CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Would you trade in American citizenship for Canadian Citizenship? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/390402-would-you-trade-american-citizenship-canadian-citizenship.html)

omnipotent July 8th, 2012 09:20 AM

Would you trade in American citizenship for Canadian Citizenship?

As I was about to go across the border with passport in hand. I was wondering if US citizens were offered Canadian citizenship, would they take it. One benefit, that would be appealing, would be access to socialized medical care without having to wait for Obamacare to kickin. There are probably other benefits that I don't know about, but expert cruisemates probably know about these benefits and have opinions about this subject.

buttons16 July 8th, 2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omnipotent (Post 1437164)
As I was about to go across the border with passport in hand. I was wondering if US citizens were offered Canadian citizenship, would they take it. One benefit, that would be appealing, would be access to socialized medical care without having to wait for Obamacare to kickin. There are probably other benefits that I don't know about, but expert cruisemates probably know about these benefits and have opinions about this subject.

This thread can turn ugly real fast...I will just elect to say NOTHING.

Trackypup July 8th, 2012 10:22 AM

I'd like extra butter on my popcorn please while I put my feet up and watch this puppy unfold ;)

anniegb July 8th, 2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1437205)
I'd like extra butter on my popcorn please while I put my feet up and watch this puppy unfold ;)

Nice one TP - a UK citizen living in Canada :)

Annie

PS - I would keep an eye on this thread as well except I am off to Ireland tomorrow.

Lakers Fan July 8th, 2012 10:28 AM

I love Canada . My wife and I have been there 17 times .We've been to every major city except the one that Kuki resides in .Our goal is to go there next year .

However ,I love America ,love being an American and there is no way that I would ever desire to live anywhere else .

I lived the majority of my life in NYC . Ten years ago I relocated to "Smalltown" ,USA .However , I am less than an hour from Manhattan so I have the best of both .

BigMac July 8th, 2012 11:18 AM

LOL heck no.

I'm not allowed in Canada. :mrgreen:

buttons16 July 8th, 2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1437205)

I will take mine with no butter please...rofl

kbmeow July 8th, 2012 12:10 PM

Seeing I have US and Irish Citizenship which works in the Eu i am all set. I also live in the state with mandated health care too. But I do love the US. Thinking I might retire to Ireland as I can buy property there. D0 6m there and 6 m in the US. But I have 25+ years until retirement

kbmeow July 8th, 2012 12:12 PM

Also while I am pretty healthy. I would not fault anyone for Border jumping if there were sick and needed the healthcare.

Cruise Cat July 8th, 2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbmeow (Post 1437246)
Also while I am pretty healthy. I would not fault anyone for Border jumping if there were sick and needed the healthcare.

Yes, there are even agencies which help Canadian citizens line up doctors in the U.S. so they can get the health care they need. This is a big thing for upstate New York.

ship2shore July 8th, 2012 08:47 PM

"I'm not allowed in Canada"

There are days MY mommy wont let me out of my crib.:cool:

ToddDH July 8th, 2012 08:50 PM

I absolutely love Canada but I think people lose sight that as do all countries, Canada has its issues as well. There are no national panaceas.

I personally would not move simply because I'm a born and bred American who served, believes in and loves his country.

hez July 8th, 2012 10:04 PM

My dream would be to have dual citizenship. Best of both worlds!

ship2shore July 8th, 2012 10:12 PM

I wonder... are dual citizens eligible for draft/selective service (or whatever theyll call it next time)?

AR July 8th, 2012 10:20 PM

No.

Well, they won't let me post just "No" because it is less than 10 characters. But no is still the answer.

Kamloops Cruiser July 8th, 2012 10:20 PM

As a Canadian I'm just going to sit back and see the dirt fly.

CruisinK n J July 8th, 2012 11:44 PM

Would You Trade an American Citizenship for Canadian Citizenship?

No, I would not, but I'd sure like to visit! I'd like to see Donna again! I've read that there's an advantage in retiring in Europe, but that, like everything else, is okay if you've got lotsa moola.

Judy

Snoozeman July 9th, 2012 12:10 AM

Had some kin (United Empire Loyalists) move from the Carolinas to the Maritimes and upper Canada following the Rev War. I love visiting in summer, especially Nova Scotia, but too cold for me in winter.

I wouldn't trade for Canadian, but would for this:
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...46468894_n.jpg

Truck Cruiser July 9th, 2012 04:20 AM

Canada, no, too cold up there! Now there are some Caribbean Islands you might talk me into trading citizenship for...lol

Cruznut2 July 9th, 2012 04:35 AM

It seems to me that I remember two men that were Canadian citizens that lived in the US since childhood. Both of them joined the Army here and went to Viet Nam.

Laura

BigMac July 9th, 2012 08:36 AM

My mommy will let me go to Cananda... Canadians wll not.

jennc July 9th, 2012 01:16 PM

Just FYI to all you Americans, it is not always "too cold" We are sitting right now at 34 degrees celcius, that's about 100 degrees F in your lingo.

We don't all live in igloos and dress in MukLuks!!! Some people just need an education!!!!!!!

BigMac July 9th, 2012 02:17 PM

Maybe it's not cold now, in July. Lets hear how warm it is around the end of January. :cool:
Don't get mad, I won't move to Minnisota either.
Where I live it rarely freezes or gets to 100. It has been maxing out here around 80 on hot days, perfect for riding my motorcycle.

ship2shore July 9th, 2012 02:37 PM

BigMac... I understand that the cold weather builds character.

snorklr45 July 9th, 2012 02:43 PM

I would not trade my US citizenship for anything..HOWEVER..I must admit that I was once very very tempted to SAY that I was a Canadian...I was standing in line at a Mexican resort in Cancun... All the Americans being checked in were practically being spit on bythe employees of the hotel. They were also giving them double rooms when they had booked KING beds. On the other hand, Candians booking king beds got their king beds. Well guess what? My husband and I had a king bed booked..If I had just pretended to be a Canuk..We could have slept in the same bed..ROFLMAO

BigMac July 9th, 2012 03:18 PM

I think I can find a warmer way to build my character ;)

I used to live in SW Washington. It never got super cold but there was about 1 month of sub freezing and I never owned a coat... If that didn't build my character it's too late for me.

balabusta July 9th, 2012 10:22 PM

As the child of American parents, who resided in Canada during World World II, I have strong feelings for both countries. I love the United States and Canada. However, I was born and raised in the United States and am the child of parents' who were born and raised in the United States. The United States is my country. Both sets of grandparents' came to "America's welcoming shores" prior to the turn of the century to escape the horrific "pograms" in Russia. I value the freedom that the United States has given me and my family. At this point, I would not trade my United States citizenship in order to be a citizen of Canada. But, I must admit, Canada is as wonderful and welcoming to immigrants as the United States is!

Manuel July 9th, 2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamloops Cruiser (Post 1437438)
As a Canadian I'm just going to sit back and see the dirt fly.

I hope that it does not come to that.

TM

Kamloops Cruiser July 10th, 2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1437620)
I hope that it does not come to that.

TM

On some threads it has happened.

ship2shore July 10th, 2012 01:44 PM

quote Kamloops Cruiser "As a Canadian I'm just going to sit back and see the dirt fly."

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...in_martian.png

"Wheres the KABOOM?!
There was supposed to be an Earth-Shattering KABOOM!"

I hereby officially re-affirm my faith in humanity.... for now.