Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Captain

Default Quo Vadis Escargot

I am interested in finding out where the cruise lines get their escargot. I saw Master Chief inquiry asking if escargot are back on the Carnival menus? He said they had been taken off awhile back and were not available for a while.

I had seen this type comment about lack of snails on menu and the response that you could still get them in the specialty restaurant. However, I also read at the time of the first inquiry that Barbados was suffering with a plague of snails.

This led me to my question about where do the cruise lines get the snails they offer as escargot.
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Captain

There's a worldwide snail shortage this year. While the cruise lines can get some they aren't able to get enough for the 250k passengers that sail each week. It came up on my last cruise and they said it was temporary.
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Admiral

From what John heald stated on Facebook and his blog Carnical and most all cruise lines get them from Sout Asia, can't remember exactly which country.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Captain

Default Answer to Oui est l'escargot?

After seeing conflicting comments like the following:
"There is a drought in Indonesia where most of the Escargot come from."
"As you know we have had to stop serving Escargot in the dining rooms due to supply problems caused by terrible floods in Indonesia."
Drought? Floods?

I did a little more research on the subject and found the following information.

Snails: Raw Materials Short Due to Poor Weather Conditions
Source Schreiber Foods international, Inc. Posted on June 4, 2012 by foodblog

Snails (shelled mollusks) are related to clams and oysters except they live on land and not in the ocean. There are two basic types of snails: the Helix snail, or European land snail with spiral shells, and the Achatine, or Asian snail that lives in swampy areas. Our Ambrosia snails are of the Achatine type and come from Indonesia. Snail meat is used for escargot and is usually served in its shell with a special sauce that includes garlic, butter, wine and spices. Our Ambrosia snails are cooked in brine with spices, herbs and vegetables before canning, thus they have a savory flavor right out of the can.

Snails have been extremely scarce during the past two years in Indonesia. Packers normally source snails during the rainy season that lasts from November through March. Snails are obtained from the wild Ė they arenít farmed like most of the European Helix snails are, and are therefore very sensitive to weather conditions. Last year the rainy season was very short and this year it was extremely tough, with lots of flooding in the area snails are usually found. One of the largest packers claimed that they couldnít obtain enough raw materials to run the factory most days. They usually shut down the facilities during the dry season but this year they are planning to run longer and just keep packing as raw material comes in to fill orders. Since there are so many unfilled orders we canít expect this situation to ease up until after next yearís rainy season.

My only question is why they can't use the European land snail?

I love escargot smothered in butter and garlic. To me a cruise is not successful unless there is escargot on my plate. On my next cruise, I am going to check for pay restaurants for escargot availability if it not offered in the main restaurants.

Thanks Aerospace and nlb1050 for your inputs
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Here's my recipe for success. . .

Cut up some mushrooms into small pieces and stuff them into old snail shells.

Add the standard butter and garlic mixture as usual.

Voila!!
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Here's my recipe for success. . .

Cut up some mushrooms into small pieces and stuff them into old snail shells.

Add the standard butter and garlic mixture as usual.

Voila!!
You don't even need mushrooms, brussel sprouts will do. Thanks for the reciipe.
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

On a B2B total 14 day Caribbean cruise this past February on the Celebrity Solstice I had escargot every night in the MDR. Don't know where they came from but no shortage on the Solstice.

O F C'er
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Familiar Face

I found an old column discussing that they come from Indonesia...

But I see Bonnie Prince has taken care of responding.
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Captain

Default Celebrity Solstice Great Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post
On a B2B total 14 day Caribbean cruise this past February on the Celebrity Solstice I had escargot every night in the MDR. Don't know where they came from but no shortage on the Solstice.

O F C'er
I was on the Celebrity Solstice one month after her maiden voyage and I thought that of all the cruise lines I had been on the Solstice had a great
menu consistently. I would expect that if there was one ship that could come up with escargot it would be the Solstice.
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Admiral

This thread is proceeding at a snail's pace.
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Captain

Default Snail pace -Very clever. You might like this "Giant African Snail Farming Made Fun."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
This thread is proceeding at a snail's pace.
I thought this article was an additional bit of snail farmacology. The snails aare banned by US governement for human consumption. So they probably will not be on ships.

Lagos, Nigeria (CNN) -- The harvesting of snails as a delicacy has traditionally been synonymous with countries such as France and Italy.

But for one savvy entrepreneur in Nigeria, a giant version of the meaty mollusc is helping him tap into a market he says can generate high profits with little initial outlay.

Snail farming is often done small-scale at the back of homes and office compounds in the Nigerian city of Lagos. That's where businessman Ismail AbdulAzeez is rearing giant African snails, which can grow up to 20 cm (7.9 inches) in length.

"To get something like this," says AbdulAzeez holding up a snail shell the size of his palm, "you'll (initially) spend about 25 Naira (16 cents), assuming you're working with about 10,000 snails at a time."

But once fully grown, the snails can sell for 250 Naira ($1.64), depending on the season, he says.

AbdulAzeez has just sold his latest harvest to a number of luxury hotels and high-class restaurants in Lagos.

But he says the snails he grows are also receiving the attention of foreign buyers in Europe and beyond -- attracted by the size of the snails and their relatively low price.

The UK, Norway and other European countries are some of the final destinations for his snails.

And AbdulAzeez is quick to point out the potential that start ups such as his own could have in helping other young entrepreneurs climb their way out of poverty.

He claims to have so far taught more than 1,000 people how to create their own snail farm businesses and says that those who are successful could earn as much as $15,000 every two years.

I would say that the snail farming provides opportunities that are yet to be seized.

--K.A. Monney, author of Giant African Snail Farming Made Fun