Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default Homophonic words (sound alike, different spelling)

[edited for clarity of intent - thanks AR]

This list of garbled homophones came around in an e-mail today, all of them harvested from bulletin boards like this. I've seen similar errors here forever, but perhaps not as funny. . .that is if you consider butchering the language funny at all. Many say that these kinds of errors don't matter, which of course is just a copout.

For those who may not know, homophones are two words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings. If you don't "get" some of these and are willing to say so, I'll post explanations.

1. Without further adieu.

2. Let us wet your appetite.

3. Poor writing reeks havoc on clear communication.

4. It's a tell-tail sign that writers aren't necessarily readers.

5. They should hand over the reigns.

6. This doesn't phase some people who feel that proper writing style, grammar and spelling are optional.

7. It's a waist of time to them.

8. They will fair well in business.

9. In the next physical year we hope to turn a profit.

10. He doesn't bare a resemblance to his father.

11. Hoping for tickets to a sold-out show is a crap-chute.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:03 PM
rollerdonna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Caribou River, Nova Scotia
Posts: 16,129
Default

I "get" them all, and stuff like this drives me crazy! I guess I am a grammar and spelling nut, but it was instilled in me early in life, good teachers I guess....
Thanks for the laughs AR!

donna
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,500
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

I think the thread is uncalled for, because the whole idea of this web site, is for people to post, and share ideas. For someone who is new, or even someone who has posted many times before, it is uncomfortable to have someone grading their words.

Of course if you have no vested interest in the site, and could care less if it does well or not, then it wouldn't matter.

I think it is wonderful for others to share, but how many are saying to themselves, I don't want to post, because I might be looked down on.

I know that Chit chat does not produce the traffic that makes this web site work, because the owners would like for all of us to be posting on the cruise related sites, but what if someone has been a looker, and was getting use to the regulars, and was about to post their first message?

Paul Motter are you out there? I would love to hear what you have to say.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:57 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 905
Default

Here! Here!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,424
Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.
Default

I appreciated the opportunity to exercise my brain a bit and see if I "got" them also. Guess I can thank the Filippini nuns in New Jersey for that!
Thanks AR!
Angela Z.
__________________
on Celebrity Solstice
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:40 AM
green_rd's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indianapolis (USA)
Posts: 5,310
Default

2. Let us wet your appetite. - Because your mouth is dry?

3. Poor writing reeks havoc on clear communication. - Poor writing makes clear communications reek.

5. They should hand over the reigns. Those who can't handle their reigns might not be able to handle the reins either.

9. In the next physical year we hope to turn a profit. - My doctor wants my to have am annual physical, is that a physical year?

10. He doesn't bare a resemblance to his father. - oh my

11. Hoping for tickets to a sold-out show is a crap-chute.- maybe one can get tickets for that location.
__________________
Bob

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I think the thread is uncalled for, because the whole idea of this web site, is for people to post, and share ideas. For someone who is new, or even someone who has posted many times before, it is uncomfortable to have someone grading their words.
That's nonsense, Luanne. If I were responding individually to correct all the language errors I see you'd probably have a point. But I don't do that and neither does anybody else. The purpose of this list is to have a bit of a laugh and to make the point that proper use of the language is something we should value. After all, people who "share ideas" best are those who express them effectively.

It seems pretty clear that most others have taken this in good fun, which is how it was intended.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

I will admit to one of these. I would say "I'm waiting with baited breath." I wondered how the phase came into being. I thought maybe a cat ate some cheese opened his mouth and waited for a mouse with baited breath.

I discovered it should be "I'm waiting with bated breath." Bated being the short verison of abated. Doesn't "I'm waiting with abated breath" sound strange. Plus bated is only one letter off abated. How lazy are we that abated just takes to long to say.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 203
Default

I post on a number of boards, this being the only vacation type board.

I went through school taking honors classes and was very bored... except w/ english.
I absolutly struggled with spelling and grammer. I drilled and drilled and it was no help..

I have since gotten over it. I could really care less about the "details" if the content gets delivered.
I am now left wondering what kind of charmed life a person must lead to be annoyed by grammer? I have real things that bug me. Taxes,bills etc..

Boards are for fun..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
MercedMike's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,236
Unhappy Communication

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I post on a number of boards, this being the only vacation type board.

I went through school taking honors classes and was very bored... except w/ english.
I absolutly struggled with spelling and grammer. I drilled and drilled and it was no help..

I have since gotten over it. I could really care less about the "details" if the content gets delivered.
I am now left wondering what kind of charmed life a person must lead to be annoyed by grammer? I have real things that bug me. Taxes,bills etc..

