CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Could not board cruise because I didn't have the right citizenship documentation (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/389790-could-not-board-cruise-because-i-didnt-have-right-citizenship-documentation.html)

carolegillham June 5th, 2012 10:14 PM

Could not board cruise because I didn't have the right citizenship documentation

Has anyone been denied boarding a cruiseline because they didn't have the appropriate documentation to prove they are a U.S. citizen?

Trip June 5th, 2012 10:39 PM

Not to me personally, but it does happen. The regulations are strict, and will be followed to the letter, so, passengers need to be properly documented...It's very sad to say.....I almost went on a cruise! Dot your i's and cross you t's.

Dhill June 5th, 2012 10:42 PM

Cant say that I have, altho we have only been on one cruise so far. I dont understand even with are last cruise being are first it was made pretty clear which documents we would need,And with web sites like this one to help people out (which they helped us out quit a bit) I dont understand how you could end up at the dock without the proper paper work?:confused:

green_rd June 6th, 2012 07:59 AM

There was a thread on the Princess board early this year from a young lady (non-US citizen) who was denied boarding because of lack of documentation (or a member of her party - I forget which.)

Donna June 6th, 2012 08:17 AM

I do hear this does happen, that is why it is so important to have the proper ID...Best to have a passport, no hassles there.

Fieldmouse June 6th, 2012 10:26 AM

Especially now it's important to provide citizenship documentation, passports or whatever is needed. Have it handy and ready to show. They're even strict at the Canadian boarder. They look carefully at everything. Found out how serious on a tour through certain parts of Alaska that crossed Canadian boarders. It took awhile for all of our tour group to be processed. They, the Boarder Guards, would not be rushed. Luckily we had been well prepared by Cruise Tour Director and everyone had proper documentation.

Had a wonderful time...but it would have been disterous if even one person had not had their 'papers' together.

Manuel June 6th, 2012 11:37 AM

I allway carry my passport even on domestic travels. I have been a Naturalized US citizen for 47 years, but it's hard to prove without a passport.

TM

CostaSmurf June 6th, 2012 11:55 AM

My passport goes with me everywhere....you never know when you might need it, whether it be for travel purposes...or if you require identifying following an accident or your death.

Trek520 June 18th, 2012 08:46 AM

Where did she go ?

The OP has not replied and I'm wondering why.:confused:

ruthlessboss June 18th, 2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trek520 (Post 1433454)
The OP has not replied and I'm wondering why.:confused:

According to stats page, hasn't been back since posting!

aerospace June 18th, 2012 12:50 PM

Was deported to North Korea... no Internet access lol

cruisissimo June 18th, 2012 06:54 PM

proper documentation

All non US citizen must have a valid passport to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. Homeland Security Dept is the institution that checks the documents on embarkation. It is always good to have passport, but if you don't and you are US citizen - you need original birth certificate (or certified copy) and Government issued photo ID (as a Driver License). The name on the reservation should match the name on the Driver License. Passengers under age 16 travel with original Birth Certificate. Passengers at age 16-18 need original Birth Certificate and School (photo) ID. Double check with the Cruise line and airline if they need additional documents. Guests who fail to provide the cruise line with proper proof of citizenship and photo ID will be denied boarding and will not receive a refund. The website that gives you detailed information about travel documentaion is Welcome to Travel.State.Gov