Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Default Strange things

What is the strangest thing you have ever witnessed on a cruise ship ?
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Kuki doing stand up comedy

Old June 27th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Captain

a fistfight over a deck chair
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Admiral

I once saw a passenger who was probably about 45 punch a woman in the face because she cut into the line he was standing in .She was about 80 .
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM
First Mate

Henry, Oh my goodness! Did anyone do anything to the guy who punched the old lady?? sheesh!

**Strangest thing I have seen so far on a cruise ship:
Guy competing in hairy chest contest had shaved his chest hair into the shape of a "V" just for the competition....****

To me, that was just plain..weird.

CarnivalTriumph
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Banned
Captain

A lady whom I think was in her 30's was about to sit down at my table for dinner missed the chair completely and banged her hear on a chair leg opposite her.
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We were standing by the elevators, and, a girl ran by crying. Shortly thereafter, an officer ran after her. The jist of the story is some kind of sexual situaton gone bad. When we docked in Lauderdale, the Broward County sherriff's office, took him off in handcuffs.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; June 27th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Admiral

One time I cruise with HAL, I took the share cabin Program
Where you share a cabin with a stranger. I end up with a person from my home town. he lived 3 streets over from me!
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
Henry, Oh my goodness! Did anyone do anything to the guy who punched the old lady?? sheesh!

**Strangest thing I have seen so far on a cruise ship:
Guy competing in hairy chest contest had shaved his chest hair into the shape of a "V" just for the competition....****

To me, that was just plain..weird.

Security took him away .His wife and family were greatly embarassed .
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:06 AM
First Mate

One more: Lady comes bursting into the MDR ladies room and has to go badly. She is a very very large lady and the stalls are inordinately small and narrow. After she pushes the stall door open with a *slam*..she looks at me and says "I guess everyone is gonna have to watch me go to the bathroom cause I'm too fat to get the door shut to the stall!!!" I was a bit discombobulated by the whole thing but felt sorry for her immediately and decided to stand in the doorway of her stall (as best I could) in order to give her some level of privacy since she could not shut the door..

As I exited the bathroom, I see what appeared to be this woman's daughter holding her wheelchair. She described the woman and asked me if there were any problems in there. I said "Yes, perhaps you should have gone in with her..I helped her, she is ok now..She's washing her hands..Be out in a sec." I just thought it was terrible that the caretaker/daughter did not bother to go in and help her knowing she was disabled to begin with..

CarnivalTriumph
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:11 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

I don't know if I have any fun strange stories because on my cruise I think I was the 'strange' one!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Were you singing "People Are Strange" by the Doors ?
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:35 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

There are a few "foggy moments" during karaoke where it may have been possible...lol

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old June 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Admiral

I've never tried karaoke but since people often tell me I resemble the former lead singer of the Doors I may just try one of their songs sometime on a future cruise .
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKayden View Post
There are a few "foggy moments" during karaoke where it may have been possible...lol
Karaoke has definitely provided both hilarious and strange experiences on my cruises.

One of the funniest incidents I will never forget is during the Newly Wed Game. The crew member that was reading back the answers got her questions mixed up and told the wife the husband had answered "The Lady Next Door" when asked what's the first thing you reach for in the Morning.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
First Mate

On one cruise there was a guy wearing a Burger King mask all week.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:09 PM
Admiral

And we had a bride who got married onboard, and, wore her wedding dress for about 3 days!

Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

this!

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old July 3rd, 2012, 01:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
One time I cruise with HAL, I took the share cabin Program
Where you share a cabin with a stranger. I end up with a person from my home town. he lived 3 streets over from me!
That would be cool. Did you get along, still keep in touch?

11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries

Next cruise: None scheduled
PM me if you need a cruisemate for any Europe, transatlantic, or Panama Canal cruises
Date, ship, cost pp
Old July 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Strangest thing I ever saw was Me onstage with CD Mark Price on Carnival Glory. We were on the CruiseMates Glory B cruise.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 4th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Strangest or just plain weird was when we were on RCCL and a disgruntled male passenger was standing in the middle of the atrium loudly asking other passengers to join him in a 'mutiny'...There was a small crowd who were just staring like..."is this some sort of live theatre performance"? We didn't really understand what his 'beef' was and didn't want to get too close to the circle of on-lookers. He also had some sort of petition he wanted everyone to sign so the Captain and other officers could be replaced of course right away and while we were at sea!!!! (Why???)