Boards are for fun..
Sadly this attitude is far to prevalent among young people today. Grammar and spelling give meaning to our words. Moving further and further away from standards makes communication more and more incomprehensible.

I enjoy seeing good grammar, spelling, construction and logic in writing, even on bulletin boards. Frankly, just like the clothes you wear, the language you use and the way you write DO affect people's perceptions of you and of the validity of your postings.

Ppl, that's IMAO. YMMV. CYA.
__________________
Mike

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:55 PM
MercedMike's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,236
Talking Words words words I'm so tired of words

One that occurs very frequently is to refer to a web page as a web sight instead of a web site.

With the things we see as we cruise, the problem becomes more difficult.

Is Stonehenge a site to visit or a sight to see?

(If you missed it the title of this post is a quote from My Fair Lady. )
__________________
Mike

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

There are educators on this site who have terrible grammar and spelling .I hope they do not teach English .
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:45 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I will admit to one of these. I would say "I'm waiting with baited breath." I wondered how the phase came into being. I thought maybe a cat ate some cheese opened his mouth and waited for a mouse with baited breath.

I discovered it should be "I'm waiting with bated breath." Bated being the short verison of abated. Doesn't "I'm waiting with abated breath" sound strange. Plus bated is only one letter off abated. How lazy are we that abated just takes to long to say.
Kat--

I had a similar epiphany just the other day. I've been researching and writing our family history on my mother's side for well over a year now. The draft is now in excess of 20,000 words, and by the time I finish it'll be the length of a short novel. Here and there throughout the writing I've used a word which is a synonym for antecedent, "forbear." My eye landed on this word in the manuscript recently and somehow it just didn't look right. And of course, it isn't. "Forbear" is to patiently put up with something, to use restraint. The word I should have been using is "forebear," which is an antecedent, a progenitor, literally "someone who goes before."

Well, a global search and replace solved the problem and I'm very glad I caught it. One of the problems with homophones is that spell check will never help you. Of course in my example I suppose it could be argued that the two words are not true homophones, because the accent on "forbear" is on the second syllable, while in the case of "forebear" it is on the first.

Anyway, we all get caught out occasionally.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 905
Default

Do some of you jump to conclusions that easily?
Do some of you make personal value judgements about others so frivolously?

For example, the apostrophe button could be broken on someones keyboard....

Someone else could be illiterate and using/relying on spell-check to appear more literate than they truly are?.... perhaps even someone you chat with every day here?

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
Do some of you jump to conclusions that easily?
Do some of you make personal value judgements about others so frivolously?

For example, the apostrophe button could be broken on someones keyboard....

Someone else could be illiterate and using/relying on spell-check to appear more literate than they truly are?.... perhaps even someone you chat with every day here?


People who write use instead of used when referring to past tense

People who write I seen instead of I saw

In addition I have a neighbor who teaches children in the third grade and can't complete sentences verbally without saying "you know" .
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:11 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
the apostrophe button could be broken on someones keyboard....
Apparently yours.

Online, there are a limited number of indicators that let us size up those who post. Naturally, the proper or improper use of language is one of them.

Language evolves, to be sure; but it needn't be abused. There's a line there somewhere, not always a bright one, but somebody has to stand up for what's correct. And man am I glad my apostrophe key works.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Marc's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 3,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Apparently yours.

Online, there are a limited number of indicators that let us size up those who post. Naturally, the proper or improper use of language is one of them.

Language evolves, to be sure; but it needn't be abused. There's a line there somewhere, not always a bright one, but somebody has to stand up for what's correct. And man am I glad my apostrophe key works.
WOW!!!

Finally a post wherein AR and I agree.

Of course, I agree with Luann 100%.
__________________
Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:38 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 905
Default

Bullies come in all forms it seems. For all your verbosity, you know nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:30 AM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Kat--

I had a similar epiphany just the other day. I've been researching and writing our family history on my mother's side for well over a year now. The draft is now in excess of 20,000 words, and by the time I finish it'll be the length of a short novel. Here and there throughout the writing I've used a word which is a synonym for antecedent, "forbear." My eye landed on this word in the manuscript recently and somehow it just didn't look right. And of course, it isn't. "Forbear" is to patiently put up with something, to use restraint. The word I should have been using is "forebear," which is an antecedent, a progenitor, literally "someone who goes before."

Well, a global search and replace solved the problem and I'm very glad I caught it. One of the problems with homophones is that spell check will never help you. Of course in my example I suppose it could be argued that the two words are not true homophones, because the accent on "forbear" is on the second syllable, while in the case of "forebear" it is on the first.

