Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Years ago, we were told they would be removed before burial, because my hubby has some. Actually, all my kids do as well....not me though.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 9th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKayden View Post
Ah katlady....my favorite picture!

Katlady, I think ill have to print that picture off in poster size.....you know.....to toroughly enjoy the tattoo
I had to take several pictures of that gentleman just to get some good shoots of that interesting Tattoo. My hubby wasn't very understanding.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 9th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I read today that many people are getting Med-Alert tattoos .
That is an excellent idea.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Default Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Years ago, we were told they would be removed before burial, because my hubby has some. Actually, all my kids do as well....not me though.

I don't have any but many of my friends who are jewish do have tattoos .
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Default Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
That is an excellent idea.

I know you are too young to receive this publication but there is an article about Med-Alert Tattoos in the current edition of the AARP newspaper .
Old June 10th, 2012, 04:19 AM
First Mate

I have simple one on my ankle about the size of a silver dollar. I got it when I was barely 18 and it was very sybolic of me at the time... A heart with wings. It may not be the best looking, but it is easily covered and when I see it, it brings back memories.

I am not a fan of tattoos that aren't easily covered... My hubby has wanted one since he joined the Military at 17, so this year for his 27th birthday we may get him one for being patient for 10 years! He wants it on his forearm though, and I say no way! Then he can't cover it with a short sleeve shirt. We'll see what happens...

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I know you are too young to receive this publication but there is an article about Med-Alert Tattoos in the current edition of the AARP newspaper .
Saw the article...guess that dates me (could have borrowed it you know) Anyway, I wear a medic alert bracelet and not once has our local hospital staff or ER staff ever looked at it and it's the large man size one.

Had one scary incident when I was in the E.R...a nurse came in with a needle and was going to start injecting medication in my IV tube. I stopped him and asked what it was. It was a medication I was anaphylactic too! He had never checked my medic alert or for that matter my admission chart. I contacted Medic Alert and the Hospital Administrator. Medic Alert was alarmed and contacted the Hospital directly. Been in hospital several times since...and NEVER ever has the staff looked at my medic alert. But they do check my chart. Always, always take an advocate with you...someone to speak for you just in case you can't, to watch out for you. To be YOUR advocate, your voice. (but that's another thread)

IF hospital staff doesn't pay attention to a LARGE RED medic alert bracelet...I seriously doubt that they will notice a tattoo with medical information. Especially since a lot of people have tattoo's with writing etc. In an emergency situation they're not going to pay attention. Good idea but not practical in the real world.
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse, they often don't check your chart either. The last surgery I had they asked me repeadly beforehand what I was allergic to. After the surgery I found myself with a script for an antibiotic that I was allergic to despite my telling at least eight or ten people!
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Admiral

So true Moiraine! I am a firm believer in asking questions and QUESTIONING procedures, and medication.

That's one of the reason's I'm a big fan of ALWAYS having an Advocate with you when ever possible in the hospital or E.R. Someone to be your eyes, ears and voice, because obviously your not at your best or you wouldn't be there. There may be symptoms you'll forget, medication you've forgotten to mention. Your Advocate can help double check that your wishes are respected and your medical history, concerns and allergies are being taken seriously!

It's my body, my life...and if the nursing staff or doctor make a tragic mistake...a simple, "Geez, I'm sorry"...isn't going to fix it.
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Since I am alone in life I would have no one to speak for me. I will wear a medic alert necklace. I just ordered one.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 12th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Familiar Face

I just have one... it was basically a "Hey - I'm 18 and wanna do something dumb" moment. It had no meaning. I wish that whatever I had DID have meaning. It's a tribal dragon on my right shoulder about 6" H x 3 1/2" W

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Saw the article...guess that dates me (could have borrowed it you know) Anyway, I wear a medic alert bracelet and not once has our local hospital staff or ER staff ever looked at it and it's the large man size one.
I'm in no way justifying this or saying its ok - but as a nurse I can only imagine that he/she assumed all of your information would have been on the chart. Charts have big bright stickers when there are allergies... They must have assumed everything was ok since nothing was on the chart? Again - not saying it's ok just trying to figure out how that happened.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Admiral

actingnurse: I believe that's why I was contacted directly by the nursing administrator AND the head of the E.R dept. Then when I called Medic Alert...they also wanted to know not only 'what happened? but 'why'? Our local hospital IS a major medical facility, with a hugh E.R dept., Life Flight, etc.

Doctors and nurses should NEVER assume anything. If the patient is conscious and can communicate...check and double check patient's chart, armband and even verbally with the patient BEFORE administering any meds. If the patient cannot communicate, but has a family member on hand, check with them or with the patient's Advocate.

Patient's die or are seriously injured because of medical malpractice. Medical staff get busy or because of being overwhelmed by the stress of their job take shortcuts. But hey...not on my watch!!! Like I said...an 'I'm sorry' is not going to fix anaphylaxis, coma or death caused by an 'innocent' mistake.
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actingnurse View Post
I just have one... it was basically a "Hey - I'm 18 and wanna do something dumb" moment. It had no meaning. I wish that whatever I had DID have meaning. It's a tribal dragon on my right shoulder about 6" H x 3 1/2" W
You and about 50 million other 18 year olds. I wouldn't feel too bad about it - with your age group a tattoo is almost mandatory!
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:15 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

To piggyback a couple other threads, how about a 'cruisemates' logo tatto...required after 5 cruisemates cruises...lol

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski