Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Default Aurora

I hope that this forum that extends get well wishes, condolences and hopes for peace to so many who are sick or who pass away will join me in heartfelt hopes for peace for the people of Aurora, whether or not they were directly affected by the violence.

They need our support, even if it is quietly expressed, and they need to find peace.

Two of Terry's cousins live in Aurora; one of my best friends in the world--if I had a brother it would be him--lives there too along with his wife. One of Terry's best friends from the days before we ever met lives there as well. That's five friends and relatives in that town. When we visit there we have to be sure we plan to spend enough time to "make the rounds." This weekend we've been spending a fair amount of time on the phone telling those people that we love them.

Theaters are special places to me; my first job as a kid was as a projectionist in a theater, and I went on to be a filmmaker. I've been active in theater organizations such as the Theater Historical Society, and I've advocated for the preservation of historic theaters. I won't be melodramatic and say that I equate them with churches (because I don't), but they are places where we go to escape the world, not be crushed by it.

There has always been evil, and there always will be. Even so, in addition to giving what support we can to the victims, we owe it to ourselves to start asking the hard questions, and to work as reasonable people to find some answers. That would be the best way to honor the dead and injured.

Last edited by AR; July 22nd, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I agree with you AR, until you got to the part about the hard questions. That is easy to figure out. I knew why as soon as I read his Match.com profile on line.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Captain

Tragically, this is a road the United States has been down before, and will be again and again. As long as we couldn't be sure the guy wasn't stockpiling high-tech assault weapons and ammunition in order to do some 2nd Amendment justice on a tyrannical government, he had to be allowed to do it.

That argument has been already been debated and won by those who believe it. And if you think I'm being radical, google the NRA's position on armor-piercing (aka "cop killing") bullets.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Admiral

We do not know all the facts in this case, so all of us will have to speculate, but I will be surprised if it does not come out that this young man had mental problems, and his family were unable to do anything about it.

I was stuck by his mom's statement when she found out that the shootings had happened. She said "You probably have the right person."

In this country, a mentally ill person can not be forced to get help, until they have already broken the law.

I know that gun control will be once again be gone over, and over, and once again law abiding citizens will suffer, but I hope all the possible reasons will be looked at.

As always, I continue to pray for those lost, and those hurting.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
Admiral

I wanted to come back and clear up something that I said earlier about the shooters mom.

You can see what I said above, but I made the mistake of listening to ABC for the facts. It has since been said that she said she was the shooters mom.

I am sorry I gave false info.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 6th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Admiral

It's interesting. . .

When I started this string it was about condolences and support for the people hurt by the theater shooting in Colorado. By the second or third reply it had swung to gun issues. This is not bad or wrong--I participated in that discussion as well. But in looking back I find it a little sad that while the people here will post memories and condolences by the dozen for good people like Andy Griffith and Ernest Borgnine, each of whom lived wonderful, long lives and died of natural causes, they didn't have much to say about Aurora. I'm not saying that these gentlemen didn't deserve tributes, but the Aurora situation is far more tragic given the ages of the victims and the violence involved. And yet the silence was deafening in comparison.

And now, before this string even falls off the first page, we have another massacre in Wisconsin, again accomplished with one or more of those weapons that's "just a gun, neither good nor bad." But terribly convenient.

My thoughts are with those good people in suburban Milwaukee today, and I hope yours are too, even if you don't say so.
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Admiral

There has always been evil, and there always will be. Even so, in addition to giving what support we can to the victims, we owe it to ourselves to start asking the hard questions, and to work as reasonable people to find some answers. That would be the best way to honor the dead and injured.

The above are your words. It looks like you opened the door, and we walked through. I guess we had better watch where we walk from now on.

I have found CM people to be the kindest, most loving people anywhere.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 2nd, 2012, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The rest of the posts in this thread were moved to Open Debate,

Aurora CO - Right to Bear Arms?

You can discuss the right to bear arms there. Thank you!

[Paul Motter - Ed.]