Anyway, we all get caught out occasionally.
I love Control H I use it all the time in Excel and MS word to replace all. Instantly your Forbears are Forebears.

I'm doing a family tree right now. For my Birthday I asked for Ancestry.com six month membership. I'm working on my mom's side of the family. My four Great Grandparents all came over to Hawaii from Portugal 1885, 1879, 1882, and 1883. The 1930 Census is awesome it required year of arrival for immigrants. Then (or is it Than) I found a website that listed all the ships that went from Portugal to Hawaii. I think my great grand father who came over in 1885 was a stowaway 46 on board.

Do you have any tips from research family history?
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:36 AM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

I had a boss who sent us a goodbye/thank you message. The message listed advice to make us better employees. One of the things was to not be a "no it all." I was going send an e-mail to point out the correct phase is "know it all" and ask her if point that out would make me a "no it all" in her book. But I decided I don't retire for at least 15 years; best not send that career defining e-mail.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:37 AM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post

For example, the apostrophe button could be broken on someones keyboard....
Did you spill a diet coke on your keyboard? Or was that just me.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:47 AM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Apparently yours.

Online, there are a limited number of indicators that let us size up those who post. Naturally, the proper or improper use of language is one of them.

Language evolves, to be sure; but it needn't be abused. There's a line there somewhere, not always a bright one, but somebody has to stand up for what's correct. And man am I glad my apostrophe key works.
I was thinking of writing everything in number cypher then grammar won't be an issue. So instead of the letter it would be the number it appears in the alphabet so A is 1 etc...
For example

(2, 5, 23, 1, 18, 5) (20, 8, 5) (19, 17, 9, 18, 18, 5, 12, 19)

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Sadly this attitude is far to prevalent among young people today. Grammar and spelling give meaning to our words. Moving further and further away from standards makes communication more and more incomprehensible.

I enjoy seeing good grammar, spelling, construction and logic in writing, even on bulletin boards. Frankly, just like the clothes you wear, the language you use and the way you write DO affect people's perceptions of you and of the validity of your postings.

Ppl, that's IMAO. YMMV. CYA.
I am flattered to be considered a young person

To a point I agree. I do not like to read, and will pass over, a post in all caps.
I do like to put puntuations in so the text has the flow I intend.
I also know I am TERRIBLE with spelling and grammer.
My posts are never going to undergo the scrutiny my english papers received. I would make my wife cray... Baby, can you redline this post for me

I do re read them before I click post but stuff always seems to slip through.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:35 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I had a boss who sent us a goodbye/thank you message. The message listed advice to make us better employees. One of the things was to not be a "no it all." I was going send an e-mail to point out the correct phase is "know it all" and ask her if point that out would make me a "no it all" in her book. But I decided I don't retire for at least 15 years; best not send that career defining e-mail.
Yeah. (sigh).
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:44 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I'm doing a family tree right now.

Do you have any tips?
Before this morning I would have said sure, be glad to share. But now that I've been informed that I know nothing I'm a little hesitant. Still, if you're willing to roll those dice, I'd be glad to chat about it. Send me a PM with your e-mail, because I think it'd be better to take it offline, away from this stuff.

On our last crossing a couple months ago I suggested at the CC party that I'd be happy to arrange an informal get-together for anyone interested in family history research, since I was on my way to Guernsey to continue with mine. I included the caveat that I'm a relative rookie at this, but that I'd be glad to be a convener. To my surprise, eight or nine people from the group showed up, including a true black belt researcher, and we had a terrific session that lasted about an hour and a half.

I did a similar group for Sherlock Holmes fans with about the same results. Really fun.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 905
Default

Yes, Katlady, my apostrophe key does not work most of the time.
Cant be bothered to replace it, just so certain folks can be placated, and its just too much trouble to bring up the alt character screen every time I need one. The board bullies can just bite me.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:13 AM
MercedMike's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,236
Talking Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
Yes, Katlady, my apostrophe key does not work most of the time.
Cant be bothered to replace it, just so certain folks can be placated, and its just too much trouble to bring up the alt character screen every time I need one. The board bullies can just bite me.
You know, we are having a sensible and polite discussion here, until this post comes along. Example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
I am flattered to be considered a young person

To a point I agree. I do not like to read, and will pass over, a post in all caps.
I do like to put puntuations in so the text has the flow I intend.
I also know I am TERRIBLE with spelling and grammer.
My posts are never going to undergo the scrutiny my english papers received. I would make my wife cray... Baby, can you redline this post for me

I do re read them before I click post but stuff always seems to slip through.
You see, that puts a bit different slant on it than your first post did. It is very easy to be misinterpreted in what we say on this board, and how we say it. Misusing a word by accident, or by not knowing its precise shade of meaning, or by having it slip by proofreading, is different from not caring about grammar and punctuation. I misunderstood that to be what you were saying and I am sorry for the misinterpretation.

