Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Captain

Default We got hit by the High Park Fire - NEED a cruise!

Hello all. I haven't been around the board for a while for two reasons.

First, I direct a camp and conference center in Colorado and June begins our busy season.

Second, on June 9 we were evacuated because of the High Park fire. On Thursday June 28 we were allowed back to our homes. We were not able to move in until Monday, July 2 because of needing to clean the house and the lack of power which up in our area means lack of water also. We actually moved back in a day before we got power back.

Our facility got hit pretty bad. We lost 12 structures and over half our trees on our 320 acre property. The house we live in was fine but our staff house where our cooks were living for the summer burnt to the ground along with their stuff.

I have been putting updates on our web site:

Buckhorn Camp - Home

As bad as it is for the camp, we were actually lucky. My Facilities Manager and his wife lost their home (they live nearby) and we have other friends who also lost theirs. I can not begin to imagine how hard this is.

So, instead of having a facility full of people on a "land based cruise" I am sitting in my office looking out over a charred landscape. Sad. Of course we have insurance and of course we will likely rebuild but the area around here will not be the same and will take years to recover.

So, I am thinking about a cruise in the early fall. That is a time that I usually could not get away from work but we will be closed all this year. I am sure I will be ready to get away after dealing with the insurance and all the crap I have to deal with now. I have only been on one cruise on the NCL Dawn in the Caribbean and it was a blast! My wife was on that cruise and has taken one since with her Sister - we are hooked.

My question is, where would be a good place to cruise at that time of year. We could do the Caribbean again and that would be fine, but I would like to try another route. I would love to do a cruise to Europe but I don't think we would be able to swing the cost of that one at this time. We have booked a cruise back from Spain in 2013. We plan to walk part of the Camino Del Santiago and then cruise back to the US.

Thank for letting me share. That always helps.
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Mars...what a saga...so glad to hear you are ok....so sad to hear about your friend's losses.

Most of the ships are still in Europe, so check dates with your ta..if you want to cruise deeper into the Caribbean try looking out of San Juan..Also, it you have time, see when the longer cruises from Miami begin, you can get to the deep Caribbean, that way too.

Some of the transatlantics coming back from Europe, can have amazingly low rates, so factoring the air into that could be doable.

As always,stop by here, for lots of shoulders to lean on.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Captain

Thanks Trip, I will look into that.