Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2012, 08:47 AM
Familiar Face

Default Would you lie under oath?

Say that you are in a courtroom and make an oath to tell the truth? Would you lie?

Personally, I wouldn't. However I believe that because a vast number of Americans have no moral compass, they would not hesitate to lie.

I also feel that this problem starts at the top of society with government officials and permeates society. It probably would be okay to eliminate the oath because many people say the oath but they have all kinds of reservations - such as religious beliefs, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Question Lie under oath

I would not lie, whether under oath or not.

However I agree with you, I think the vast majority of the public have no moral compass whatsoever.

I always like watching Judge Judy catch somebody in a lie. Usually they just grin and don't even look embarrassed at having 10 million people see them lie.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

I believe there are good reasons to lie. Questions like, "honey, does this make my butt look big"?, are the best reasoons I can think of.

Under oath, I would never lie. It has nothing to do with the bible for me.
I believe our justice system is only as good as the people who participate in it.

I won't lie to my boss either. I know alot of people who regularly lie to their boss. Once you get caught in a lie, your entire profesional credibility is gone.
I won't lie to my customers. See the line above about credibility.

Anyone who is quick to lie has no concern for their own reputation.

Outside of lilttle white lies to prevent hurting feeling unnessiserily I won't lie.

Old July 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
Banned
Captain

I would not lie under oath, nor do I lie in real life.

I once had a neighbor many year ago who lied about everything, from the amount of money he had to how important his job was.

One day he had a Mercedes Benz in the driveway...about 10 years old, He told me he paid $17,000 for it from a friend...I later found out he recieved it after his mom passed away. A few months later it was gone...then all his Jewelery....then his house...I guess he was'nt as important as he thought at his job....

The really bad thing about fibbing is, you have to remember all the lie's, and then look like a fool when you are proven to be not trustworthy.
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:03 PM
Admiral

The old saying goes "You never forget the truth"

I would like to believe I never would. I have issues with people who feel the need to lie or even just make up stuff.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I agree with most others, that I would not lie.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 21st, 2012, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

A person is only as good as his/her word. Of course I would not lie.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 21st, 2012, 10:55 PM
Captain

Come on people, you guys wouldn't lie to protect a friend, spouse, or family member? I absolutely wouldn't have a problem with it.

Who is more important, the strangers in the court room you will never see again or your family?
Your 16 year old kid is being tried as an adult for stealing a video game facing a 10 year sentence. A lie and she gets away with it and you punish them yourself. Who opts out?

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:01 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
Come on people, you guys wouldn't lie to protect a friend, spouse, or family member? I absolutely wouldn't have a problem with it.

Who is more important, the strangers in the court room you will never see again or your family?
Of course at times difficult situation's arise that may make you do something you normally would'nt....but most of us are under the impression that the OP meant would you lie on a normal basis....You can't always go by the book in certain instances.
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:13 PM
Admiral

I would like to sit here and say I wouldn't but until faced with a situation involving my family and loved one's, I really don't know.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
The old saying goes "You never forget the truth"

I would like to believe I never would. I have issues with people who feel the need to lie or even just make up stuff.
Quote:

Your 16 year old kid is being tried as an adult for stealing a video game facing a 10 year sentence. A lie and she gets away with it and you punish them yourself. Who opts out?
That was my point and why I answered the way I did. The one thing I’ve learned in life is “Never Say Never”

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Unhappy Liar Liar Pants on Fire

Quote:

A lie is a lie. A liar is a liar.

One of your drivers and your company is being sued for millions. A lie on your part and the case will be dismissed. Do you opt out?

You are being sued by a neighbor for $5000. A lie and you can win the case. Do you opt out?

A dog belonging to a friend of yours bit a neighbor. You can lie for him and say it was some other dog. Do you opt out?

Your son is about to lose his job at Greasy Burger for being late again. A lie about a family emergency will save his job. Do you opt out?

I guess a liar lies. Once you have established that, who will ever believe you again?

Winston Churchill was once sitting next to a society lady. A very rich and handsome bachelor Duke was also at the table. Churchill asked the lady, "Would you sleep with the Duke of Wherever for 10 million pounds?" The lady said, "I certainly would!" Then Churchill asked, "Will you sleep with me tonight for three pounds seven?" The lady haughtily said, "Of course not! What kind of girl do you think I am?" Churchill calmly replied, "We have already established that. We are just haggling over the price now."

Once you establish what you are, that is what you are.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post

One of your drivers and your company is being sued for millions. A lie on your part and the case will be dismissed. Do you opt out?

You are being sued by a neighbor for $5000. A lie and you can win the case. Do you opt out?

A dog belonging to a friend of yours bit a neighbor. You can lie for him and say it was some other dog. Do you opt out?

Your son is about to lose his job at Greasy Burger for being late again. A lie about a family emergency will save his job. Do you opt out?

I guess a liar lies. Once you have established that, who will ever believe you again?

