Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Default For TRIP

I called my friend this morning who lived in Cambridge ,MA in the early 70's . The name of the restaurant that he said at the time was the largest in the world was :

Frank Giuffridas Hilltop Restaurant in Saugus ,MA .
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
First Mate

According to what I have been able to find, the seating capacity is listed as 1,700. It may very well be that at the time your friend referenced, it was the biggest. Certainly it is the biggest in the Boston area. Kowloon is listed next at 1,200, with Anthony's Pier 4 next at 1,075.

I have been in Anthony's, but never to that Hilltop location. For a sort time they had a location in Hartford at a former Vallee's (sp?0, but it lasted a few months then closed abruptly. It was OK at best. This was in the '90's if memory serves.

1,700 people is a lot of people. I wonder what the seating capacity of a typical ship MDR facility is. It would seem the Oasis and Allure may exceed that.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Thanks Henry....I have been there,and would never have thought it would have served that many...In it's heyday, there were lines for sure, and the steaks were great. The big draw was the huge fiberglass cows corralled in the front. As I googled to find you a picture...it seems as if something was not kosher at the end of the reaturants days....when it was good, it was very good...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Admiral

My wife and I were in Boston in 1970 and I seem to recall an Italian restaurant in the area of The Freedom Trail .The food was great and I'm trying to recall the name .My cousins in Lexington have no idea .
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Most visitors to the Freedon Trail, mosey down to the North End, to dine. I think the most popular for tourists is:

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Admiral

I guess that could have been it ?
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:26 AM
First Mate

..and it is just steps from Paul Revere's house which is on the Freedom Trail....

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Admiral

That seems to have been . I have a journal that I used to write in until 1980 .I just have to find it . The name of the restaurant will be in it .