He was told gently to 'quit' or he would be put off the ship. Some uniformed officers were speaking with him the last we saw. Never saw him again after that. Hummmmm...
Old July 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Strangest or just plain weird was when we were on RCCL and a disgruntled male passenger was standing in the middle of the atrium loudly asking other passengers to join him in a 'mutiny'...(Why???) ..
Yes - this kind of thing does happen more than one might think. If a ship misses a port and there isn't any compensation, etc etc then sometimes some passengers start to think they can tell the cruise line what to do, and (of course) with idjits like that their thinking is always "there's strength in numbers."

Those kinds of people just kill me. It's like they think "this is a democratic society, so if I have a consensus I can do whatever I want." (they seem to forget there are things like rules and contracts - all that goes out the window if they can just get enough people).

Old July 4th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Admiral

FM, we saw the video of tha mutiny online. I think if you google it, it might bring back memories. It was amazing to see some people get crazy,and others join in!

Old July 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Banned
Captain

The strangest thing I ever did was to go on stage (I was picked) with a famous singer whom I can't remember the name...(He sang the song titled ..."Only you"..I think the lead singer of the platters, Not sure) I was totally embarrased..I can't sing a lick...and when the part came where you had to sing "Only you in somewhat of a high tone I absolutely detroyed the song...

I did get a signed cassette tape which I have lost since then...Also he mentioned on the cruise ship that he had recently undergone triple bypass surgery...and you know what...I remember he hit that song perfectly, he never missed a beat.
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
FM, we saw the video of tha mutiny online. I think if you google it, it might bring back memories. It was amazing to see some people get crazy,and others join in!
No kidding! I think sometimes when people are on vacation they pack everything but their commonsense. I'm amazed that the ships staff and crew maintain as much self-control as they do! I'm going to try goggling the incident ...IF you've seen it, I'm the woman in the background with her mouth hanging open in disbelief!

Paul: The only other time we've seen disgruntled passengers was on our cruise to Alaska. The captain couldn't even get us close to Hubbard Glacier because of all the floating ice bergs. We could see off in the distance a Celebrity ship trying to tac slowly and carefully OUT of the dangerous situation they had gotten into...(the ship had gone in a little to far) To our immediate left was a Princess ship waiting with us (RCCL's Radiance of the Sea's) to see what they should do. The ice bergs were floating everywhere...large to small...and of course everyone knows what you see is only the 'Tip' of an ice berg (sorry couldn't resist) Finally our Captain announced that after careful consideration, for the safety of passengers and crew he would not be going into the bay any further. We could actually see the Princess ship turning back WHILE our captain was making the announcement. Evidently the captain of the Princess had made the same decision...and in front of us, there was the Celebrity ship still painfully and slowly making her way back to somewhat safer waters. Anyway, you should have heard this small GROUP of passengers on the deck very loudly saying things like..."What a chicken"..."this is so stupid"...."Ah come on, get real!!"..."Hey lets all go up there to the captain and see what's really going on"...the more these people complained, the more other people joined in with their negative comments. Passengers who were perfectly satisfied with the Captains' explanation just moments ago NOW because of this 'mob' mentality felt differently. But happily, within minutes everyone had calmed down and when inside for their hot toddies...etc.

PEOPLE can be the strangest thing you experience on a cruise!
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Admiral

What I thought was strange happened on a ten day Mexican Riviera cruise aboard the Celebrity Mercury.
A man who was in the cabin next to mine was very polite, but every time I saw him he had something to complain about. You name it, he seemed to dis-like everything including the ports of call.

I said goodby to him as we were dis-embarking and he told me that he had booked two cruise while aboard, including one on the same ship. Then told me that he did a least three Celebrity cruises every year.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!