Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Admiral

To answer the question: No. Other than a sort-of common language and vehicles (GM, Ford) Canada is still a foreign country. I'd no more move there than Great Britain.

I know a couple American nuclear power executives who looted the coffers of Ontario Power about 10 years ago in the Pickering nuclear plant mess. One was my former plant manager at TVA. They were 'landed immigrants' which I guess gave them lots of citizenship rights - except citizenship. 'Gene' made out the best and I think he got over $5 million Canadian during his contract. But when it was done he quickly moved back home. He liked it better in the U.S. even though he was living a fairly privileged life in Canada.
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I think I can find a warmer way to build my character

I used to live in SW Washington. It never got super cold but there was about 1 month of sub freezing and I never owned a coat... If that didn't build my character it's too late for me.
Come on to Pennsylvania...in the winter it gets so cold that the tears actually freeze on your face....It can get BONE CHILLING.
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:40 AM
First Mate

Default Dual citizenship benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
quote Kamloops Cruiser "As a Canadian I'm just going to sit back and see the dirt fly."

"Wheres the KABOOM?!
There was supposed to be an Earth-Shattering KABOOM!"

I hereby officially re-affirm my faith in humanity.... for now.
I found out that you can get dual citizenship for US and Canadian citizenship.
Personally, I wouldn't go for dual citizenship because I do not see many benefits in getting Canadian citizenship. Maybe double-dipping on old age and medical benefits? Hiding from a mad wife? And if there was a draft, an escape state to get away from the draft. Although it would be easier to claim religious beliefs conflict rather than getting into the citizenship process. Another negative would the administrative charges. No thanks. The benefits do not outweigh costs.
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Admiral

No Kaboom!

We are learning how to get along.

I spent money and had to take a test to become an American Citizen, so I think I will just keep my Citizenship.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
I found out that you can get dual citizenship for US and Canadian citizenship.
Personally, I wouldn't go for dual citizenship because I do not see many benefits in getting Canadian citizenship. Maybe double-dipping on old age and medical benefits? Hiding from a mad wife? And if there was a draft, an escape state to get away from the draft. Although it would be easier to claim religious beliefs conflict rather than getting into the citizenship process. Another negative would the administrative charges. No thanks. The benefits do not outweigh costs.
Your residency not citizenship will determine where you get medical and old age pension.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess