needs to be done.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I agree with that.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Admiral

It's interesting the different opinons this story gets. Here is my issue. I have noticed that kids today are not held accountable for their actions. This student wasn't doing her homework that we can all agree. In the real world if you don't do your job you are fired or written up. So this student wasn't doing her work. The consequences of that was this award.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
It's interesting the different opinons this story gets. Here is my issue. I have noticed that kids today are not held accountable for their actions. This student wasn't doing her homework that we can all agree. In the real world if you don't do your job you are fired or written up. So this student wasn't doing her work. The consequences of that was this award.
I'm an HR Manager, if I did this to an employee, we'd be charged with Harrassment and Bullying in the workplace.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Coincidentally, I just asked a question in another board I belong to, with people from our old neighborhood, about, the best, and, worst teachers we had and the memories of them. Overall, with the responses to the worst teachers, was humiliation, in some form or another.

Our little ones go to school to be helped by great teachers, not humiliated by bad ones. I am one of those little kids, who was unlucky to have had a teacher that left scars. For so many of my group, who have such strong memories, so many years later, you can see how important it is for this Mom, to speak up for her daughter.

Shame on this teacher, and I use the term lightly

Button, did your kids ever had a bad experience in school? Kat, there were many other options that this teacher could have used to get her point acoss...very bad choice.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Admiral

"Most excuses for not doing something" ? Sounds to me like the girl has got a solid future in politics

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Admiral

She didn't do the right thing but she should not be fired over this either.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Remember that this is an 8-year old and not an adult. Accountability is something that is learned over time by kids and is different than responsibility, which is also something that comes with maturity. The parents are accountable for the homework problem, the child responsible for it, but within reasonable limits for her age. The teacher did more damage than she realizes, or perhaps she does realize it but just doesn't give a damn. I would expect at least a reprimand, and if I gave it it would be delivered in the form of an award certificate. What is good for the goose is good for the gander...or in this case the hen.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Admiral

To be honest this is not how I would have handled this child. It's better to reward good behavior then to punish bad behavior. Instead of giving this child an award for bad behavior. Why not reward the children that turned in all the homework on time.

On the other side I don't think the teacher's intent was quite as malicious as the mother makes it out to be. I have a really problem with this mother. If the child was totally embarrassed by the "award" the child would not want it to became front page news on yahoo. Sounds like mommy dearest is looking for someone to sue. Where was she when her daughter wasn't completing her homework? Not a word until the possibility of a big paycheck from the school district.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Banned
Captain

Its great that most people dont blame the parent and the child...It has gotten so these days that if a person who is lets say 25 years old murders someone in the act of robbery or something to that effect their up- bringing, or their broken home is always to blame, never the real culprit ,The person who did the actual crime.

For this kid to have so many excuses of not doing homework means that the parent HAS FAILED..no other way around it..the child is lazy and the parent is incompetent. The teacher has givin a lesson on what needs to be done...HOMEWORK...The problem in todays world is that sometimes kid gloves dont work...you can be sure the teacher has confronted this child in the past...the parent or parents have turned a blind eye...seems like the parents are using the school system as a baby sitting service.
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Its great that most people dont blame the parent and the child...It has gotten so these days that if a person who is lets say 25 years old murders someone in the act of robbery or something to that effect their up- bringing, or their broken home is always to blame, never the real culprit ,The person who did the actual crime.

For this kid to have so many excuses of not doing homework means that the parent HAS FAILED..no other way around it..the child is lazy and the parent is incompetent. The teacher has givin a lesson on what needs to be done...HOMEWORK...The problem in todays world is that sometimes kid gloves dont work...you can be sure the teacher has confronted this child in the past...the parent or parents have turned a blind eye...seems like the parents are using the school system as a baby sitting service.
The original e:mail said the mother was not aware of a homework issue, so rather than the teacher embarrass the child in front of her class, a call to the parent would have been in order?

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Just to add my two cents, such an action was totally uncalled for. After all the child is only eight years old.

While the teacher did (in my opinion) the absolutely wrong thing, the parent, by making a "Federal case" by posting a You Tube video) out of the incident graphically illustrates her own inability to effectively parent her child.

Making fun of young students has absolutely no place in our system of education. There again, there are literally millions of students out there whose parents (of all stripes) I swear I'd lock up and throw away the key!

This is a condemnation of what far too often occurs in our educational system....from all angles!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:07 AM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
The original e:mail said the mother was not aware of a homework issue, so rather than the teacher embarrass the child in front of her class, a call to the parent would have been in order?
This proves my point...The parent was incompetent...what parent never checks the homework of their child. It seems the parent is covering up her failures of not checking on her own child...NO ONE other then the child and parent is responsible for said child doing homework. The parent is not only covering up her incompetence but probaly looking for a huge payday from a law suit.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Default Should This Teacher be Fired or Given a Raise?

