Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:51 AM
Captain

Default Would Americans accept new Canadian polymer currency?

I remember at work there was a woman who would not take a Canadian penny. She would hand it back to the customer. I was wondering if anyone has encountered the situation where an American in the USA was presented with the new Canadian currency. I personaly would have to find out what the value of the currency was compared to American currency just as I would if someone paid me with a Euro. And finally I would ask for identification before compeleting the transaction.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I doubt we get any in Texas. Some businesses along the border take pesos though.

I'm hoping I get to see some of the new currency this month on my Canada cruises. I think it's a good idea.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM
Admiral

You'll find the look and feel of the new currency is very strange.
We also have a new design of the Looney ($1 coin turned 25 on Friday) and the Tooney ( $2 coin).

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Occasionally I find Canadian coins in circulation where I live .Most likely because I am 10 minutes away from a beach resort that people visit from all over North America .
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
Admiral

What I have found that Americans including your banks won't accept our dollar and two dollar coins.
In the near future Canada will not be producing and using the penny. I think production is already stopped.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
Admiral

I love Canadian bills . I tend to keep the ones I come home with .
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM
Captain

Default Wow no more Canadian Pennies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloops Cruiser View Post
What I have found that Americans including your banks won't accept our dollar and two dollar coins.
In the near future Canada will not be producing and using the penny. I think production is already stopped.
This is very interesting. I was not aware that pennies would not be produced,
but I understand that with the high cost of producing the metal pennies that this would occur. The USA has been talking about eliminating the metal pennies. I guess they are going to wait and see how the public reacts to this currency change. Thanks for information.
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
This is very interesting. I was not aware that pennies would not be produced,
but I understand that with the high cost of producing the metal pennies that this would occur. The USA has been talking about eliminating the metal pennies. I guess they are going to wait and see how the public reacts to this currency change. Thanks for information.
Link attached about Canadian Penny.

Canadian Mint rolls out last penny - Manitoba - CBC News

The penny will no longer be distributed to banks starting this fall (2012).

Ships Sailed:

Old July 1st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Captain

The big complaint seems to be that the polymer bills stick together, thus one overpays... (a $50 or $100 overpayment can be a bit of a hit to the budget, so be careful). The polymer $20 bill is next on the agenda.
FYI: Canada produces currency for several countries, so you might see those bills on your travels.
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
The big complaint seems to be that the polymer bills stick together, thus one overpays... (a $50 or $100 overpayment can be a bit of a hit to the budget, so be careful). The polymer $20 bill is next on the agenda.
FYI: Canada produces currency for several countries, so you might see those bills on your travels.
The only bill in wide circulation is the $20. The $50 and above aren't accepted by almost all business. Only banks accept $50 and up. I've asked for $50 and I only got the older style. I don't know if $50 and up are produced in the new style.

Ships Sailed:

Old July 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The only bill in wide circulation is the $20. The $50 and above aren't accepted by almost all business. Only banks accept $50 and up. I've asked for $50 and I only got the older style. I don't know if $50 and up are produced in the new style.
The $20s don't come out until November. Only the $50s and $100s are currently out.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:39 PM
Familiar Face

Somehow I have a ton of Canadian pennies and Italian gettones (don't ask me how, I have no idea). Do y'all want them back?
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
The $20s don't come out until November. Only the $50s and $100s are currently out.
I've already been given the new $20 by the bank machines and the from the teller.

Ships Sailed:

Old July 1st, 2012, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsywych View Post
Somehow I have a ton of Canadian pennies and Italian gettones (don't ask me how, I have no idea). Do y'all want them back?
Not really!!!!!

Ships Sailed:

Old July 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I've already been given the new $20 by the bank machines and the from the teller.
That's wild. Bank of Canada says November. I work for a Financial institution, I haven't seen any $20s yet. My ATM gave me 5 old ones yesterday.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...s-new-20-bill/

Is that what you got?

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Captain

I just got back from a trip to Montreal and Ottawa. I got polymer $50 and $100 bills, but no $20 yet, just the old paper ones.
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
That's wild. Bank of Canada says November. I work for a Financial institution, I haven't seen any $20s yet. My ATM gave me 5 old ones yesterday.

New Canadian $20 polymer bill unveiled by Bank of Canada | News | Financial Post

Is that what you got?
I've received the new $20 about 3 times from my bank in the last month.

Ships Sailed:

Old July 1st, 2012, 01:51 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
You'll find the look and feel of the new currency is very strange.
We also have a new design of the Looney
I too find it to be Looney Tunes...lolol