Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Default Question For Our Canadian Friends

On occasion, I watch a Canadian TV show, thatís broadcast in Canada, that also has found its way into the U.S.

On this show, the hosts speak in terms of inches, feet, miles, ounces, pounds (weight), bucks (a United States slang term for the dollar Ė " it costs 5 bucks"), and miles-per-hour.

The last time I was in Vancouver, Canada was fully Metric, as the 355ml can of Coke I purchased can attest.

So my question is, do you guys still colloquially use the Imperial System in conversation, or is this TV show geared for a U.S. audience?

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:37 PM
Admiral

That's an interesting observation Mean Dean, and a perfectly good question!
My experience is that those of us "of a certain age" who were brought up with the imperial system, still use it in conversation, and have never fully figured out the metric system.
I still own a "yard stick" not a "metre stick" and I keep a chart at the side of the computer to translate our Celcius temperatures into Farenheit for you CruiseMates (and myself!)

However, if you're talking to anyone of the younger generation, for instance, my kids, they all learned "metric" in school, so that is what they know.
Hope that clears it up!

donna
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:12 PM
Admiral

A lot of items in stores are sold by the kilogram but list the per pound price as well. A lot of lumber products are sold in imperial measurement not metric. This is because our largest trading partner is the US and still uses the imperial system.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM
Familiar Face

Like Rollerdonna, I grew up with imperial measurements, then had to learn metric, so yes, many of us use imperial measurement terms in conversation - and some conversions are easier to remember than others. I'm fine with miles versus kilometres and pounds versus kilograms, but I frequently forget the formula for converting temperature, and still think of fuel efficiency in terms of mileage rather than litres per hundred kilometres. And I still use the imperial system for baking and cooking measurements! I think it's funny that my girls, who were both raised totally with the metric system, go to the hairdresser and ask to have an inch cut from their hair! Living across the river from Detroit, our older daughter hears imperial measurement terms all the time from the American tourists as well as radio, so she has become comfortable with both. This is probably true of most border communities.
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For this American, who never heard it called Imperial System, I can tell you when they tried to change it, we all revolted. Job well done.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Actually, Trip, we did get converted albeit partially.

That's why we have 2-liter bottles of Coke right next to the 20-oz bottles!

I also remember speed limit signs on the highways which had a large 55 MPH sign on top of a smaller KPH sign. Supposedly we were supposed to do that for a few years, and then the sign placement would be reversed, and then the MPH sign would be eliminated altogether. I guess the only sign that got eliminated was the KPH sign.....