Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Default That is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I've only heard raves on tv about this place. Isn't it a Trump building? For the average tourist, it would seem this is too $$$, I would think.
Supposedly its among the highest priced restaurants in NY .

For me personally a once in a lifetime restaurant to go to is Rao's .

I was there in 1998 and was honored to sit at the owners table .
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Rao's is a favorite of Regis. The same people at the same tables on the same night every week You were lucky for the honor.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:46 PM
Admiral

I've been to the Vegas one a couple of times, but not the 'Original"

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Default Rao's

Quote:
Rao's is a favorite of Regis. The same people at the same tables on the same night every week You were lucky for the honor.

Everyone at the table I was seated at was requested to have shots of vodka . I normally do not drink and I was told that I would not respect the owner if I did not drink .
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Everyone at the table I was seated at was requested to have shots of vodka . I normally do not drink and I was told that I would not respect the owner if I did not drink .
If someone told me I'd be disrespectful by not eating or drinking something the owner wished me to consume, I'd simply get up and leave. That kind of disrespect would be well deserved. Only a damn fool jackass would say something like that. How do you suppose such a mandate would go over with a recovering alcoholic? That's not hospitality; that's boorishness.

Plenty of good chow in the Naked City. No reason to put up with that kind of nonsense.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Default Rao's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
If someone told me I'd be disrespectful by not eating or drinking something the owner wished me to consume, I'd simply get up and leave. That kind of disrespect would be well deserved. Only a damn fool jackass would say something like that. How do you suppose such a mandate would go over with a recovering alcoholic? That's not hospitality; that's boorishness.

Plenty of good chow in the Naked City. No reason to put up with that kind of nonsense.

I went there that evening with 6 other people .Rao's is located in East Harlem . I would have no way to get home if I left on my own and very likely would not be posting here today if I tried to leave on my own .
If a person said sorry I am a recovering alcoholic I am sure that person would not be asked to drink .
Rao's is currently co-owned by Tony Sirico (Sopranos) .I do not know if he was a co-owner at that time .
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:01 AM
Admiral

No way of getting home? Taxis are plentiful in New York. Have the person at the desk or at the door hail one or call one for you. That is unacceptable behavior from a Soprano, an Alto, a Tenor, a Baritone or a Bass. The name or fame of the owner makes absolutely no difference.

And, believe it or not Henry, there are recovering alcoholics who would prefer not to make that fact known to their dining companions. What are they to do? Surreptitiously pour the booze into a potted plant for fear of offending the owner?

I do drink, but I wouldn't drink a shot of vodka no matter who I was supposedly offending. Why? I don't like straight vodka, and the dining experience is supposed to please me, not the owner.

Ridiculous.

Last edited by AR; June 3rd, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Admiral

I did not have enough money to take a taxi which would have cost way over $100 .Secondly I would have a problem with the people I came with .I cannot list their names here but think of the movie Goodfellas .
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I did not have enough money to take a taxi which would have cost way over $100 .Secondly I would have a problem with the people I came with .I cannot list their names here but think of the movie Goodfellas .
1. NYC cabs take credit cards.

2. You could have taken a cab to a place in Manhattan where you would feel "safe," and where you could take whatever public transportation you usually take to get home (the 125th St. station, maybe?).

3. You may be the only "mobbed up" guy in NYC that doesn't walk around with at least a few hundred bucks in his pocket.

4. But of course it's perfectly understandable that you wouldn't want to anger Joe Pesci. Who wants to get shot in the knee?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

When I go to a Texas roadhouse I have smoked brisket with corn on the cob, pinto beans and cole slaw.

It isn't Texas BBQ to me if it isn't smoked.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
When I go to a Texas roadhouse I have smoked brisket with corn on the cob, pinto beans and cole slaw.

It isn't Texas BBQ to me if it isn't smoked.
Texas Roadhouse IMHO happens to be the best CHAIN steakhouse in America...Their Prime rib is to die for.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Banned
Captain

Not having any money in your pocket when you go out to eat or whatever it may be is not too swift, That can get you into a bad situation...I never travel or go out without enough money to cover most expenses that can normally occur.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The noise level at Texas Roadhouse is tough..., never mind once the staff starts to dance. A tad lower on the volume button would be perfect! Love their ribs,and a big blue moon beer, with orange slices would taste good now

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
The noise level at Texas Roadhouse is tough..., never mind once the staff starts to dance. A tad lower on the volume button would be perfect! Love their ribs,and a big blue moon beer, with orange slices would taste good now
I agree, when they start to sing and clap it can get very noisy very fast..but the Prime Rib is to die for, I also love the showcase of all the different steaks. In all the times I have been their only once did I have to return the prime rib for being over cooked, not only did they correct the problem very fast, but they also took it off the bill...Very friendly staff (but noisy) and good food.