Winston Churchill was once sitting next to a society lady. A very rich and handsome bachelor Duke was also at the table. Churchill asked the lady, "Would you sleep with the Duke of Wherever for 10 million pounds?" The lady said, "I certainly would!" Then Churchill asked, "Will you sleep with me tonight for three pounds seven?" The lady haughtily said, "Of course not! What kind of girl do you think I am?" Churchill calmly replied, "We have already established that. We are just haggling over the price now."

Well if you want to play games... a mad man is holding a gun to your childs head. He's determined to kill all children under the age of 2 years. Your son is 23 months. He asks you how old the child is... do you answer 23 months or 26?

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Admiral

I think most people agree that lying is not a good thing however until your put in a situation you may think you would act one way but then act another.
I have told my son in the past your word is priceless so be careful before you speak.

Like I said I would like to believe I wouldn’t lie under oath but if it meant that someone who committed a violent act against my loved on and they were going to walk free I may tweak the truth and I'm one of the most honest people out there.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:

Ok MercedMike....You wife is about to spend the rest of her life in prison with no hope or any chance whatsoever for a reduced sentence, she did'nt murder anyone...however got caught up in something she has regretted...she pleads with you and cries till her heart aches....you Mike on the other hand have a chance to save her from any prison sentence whatsoever...in fact all you have to say is.."she was with me last night"...do you save her...

If you say no...then I have serious reservations on your honesty....remember we are talking about being truthful on a daily basis...dont get that confused with something that goes wrong and you lie that one time....all rules are ment to be broken...and sometimes..maybe just sometimes...you have to really put your morals aside...

And if you can tell me that you have never ever lied not once to protect someone you love or for any other reason whatsoever then you are above 99.999999999999 % of the population in the world.

Did you ever keep that extra quarter, dollar you got in change from a store...if you did your a crook...

Did you ever find anything in the street of value and not turn it in to the police..if you did your a crook...

Did you ever pay a lower price on something you know was priced wrong...if you did your a crook...

See were we are going...you cannot stand their and tell me your near saint hood.....I am in no way being nasty...or trying to start anything...but just pointing out things that you can possibly do with out thinking, or just saying to your self...hey it only a supermarket, what is a dollar to them...

I once found a purse at Christmas time near a mall...inside the purse was $600....no one was near me nor saw me...I drove to the state troopers barracks and returned the money, purse and all info inside...I guess her picture ID showing she was very elderly did'nt hurt.

But to label someone a liar in life for a extreme circumstance is outragous.

Last edited by buttons16; July 22nd, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Well if you want to play games... a mad man is holding a gun to your childs head. He's determined to kill all children under the age of 2 years. Your son is 23 months. He asks you how old the child is... do you answer 23 months or 26?
Trackypup...look at my post just above...I wanted to come up with some extreme cause to lie...But your example blew mine away...If Mike says he would'nt lie...then I say we Knight him, as being the most honest person in the world.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Default Incredible situations

So are we going to play a game to create incredible situations here?

The OP said, "Wpuld you lie under oath in a court?" If you want to talk about madmen with guns and stupid ideas, we can probably come up with plenty of them. That example is a ridiculous imagination.

To suggest that a husband's alibi would be all that was needed in court to free a suspect will get a great laugh from any trial attorney. Obviously self serving testimony is easy for a good cross-examination to discredit. So that example doesn't fly.

Get real, people. The examples I gave are situations that might occur in real life. They are the ones you have to have a moral stand on. Writing fiction is a profitable occupation but does not reflect any real moral question.

Quote:
Did you ever keep that extra quarter, dollar you got in change from a store...if you did your a crook...

Did you ever find anything in the street of value and not turn it in to the police..if you did your a crook...

Did you ever pay a lower price on something you know was priced wrong...if you did your a crook...

See were we are going...you cannot stand their and tell me your near saint hood.....I am in no way being nasty...or trying to start anything...but just pointing out things that you can possibly do with out thinking, or just saying to your self...hey it only a supermarket, what is a dollar to them...
Gee, you're right. Doing any of those things would make you a crook. Now I never walked three miles through the snow to return two pennies like Honest Abe. But in any of the situations listed, I would do my best to correct the error, and I have done so in similar situations. I don't claim that makes me a saint. But I do claim to be an honest man and to work very hard to preserve my honesty.

I told a deliberate lie once. In Officer Training School we were required to get a hair cut every seven days. One week I slipped up and went eight days between haircuts. When the Training Officer asked me when my last haircut was, I thought of four hours marching in the hot sun and deliberately told him it was one week ago.

Now you probably won't believe that I actually still dream about that event that happened 45 years ago, and wake up shamed by it. But I do. Does that make me a saint? I don't claim sainthood. But I do try to be an honest man and my honesty is a precious thing. Shakespeare said it, "Who steals my purse steals trash... but he who filches my good name ...makes me poor indeed."

What do you teach your children? Would you be proud to have them read what you are posting here? I would be delighted to have my daughter read this, because that is the way I have tried to teach her.

If claiming to be an honest man somehow threatens others and makes them call me a hypocritical saint, then I truly wonder what the world is coming to.

Oh, oh, wait a minute! I just remembered -- I Photoshopped some of the pictures on my cruise pages. Is that dishonest??? Let's have a new thread on that.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Default Incredible situations

The OP said, "Wpuld you lie under oath in a court?" If you want to talk about madmen with guns and stupid ideas, we can probably come up with plenty of them. That example is a ridiculous imagination.

To suggest that a husband's alibi would be all that was needed in court to free a suspect will get a great laugh from any trial attorney. Obviously self serving testimony is easy for a good cross-examination to discredit. So that example doesn't fly.

Get real, people. The examples I gave are situations that might occur in real life. They are the ones you have to have a moral stand on. Writing fiction is a profitable occupation but does not reflect any real moral question.

Quote:

Gee, you're right. Doing any of those things would make you a crook. Now I never walked three miles through the snow to return two pennies like Honest Abe. But in any of the situations listed, I would do my best to correct the error, and I have done so in similar situations. I don't claim that makes me a saint. But I do claim to be an honest man and to work very hard to preserve my honesty.

I told a deliberate lie once. In Officer Training School we were required to get a hair cut every seven days. One week I slipped up and went eight days between haircuts. When the Training Officer asked me when my last haircut was, I thought of four hours marching in the hot sun and deliberately told him it was one week ago.

Now you probably won't believe that I actually still dream about that event that happened 45 years ago, and wake up shamed by it. But I do. Does that make me a saint? I don't claim sainthood. But I do try to be an honest man and my honesty is a precious thing. Shakespeare said it, "Who steals my purse steals trash... but he who filches my good name ...makes me poor indeed."

What do you teach your children? Would you be proud to have them read what you are posting here? I would be delighted to have my daughter read this, because that is the way I have tried to teach her.

If claiming to be an honest man somehow threatens others and makes them call me a hypocritical saint, then I truly wonder what the world is coming to.

Oh, oh, wait a minute! I just remembered -- I Photoshopped some of the pictures on my cruise pages. Is that dishonest??? Let's have a new thread on that. Actually let's make it a game. Look at the pics from our latest cruise at Australia and Indonesia Cruise. One is enhanced and one is photoshopped. Can you tell which?

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Admiral

So my example is stupid, but you could see yourself being in court defending your son for being late to his greasy burger job? PULLLLEEEASE

I think we just proved that you'd lie and you don't like it.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
remember we are talking about being truthful on a daily basis
The original topic of the post was "Would you like under oath?"; not would you ever lie.

Though it didn't take long for that topic to be driven off the road
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
The original topic of the post was "Would you like under oath?"; not would you ever lie.

Though it didn't take long for that topic to be driven off the road
And the examples shown prove that you have no idea if you would or not unless sitting in that courtroom with someone's life in your hands. No one can sit here and say they wouldn't as you have zero idea what the situation is.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnipotent View Post
Say that you are in a courtroom and make an oath to tell the truth? Would you lie?

Personally, I wouldn't. However I believe that because a vast number of Americans have no moral compass, they would not hesitate to lie.

I also feel that this problem starts at the top of society with government officials and permeates society. It probably would be okay to eliminate the oath because many people say the oath but they have all kinds of reservations - such as religious beliefs, etc.

I would not lie in a courtroom and I only lie on a bed
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Talking The real question

So we are still going on and on about lying under oath?

And nobody wants to deal with the REALLY important question I asked?

"Is it honest to photoshop a picture from your cruise??"

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:

Oh, oh, wait a minute! I just remembered -- I Photoshopped some of the pictures on my cruise pages. Is that dishonest??? Let's have a new thread on that.
Mike you are the one that started with incredible situations that would never happen...

You stated I am being sued for millions and one lie on my part would dismiss the suit...

You also stated I am again being sued this time by a neighbor for 5,000 and again one lie would dismiss the case...Like those are'nt incredible situations... How does one lie on my part dismiss a law suit for millions...you posed the same crazy extreme incredible situations...But then again I am talking to someone who sits here and says that they have nightmares about stating by accident that they had a haircut one day longer then a week...OMG...now that is really incredible.

Maybe Mike, if you would read over your post you would realize that you drew up the same incredible situations as we gave to you....to repeat the famous word of Trackypup...PLLLLEEEASE.

P.S. You still did'nt answer her question about your child's age...would you lie or not ? (And to put Kuki at ease..lets suppose you were under oath..)(does it really matter, seeing how Mike said he would never lie)...saying its incredible situation is not an answer.... myself and other's would like to hear you're answer.

Last edited by buttons16; July 24th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

As this thread seems to have turned into commenting on other posters rather than a comment on the subject, which is a violation of our terms of service, I am closing it.

Please remember the boards are for conversations about topics, not to comment on other posters.

As stated it a violation of our terms of service, and could lead to accounts being suspended.