CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Conforming or not (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/390140-conforming-not.html)

Lakers Fan June 24th, 2012 09:11 PM

Conforming or not

Do you dress the way you desire or the way society dictates ?

CruisinK n J June 24th, 2012 09:28 PM

Conforming or Not

I try to dress for where I'm going. I wish I could afford to dress the way the fashion world dictates! What I can't stand is when couples dress so that one looks like they're going to a nice restaurant and the other looks like they're going to a sports event.

Judy

Manuel June 24th, 2012 09:31 PM

I dress the way I desire. Ever since I moved to Florida I wear shorts 99% of the time.

TM

Trackypup June 24th, 2012 09:38 PM

hmmmm interesting question. To me the way I desire isn't too far from the way society dictates which works wonders working in an office environment. I'm a total clothes horse. BUT on vacation, I ditched formal night years ago. To me formal night and vacation is like oil and water, they just don't mix. So is that non conforming?

Lakers Fan June 24th, 2012 09:52 PM

I was hired by a company that was very lax in how one should dress or wear their hair .I had a pony tail and a very long beard . Eight years later management decided that employees should conform to the norm and all male employees with facial hair were told to shave .I refused to do so ,I was the only one .

Trip June 25th, 2012 12:19 AM

I'm surprised you still had a job.

MercedMike June 25th, 2012 10:17 AM

Conforming?

Well, of course we all (almost all) dress to conform to the way society wants us to. I think few men on this board would wear a t-shirt and no pants, an off the shoulder ball gown, a lion skin over their shoulder and a red blanket, or a New Guinea penis sheath and feathered headdress, in public at least. And few women -- well, I don't think I will draw a picture ... you get the idea.;)

http://users.elite.net/thehalls/s9.GIF

Who is non-conforming here?

The question then becomes HOW MUCH do you conform? Are you a real wild guy who wears a gray four-in-hand with your tuxedo instead of a black bow tie? Or do you go even further and wear an open collar shirt to work? Do you actually get so far out as to wear shorts to the grocery store? Your conformity is still great and your non-conformity miniscule! :D

Paul B June 25th, 2012 11:31 AM

Manuel, I am with you 100%. I dress for comfort, whenever possible. On formal nights, I reluctantly wore a coat and tie, but I removed them as soon as dinner was over. I do like he Carnival "elegant nights" where I can wear a nice comfortable sports shirt rather than a suit.

There once were an evil king and queen. She hated men and he hated women. So she invented the necktie, and he invented panty hose.

buttons16 June 25th, 2012 05:58 PM

I do like to dress up when appropriate. I do dress up on formal nights...Taking out my tux for Crystal cruises will be exciting..

I even wear nice slacks and polo shirts to my business even though I don't have to. Dressing for a formal night in formal wear gives you a sense of pride...it makes you feel good...

I don't think I can ever walk into a formal event wearing anything less then a tux or dark suit.

Lakers Fan June 25th, 2012 08:31 PM

The job

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1434326)
I'm surprised you still had a job.

I continued working there for 16 years .

Aerogirl June 25th, 2012 08:44 PM

I'm a shorts and tee shirt kind of gal however I do dress accordingly for the occasion.

KellyKayden June 25th, 2012 09:44 PM

I always dress for "me"....weather it be suits for work or dresses for a night of fun. I'm going to dress the way i want to dress, and if you dont like it...theres the door :) I always keep it appropriate though, not trashy. Trashy women take the 'womans rights movement' back 50 years

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from the movie "men in black"

"You know what the difference is between you and me? I make this look good"

;-)

Cruznut2 June 26th, 2012 11:35 AM

I dress to suit me. Comfortable but neat and clean. I never wear tee shirts or dungarees. I like comfortable shorts or capris and sandals. I have always worn sandals or just simple flats. Even in NH I was in sandals in the winter, never boots. For me when it comes to foot wear less is more and always has been. I just do not like a lot on my feet it is very uncomfortable and more so now that I have diabetic neuropathy.

Laura

ship2shore June 26th, 2012 11:46 AM

What are dungarees?

MercedMike June 26th, 2012 12:15 PM

Dungarees

Quote:

Originally Posted by ship2shore (Post 1434515)
What are dungarees?

What the crewman painting outside your window wears ... ;)

Trip June 26th, 2012 12:53 PM

Back in the day, everyone wore dungarees, which are now called, jeans.

ship2shore June 26th, 2012 11:09 PM

Oh I see. Quaint historic reference.
(We yunguns is so ignoramic)
LOL

And I thought it was what kangarees wore.

Paul B June 27th, 2012 12:39 AM

:-P:-P:-P:-PPlease don't insult the national uniform of Texas.:-P:-P:-P:-P

MercedMike June 27th, 2012 01:57 PM

Quaint historic reference

Quote:

Originally Posted by ship2shore (Post 1434580)
Oh I see. Quaint historic reference.
(We yunguns is so ignoramic)
LOL

And I thought it was what kangarees wore.

HMMMM. Now I never thought of Donna as quaint and historic ...

But I guess perceptions differ! ;);)