Bad parenting!

Judy
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Bad Parenting does not excuse the behaviour of the Teacher.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Bad Parenting does not excuse the behaviour of the Teacher.
The teacher gave a good lesson to the child...A better lesson then the parent ever gave...I applaud her.
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The teacher gave a good lesson to the child...A better lesson then the parent ever gave...I applaud her.

I'm not surprised

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:41 PM
Admiral

The teacher did the wrong thing. If there was such a problem with the child not doing homework why did she not talk with the parents early in the year or when the problem started. And the parents should have known more about the homework that was assigned and make sure it was done.

The teacher should get a reprimand but not fired.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:10 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
I'm not surprised
Here I go lowering myself again:

Read up on the situation Im sure you will be surprised to hear that the award was actually for most excuses givin for not doing homework

Im also sure you will be surprised that Yahoo released the results of a independent poll and found that a majority of people sided with the teacher.

Ya see Trackypup evey now and then you opinion is not with the majority...IM NOT SURPRISED AT THAT.
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:19 PM
Banned
Captain

Its right there on Yahoo "Angry mom interview backfires" this mom is incompetent and what good did it do running to the media unless she wanted some kind of monetary reward...She should lose her parenting rights...just another case of an offspring producer and not being a responsible parent.
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:43 PM
Admiral

The fact that you think a mother should lose parenting rights over this speaks volumes..about YOU.

I really don't care what a majority of Yahoo Readers think...experts don't agree...

"Experts agree. A negative award, joke or not, serves only one purpose, and that is to humiliate the student. Jokes at the expense of 8-year-olds shouldn’t be funny to mature adults, and they set a bad example: that it is OK to make fun of others for their perceived deficiencies. What kind of adult mocks a child? An angry and vindictive one."

I was actually at a legal seminar this morning and this was brought up. This is not about the mother, this is not about the mother taking this to the media..this is about an educator humilating an 8 year old in front of her class. If this happened in the workplace, we'd be up on charges in an instant. It isn't tolerated in the workplace and it shouldn't be tolerated in the school system.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:02 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
The fact that you think a mother should lose parenting rights over this speaks volumes..about YOU.

I really don't care what a majority of Yahoo Readers think...experts don't agree...

"Experts agree. A negative award, joke or not, serves only one purpose, and that is to humiliate the student. Jokes at the expense of 8-year-olds shouldn’t be funny to mature adults, and they set a bad example: that it is OK to make fun of others for their perceived deficiencies. What kind of adult mocks a child? An angry and vindictive one."

I was actually at a legal seminar this morning and this was brought up. This is not about the mother, this is not about the mother taking this to the media..this is about an educator humilating an 8 year old in front of her class. If this happened in the workplace, we'd be up on charges in an instant. It isn't tolerated in the workplace and it shouldn't be tolerated in the school system.
OH PLEASE...you must think its cute to watch kids running around in a restaurant...you also probaly think its cute when a toddler is screaming his or hers head off. Well I dont find any of that cute nor do I tolerate that behavior. Letting kids get away with that and letting kids get away with not doing homework is a complete FAILURE on the parents. Years ago in the 50's, 60's and even the 70's nothing would have come about. But with everyone so politically correct and trying to nail everyone to the cross I would expect this from you.
Its time to take off the kid gloves, It was the teachers way of teaching a lesson to a child, to at least try and get her to do what she is suppose to do seeing how the parents arent doing it. You are in fact in the minority here...You not caring what a poll results are means its your way of thinking or no way...Well too bad, the results are in and you are in the minority..your peers dont agree with you.
We all managed to make it in life without all the politically correct people from years back.
Round 3 will begin shortly I am sure. awaiting your wonderful response.
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:09 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Just felt like restating that you are wrong again...It actually speaks volumes about what kind of failure the mother is...please explain what good it did to go to the media and expose herself as to being a failure...Im sure, no Positive that you will spin it into "Well its the only way to get the teacher fired"

In reality its about her trying to make a cash windfall.
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:10 PM
Admiral

You can have round three, I won't argue on stupidity, you'll beat me with experience.

You keep saying I'm in the Minority, you did notice the results of this poll didn't you?

No, she has not right to embrass the student!! 11 73.33%
Heck Yeah, it will get all the students to do thier homework!! 4 26.67%

Hawaii By land x 2

Last edited by Trackypup; May 31st, 2012 at 06:16 PM.