Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Default Music Groups

Next saturday night there will be an oldies concert in my part of NY . I read the names of the groups appearing and was surprised to see one particular group listed .Its a 4 man group ,however ,none of the 4 were members of the original group .

Would you go to a concert to hear great songs but not by the original artists or would you tend to stay away ?
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Admiral

for $20 I'd go...for $150 I'd stay away. That kind of money, I want the original. However, Vivaldi has been dead a long time, I still pay to see his work

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Default This concert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
for $20 I'd go...for $150 I'd stay away. That kind of money, I want the original. However, Vivaldi has been dead a long time, I still pay to see his work

Its an in a park FREE concert .

With Vivaldi's music you have no choice .
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM
Captain

The Platters used to tour with just one member, who passed away recently. He didn't sing lead, a young guy did. I suppose his bass guitar could be played by anyone reasonably talented, however, he peppered the concert with anecdotes, and made it quite clear who was in charge during the performance. I suppose the rest of the group could continue as a tribute band.
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Its an in a park FREE concert .

With Vivaldi's music you have no choice .
Go, free in the park, what's to lose.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Default Very true ,but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Go, free in the park, what's to lose.

Last year we went with friends to a similiar concert .The band was awful .After one song approximately 50 % of the audience left . The people I was with felt it was rude to do this .After the third song nearly everyone left .After the 5th.my group left .
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Last year we went with friends to a similiar concert .The band was awful .After one song approximately 50 % of the audience left . The people I was with felt it was rude to do this .After the third song nearly everyone left .After the 5th.my group left .
, ok, I guess there is stuff to lose . Like your Sanity

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:51 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

I vote "go"

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Henry, so you're thinking about a concert where none of the original members are present. How do they market themselves as the group? I guess they could buy the rights to the name; but if no one from the original band are singing or playing then it would be like seeing the faux Beatles. I guess if you like that groups music, and its a free concert, then give it a shot.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

There is a band here in Lakeland that our member "Sky" plays tuba in. Forgive me Sky I forget the name of the band. I plan to get there in the near future.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Default I will name the group

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
Henry, so you're thinking about a concert where none of the original members are present. How do they market themselves as the group? I guess they could buy the rights to the name; but if no one from the original band are singing or playing then it would be like seeing the faux Beatles. I guess if you like that groups music, and its a free concert, then give it a shot.

The group is The Duprees . Three of the original singers are dead.I don't know what happened to the 4th.member . The new group of 4 singers market themselves as The Duprees and the concert is to celebrate 50 years of their existence . All of the songs were recorded by the original band members .
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The group is The Duprees . Three of the original singers are dead.I don't know what happened to the 4th.member . The new group of 4 singers market themselves as The Duprees and the concert is to celebrate 50 years of their existence . All of the songs were recorded by the original band members .
oh yea the do-wop group from the 50's. See the pyramids, "you belong to me" I have them and 20 other do-wop groups on my ipod.

Go Reds
Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
There is a band here in Lakeland that our member "Sky" plays tuba in. Forgive me Sky I forget the name of the band. I plan to get there in the near future.

Laura
Thanks for thinking of me Laura. I play Tuba, and sing with the "Lakeland Concert Band". We're usually about 90 members strong, and play concerts here in our fair city from September, till about May. Any of you who are in our area during those winter months, are more than welcome to attend one of our concerts. I think you'll have a GREAT time, and the price is right!
As far as the question raised in this post, I probably would attend if the cost isn't too great. As noted above, there are lots of the old groups, still playing, but with only one or two of the original members. Most of 'em are still very entertaining, and sound VERY much like they did 20, 30, or even 40 years ago.

"SKY"
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Why is it that when I was in NH I was never able to get tickets to Jimmy Buffet at Great Woods in Massachusetts for less than $200? I was never able to spend that much money for a ticket. Being so far from home I would need to get a room too so I gave up. Here I found tickets when he played at the 1-800-Ask Gary Amphitheater. The tickets were $100 and under. Wonder why.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 7th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Maybe because Jimmy Buffett lives in Florida and he gives a break to his friends in Florida. My brother used to see him all the time in Palm Beach, Miami area for real cheap.

Go Reds
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Admiral

I once played a "trip et" when I was in High School with a couple of guys of which many of you have never heard, Arthur Ferrante and Louis Teicher. They played twin pianos together from the age of 12. Sadly both are now gone. You'll know who they are when you hear the hit version of the Theme from "Exodus," the Theme from "The Apartment" and several other pieces which they made famous back in the sixties when instrumentalists were in vogue. They were the epitome of concert pianists and unbelievable showmen. No one today could repeat their performance (they used to do things with their twin Steinways using inserts into the strings, etc. thereby getting tones you'd never believe).
I had snuck into the auditorium where they were hosting a "Community Concert" during practice (absolutely verboten but I did it anyway). I just stood there mesmerized until I think it was Teicher asked me if I played. I said no, I just banged a lot of Boogie and rock 'n roll but was in no way a musician. They told me to come over and Ferrante said, "Let's have some fun since we're through anyway" and we did a version of "Chopsticks" you'd never believe. That evening there was a huge groan when before they began to play they announced they wouldn't be doing Exodus because they felt it didn't sound right without a complete orchestra background. During their last curtain call, Louis Teicher looked out into the audience (I was second row up front with my mother and twin brother) and stated, "We are now going to do something we said we wouldn't nor have we ever done while on tour and it's dedicated to that young man in the second row. They then sat down and played the theme from "Exodus." The entire audience went wild!

Also did "The Twist" on stage with Chubby Checker back in '97 when he did a thing at the local college.

Other than once seeing The Platters in Virginia Beach (I think three were then alive and still performing) back in the early seventies), that's about it for moi.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Admiral

I saw the Platters on Majesty of the Seas; I believe it was 1998. I love music from the 50-60's. Have seen a lot of do-wop bands; both original and remakes(ususally one original and the rest newbies). Anyway, I love music and enjoy seeing all the groups. I love when Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire play together; although this year Chicago is playing with the Doobie Brothers; at least they were in Cincinnati where I live.

Go Reds