I certainly did not mean to "bully" you for mistakes, but I did intend to point out what I perceived as a poor attitude.

My spell/grammar program underlines four items in your post -- but that is not important. What is important is that the post is a calm and reasonable one. Insulting people with good grammar is, IMAO, much worse than misusing or misspelling a word!
__________________
Mike

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:02 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 905
Default

Mike, sorry if you are offended, but thats how I feel.

posted earlier: "Online, there are a limited number of indicators that let us size up those who post."

Some people cannot accept others just as they are. They have an overwhelming, consuming need to "size them up" and categorize them. Every board has an Alex Trebek, and the rest are all losers on Jeopardy.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Insulting people with good grammar is, IMAO, much worse than misusing or misspelling a word!
Thank you, sir.

Back when I was a freshman in high school I had an English teacher who--at the time--we all thought was absolutely brutal. Later, we realized that Mr. Keisman had done us a huge favor. Much later, I found him in his retirement and called him to thank him. I told him that if anybody tried to teach ninth graders the way he taught us, parents would stage a torchlight march on the school demanding his scalp. He laughed and admitted that I was probably right.

We had to write a 1,500-word paper every week. For our final project we had to write a 40-page analysis of a noted author and his or her works. Mr. Keisman had an interesting grading technique. First, he evaluated the overall content of the paper to arrive at an initial grade. Then he deducted "CC" points to determine the final grade. "CC" stood for "Cost of Carelessness." These errors would be marked "CC-2," with the number denoting how many points were being deducted. All punctuation, grammar and spelling errors were automatically CC deductions. Usage errors would vary depending on his analysis of what we "should have known" at the age of 14. There was no such thing as "Credit for Carefulness," because care was expected. That was baseline. If you had no CC deductions the initial grade stood, but you got no "extra credit" for that.

Not only did Mike Keisman teach me how to write, he taught me how to write carefully. I have been and will always be grateful to him. I still have that 40-page paper on F. Scott Fitzgerald. It was graded A-minus with no CC errors. It also has a note. . ."It has been a pleasure watching you grow this year."

Old habits die hard, and in this case I'm happy they do. Of course I still make my share of CC errors, but for writing that "counts" I've always been blessed with excellent copy editors who have kept me honest.

I'm certainly not good at everything, but I try to do whatever I tackle well. And I have a conceit that care with details leads to clearer thinking and more logical processes, whether the project is writing or anything else. I'm pleased to have a certificate of recognition hanging on my wall that cites me for "high standards and uncompromising attention to detail."

And to your specific point Mike, what bothers me is that these days our society seems to actively devalue intelligence, specificity, skillful communication and logical thought. My favorite quote from the primary season was the Texas politician who claimed that his adversary was "too smart to be elected to Congress." Dear God.

Finally, for those who may be wondering, I didn't go to some stuck-up private high school. It was a normal public school in New Jersey. Times have changed, haven't they?
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,828
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

Hi...

I just saw this so I want to reply to Luanne...

My dear, I care for you a great deal, and I do not want you to be offended. I certainly do see your point.

But I admit I am torn because I am a writer and I found the topic of the post personally very interesting. But I do agree that I did not like the way it was introduced.

So, I have a suggestion for AR and many of the other posters here -

Can I just ask everyone to go out of their way to be sensitive to people's feelings? And even though you don't mean any personal insults, just be aware that there are ways to say things so that they are not offensive to anyone. I see a lot of people trying to be "clever" in these boards, sliding ideas under the radar - well, the radar is better than you think and any knock does not raise my esteem for anyone - no matter how it is phrased.

Some people are great at math but not very good English. If I made a math error I would not want people saying I am "stupid".

I know it is hard, but I keep trying not to offend all the time.

But by the same token - it is also important for people to realize that not everything we read should be taken personally. We are all unique individuals as God made us and nothing is going to change that.

Just be who you are - and if you don't know or care about grammar - don't sweat it or take it personally. I happen to enjoy the topic, but I don't judge people who are not good at it.

But again, I ask everyone to just try a little harder not to be so "clever" with the little jabs that imply people are not smart that I see far too often in this forum. We get the jokes, but we are not that amused. Taking the high road is better for everyone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3rd, adjective, deluxe, grade, homophone, list, meanings, messages, place, powered, sound, soundalike, spelling, taday, today, vbulletin, wilcos, words


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1