I do have my special places for that white table cloth dining.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Default No ,no,no and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
1. NYC cabs take credit cards.

2. You could have taken a cab to a place in Manhattan where you would feel "safe," and where you could take whatever public transportation you usually take to get home (the 125th St. station, maybe?).

3. You may be the only "mobbed up" guy in NYC that doesn't walk around with at least a few hundred bucks in his pocket.

4. But of course it's perfectly understandable that you wouldn't want to anger Joe Pesci. Who wants to get shot in the knee?
1) This was 1998 and I don't think that taxi's took credit cards .In addition ,I almost never use credit cards .

2)I have not been on a NYC subway since 1990 .

3)I am not a "mobbed" up guy .

4) Joe Pesci began his career as a singer with Frankie Valli
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Default Buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Not having any money in your pocket when you go out to eat or whatever it may be is not too swift, That can get you into a bad situation...I never travel or go out without enough money to cover most expenses that can normally occur.

You bear a striking resemblance to David Suchet in his portrayal of Hercule Poiret .

Secondly I did not go out without money .I went to work that morning and one of my co-workers mentioned that she was invited to go with a group of people to Rao's .She asked if I would like to join them . As I never went there and I had heard that it was nearly impossible to get in I agreed to go . I was not aware who the people were that I would be with .

For me it was an experience that I never had before or since .Upon leaving the restaurant one of the people with whom I was dining reached into his pocket and took out money .He asked that I make sure that 2 of my female co-workers get home safely and that when I left the car service I was to tell the driver that I was told that the money I was giving him was sufficient for taking the 3 of us home and apparently it was .
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:16 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
I went there that evening with 6 other people .Rao's is located in East Harlem . I would have no way to get home if I left on my own and very likely would not be posting here today if I tried to leave on my own .
If a person said sorry I am a recovering alcoholic I am sure that person would not be asked to drink .
Rao's is currently co-owned by Tony Sirico (Sopranos) .I do not know if he was a co-owner at that time .
Then I am still trying to figure this out...Why would you have no way to get home if you left on your own ? Are you trying to say you would have been killed...

BTW I never liked Agatha Christie Dr Watson, I presume.

Last edited by buttons16; June 3rd, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Default Why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Then I am still trying to figure this out...Why would you have no way to get home if you left on your own ? Are you trying to say you would have been killed...
I am going to refrain from posting any longer on this thread ,if you have any further questions that you feel you must have an answer to you can PM me .
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:27 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Did not have enough money ?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Banned
Captain

[QUOTE=Henry43;1430906]I went there that evening with 6 other people .Rao's is located in East Harlem . I would have no way to get home if I left on my own and very likely would not be posting here today if I tried to leave on my own .

No way to get home if you left on your own...and you would not be posting here today if you tried to leave.....But then you state later you were never in fear of you life...

I stated I never leave home without enough money to cover most common emergencies...

You stated you had money...you stated you were never in fear of your life at any time...but then read the above quote...Just dont get what you are trying to say..i am just trying to figure out what you mean by "If you left on your own you would very likely not be posting here today.
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
I worked in Saugus in the early 70's in a steak house called Valle's it was a chain based from Maine. They had stores all over New England except NH for some reason. When I left there they were planning expansion down the east coast to Florida. Those plans died with the original founder. His son took over and a drinking problem ran that chain under. The building was fairly large but not those proportions.
Hilltop Steakhouse is another very popular restaurant in Saugus with a huge reputation but not a huge building. They are still around and now have meat markets. Those are about the biggest restaurants I can think of in the area but as I said they are not huge in size, just reputation and popularity.

Laura
Oh, memories of those places. And nothing better than Kowloon.
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Oh, memories of those places. And nothing better than Kowloon.
I too have many memories. As a hostess/waitress at Valle's we used to go across to Kowloon every night after work. I was thinking of going home to visit next year. If I do I will be going to Kowloon for lunch.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain