Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:18 AM
Familiar Face

Default Pot smoking on cruise ships?

New poll says majority of U.S. favors legalizing marijuana
5/23/2012 Chances are the person next to you thinks it should be legal to put that marijuana in your pipe and smoke it. A new Rasmussen poll has found 56 percent of U.S. voters "favor legalizing and regulating marijuana similar to the way alcohol and tobacco cigarettes are currently regulated." The support for legalization is up nine percentage points from March this year, when Rasmussen found 47 percent of us believed in legalizing and taxing marijuana to help extricate the nation from our current financial jam. Fiscally-minded stoners of America might feel somewhat conflicted about such support.
So the question is would you favor allowing marijuana smoking on cruise ships?
I wouldn't but I seem to be in a minority since I don't want it to be legalized.
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Banned
Captain

I am against all illegal drug use unless prescribed by a doctor...I am not in favor however of any pot use whatsoever....medical or not.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

I learned alot about pot when my dad was dieing of cancer.
I can't believe it's illegal. When I saw how much it did for pops I became a legalize cheerleader.

Im no more pro pot smoking than cigarette smoking though. Both sure do stink.
Both are fine with me if it's not making someone else miserable.

I'd sure rather be around a bunch of stoners than alcoholics. I'd rather hide twinkies than watch that I don't say just the wrong thing to set some drunk off.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:43 AM
Captain

Smile

Sure why not as long as it didnt bother anyone else what diffrence would it make?I also feel that it should be legalized.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:10 AM
Captain

Ships follow the laws of the country they are registered in so even if the US legalized it would make little difference.

Very few ships are registered in the US for tax reasons. Also I would imagine if the US legalized it, and the ship was registered in the US, most ports would still have a problem with it. They would likely not allow allow the ship into their waters and would require you to stay 10 miles away for carrying illegal substances.

11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries

Next cruise: None scheduled
PM me if you need a cruisemate for any Europe, transatlantic, or Panama Canal cruises
Date, ship, cost pp
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Legal or not, I have seen plenty of people smoking pot on a cuople of my cruises.

It's a joke to keep it illegal, since they are not able to enforce it. It's available all over the world and people are not going to stop usingit.

Having said that, I have never used myself. My vice is wine. Let's hope that we can keek that legal.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I don't think the cruise industry would be interested in pot use, unless they could somehow sale it on the ships. They already have trouble with regular smoking, so why add something else to have to worry about.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Admiral

This is why you have to have a balcony cabin so it just blows away......

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I don't think the cruise industry would be interested in pot use, unless they could somehow sale it on the ships. They already have trouble with regular smoking, so why add something else to have to worry about.
Absolutely right. Cruise line PR departments would consider this a "no-brainer." They would simply say that it's not permitted on ships because by definition it is smoking and it has already been determined that smoking is a fire hazard. They would then ban it in the few regulated smoking zones on the grounds that it is annoying to tobacco smokers. They would avoid the "legal/moral" issues completely, and simply ban it as a practical matter consistent with existing policies.

Slam dunk.

Whether people actually do it and get away with it is a different matter. Tons of rules are broken on cruise ships every day. Some are winked at, some are not, and some are undetected. That won't change.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Can I just say that I think it's freaking hilarious that this thread is peppered with Coachella ads.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Can I just say that I think it's freaking hilarious that this thread is peppered with Coachella ads.
Right!!

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Admiral

What is Coachella?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
What is Coachella?
It's a drunken, drug infested music festival held every year in California. Celebrity has chartered Silhouette out to them for two cruises in December.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Captain

Marijuana is illegal?? Are you sure about this?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Thank you Pup. How very 60's of them.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Default YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
New poll says majority of U.S. favors legalizing marijuana
5/23/2012 Chances are the person next to you thinks it should be legal to put that marijuana in your pipe and smoke it. A new Rasmussen poll has found 56 percent of U.S. voters "favor legalizing and regulating marijuana similar to the way alcohol and tobacco cigarettes are currently regulated." The support for legalization is up nine percentage points from March this year, when Rasmussen found 47 percent of us believed in legalizing and taxing marijuana to help extricate the nation from our current financial jam. Fiscally-minded stoners of America might feel somewhat conflicted about such support.
So the question is would you favor allowing marijuana smoking on cruise ships?
I wouldn't but I seem to be in a minority since I don't want it to be legalized.
I favor the legalization of marijuana ,however ,not on cruise ships . I would like to outlaw all smoking .
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Admiral

How else are you suppose to eat all that food

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old July 24th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

If you want to smoke pot, that is fine with me. However, being on a ship where someone in a cabin VERY near mine decided to indulge in their vice, I was upset when it did affect me and my vacation. I smelled the damn weed anywhere in the corridor and inside my cabin....and I did NOT pay for that added feature. So, I don't think that allowing it on cruise ships is a good thing.....way to many people in a very enclose space can be subected to your smoke.

And, yes I do think marijuana does have some medicinal uses, with regards to nausea. But unless you are in your own home, where does the line get drawn? If in an acute care or long term care facility, how can you justify the odor spreading to other areas? Don't other people have rights to NOT be affected by your use? It is a sticky wicket as my english friends would say.
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
This is why you have to have a balcony cabin so it just blows away......
It doesn't just blow away it blows next door. Why am I suddenly craving White Castles?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

That was my point exactly.
I don't mind the weed butt potheads shouldn't force other to be stuck in your smoke.

Pops used to smoke his in the garage so his wife wouldn't get mad about the smell.

Old July 24th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Admiral

It blows past you so quick you don't even know where it came from. It's not like your sitting in a room with people in a cloud of smoke. You might smell it for a second.

I don't smoke weed but I would rather smell that than a cigarette and to be honest I think it smells pretty good.

I also don't believe it should be legal either.

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I remember a cruise on Carnival Celebration many years ago. We had a cabin on Main deck ocean view. The smell of pot war horrible. The next day we noticed that the 3 young men next door did not leave their cabin and there were security people nearby all the time. We wondered why. By this time the stench had cleared up. We found out that they had been the ones with the pot. When we got to Puerto Rico those young men were taken off the ship in handcuffs. I have no idea what happened to them but that room remained empty the rest of the cruise.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
First Mate

Many countries that cruise ships visit have extremely strict laws against bringing controlled substances across their borders. They normally have even stricter laws about using and distributing those substances in their countries.

Any ship captain who knowingly permits these substances onboard his ship when it visits these countries can be arrested, detained, fined, lose his license, have his ship seized, or cause his company's ships to be barred from ever entering those countries again. Why would he want to take these chances?

The odds of convincing all these countries to relax their drug laws is zero.
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:57 PM
First Mate

For someone that is very sick and in pain, I see no harm in allowing them to smoke the pot of their choice. I could care less if it helps them. I do not personally imbibe, but have seen the ravages of cancer on my own family members and wish they had had something more to help with pain..

CarnivalTriumph
Old July 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Laura I wouldn’t like it someone was smoking weed like a crazy person my guess is that they were younger people? I'll catch a whiff of it sometimes when I'm on my balcony but I'm not bothered by it.

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
For someone that is very sick and in pain, I see no harm in allowing them to smoke the pot of their choice. I could care less if it helps them. I do not personally imbibe, but have seen the ravages of cancer on my own family members and wish they had had something more to help with pain..
1 - Anyone ever think how much bloodshed is spilled by law enforcement officers battleing Pot....everytime you smoke it, you are in one way or another contributing to the bloodshed.

2- Do you really think pot will stop the pain of a cancer ravaged patient...come on....Pot is not a pain killer, it is a mind altering drug...There are drugs that are legal and administered by professionals for people stricken with cancer...
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Aerogirl, They were college age boys. There were no balconies on Celebration. They were smoking in the room and a person with a heavy head cold could smell that stink. The whole hallway smelled terrible. When we came back to our room after breakfast we saw the cabin steward going in there to clean. He opened the door and went in. He came running out and went somewhere. When he came back there were 2 officers with him. After that the boys were in the room and security was nearby. That was the first morning after leaving Miami sailing for Puerto Rico.They were taken off in handcuffs in Puerto Rico. I never heard what happened to them.
On another cruise on the Mardi Gras I was waiting for us to be able to leave the ship. In those days they did not call numbers and there was no self assist. We were waiting in the lobby for them to let us off. The luggage was off and it was being inspected by the dogs. The officers came in from from off the ship carrying a suitcase. They went right into an office and paged the passenger who owned the bag. A few minutes later I saw the police arrive. I never saw what happened after that as they let us off the ship.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 24th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
1 - Anyone ever think how much bloodshed is spilled by law enforcement officers battleing Pot....everytime you smoke it, you are in one way or another contributing to the bloodshed.
No doubt. And just replace "pot" with "liquor" and you describe prohibition in the United States.

Anyone ever think how much bloodshed is spilled by law enforcement officers battleing liquor....everytime you drink it, you are in one way or another contributing to the bloodshed

2-
Quote:
Do you really think pot will stop the pain of a cancer ravaged patient...come on....Pot is not a pain killer, it is a mind altering drug...There are drugs that are legal and administered by professionals for people stricken with cancer...
The chemical in marijuana a recognized palliative and its psychoactive effects are mild. That is why some states permit it for medical use and most Americans support general legalization.
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:

2- Do you really think pot will stop the pain of a cancer ravaged patient...come on....Pot is not a pain killer, it is a mind altering drug...There are drugs that are legal and administered by professionals for people stricken with cancer...
Your first point is a good arguement for legalizing pot.Just think how much money is spent on the war agaisnt pot and how many people are crowding are overfull prisons for pot related crimes! Now if it was legal there would be no need to have a so called war on pot or blood shed I also wonder how much money a tax on pot would raise? As far as your secound point you have no idea what makes some people feel better or not .Are you a cancer ravaged patient? I would think until you are in that situation you have no idea.It just seems odd to me that some people are so against pot and yet they partake in the comsumption of alcohol,I know alcohol is legal and pot isnt yet,But why are people so concerned with what the other person is doing if someone wants to smoke a little weed once in a while I could really care less. By the way I do not smoke anything any more back in the day now that was a diffrent story but that all came to a quick end when my wife told me she was pregenant with are first child.
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Admiral

I'm not as think as you stoned I am
Very few will get this!

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013