Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:25 AM
Admiral

Default Wednesday morning, EARLY Wednesday Morning

Moved into the guest room yesteday because the bed is much lower. Getting into and out of the elevated King Size bed as been just pure agony.

I have plenty of heavy duty pain killers but won't take them (I could make a fortune with them on the street at 15 to 25 bucks a pill...hmmmm......). Seriously, while they work, I don't like the side effects (groggingness and just (New Yorkers will understand this term) just feeling "stunod." the pain has increased in intensity although remains if not manageable, bearable because of my high tolerance for pain. I think the lower bed will significantly modify that.

Also, my sleep apnea has approached what I guess could be caused epic proportions and both Jeff and my family doctor are besides themselves. Seems that all of these "Sleep Centers" are individually owned and it got so bad that the second one was doing the same exact thing the first one was as regards the initial study two years ago. The girl said, "But you have to take the first test, Medicare insists." It was all I could do to repeat (as I did to the first one) in a measured tone (I can't believe I controlled myself), "Would you please just read the damned filed that's sitting in front of you?" She did and I got the standard, "Oh, yeah."

Unbeknownst to me, when I had my pneumonia (which I didn't even know I had) my O2 bottomed out to such an extent that I damned near died and never knew it. It fell to the low 70's and that was with the oxygen set on 5 litres. Thankfully that's over and done with. I still don't have the machine that I should have had waiting for me when I got home.

I'll survive with unmitigated results, but it would be so much easier if people would only THINK before they open their mouths. But in today's society, I guess that's expecting too much.

Hope everyone has a wonderful hump day and I'll get through mine so don't worry (if anyone does anyway )
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Good Morning Todd. I am sorry that you are not feeling good. I sure wish I could help. I hope the move to the guest room helps. I too suffer from sleep apnea. I worry that you have not recieved your c-pap machine. That could help a lot in helping you to get some rest.
The day here in Florida promises to be warm at 93 being the high. I know that is not too bad considering that others are in triple digits. I hope this heat wave breaks soon for all of you. I hope you all have a great day. I plan to go beat the heat by the pool.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Last edited by Cruznut2; August 1st, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Todd and all other Mates!
Todd, glad you checked in, but sorry to hear you're still in so much pain and still waiting for the proper breathing apparatus. Hope you get some relief today...

Had a totally lazy day yesterday, we went to the beach 5 mins. from home and enjoyed a lovely afternoon relaxing by the sea - it was hot and even the waves were still!

Today, it's aquafitness, a French tour at the Hector for the Tim's Camp kids, a free afternoon, then an evening shift at the Hector, followed by dinner and trivia at the pub.
How do I get myself so busy?

donna
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Way too early in my opinion. Good morning from Philly!!!!

In the midst of crunch season at work. My inbox is backed up and everyone thinks they have the single most critical grant for me to award . I have to go full bore this crunch time because the last week of September is pack the house and move time. Wish I could teleport myself to the first week of October when we will be moved into the new house. My grandaughter Natalie vetoed our new location saying it "looked yucky." They are demolishing and hauling the old trailer on the lot and it is a mess. We drove down the street to the other new manufactured home that is almost like the one that will be placed on our lot and she decided it was acceptable .

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!! Take care Todd!

Magens Bay, St Thomas USVI

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:39 AM
Captain

Todd good to hear from you, just so sorry you are still not feeling the best. Hopefully the move to the guest room will help you sleep and if you could get the c-pap I'm sure that too would help. Don't you just hate all the hoops you have to jump through to get the medical equipment you need! By the way, the CM do worry about you and wish the best for you.
Our plans for today have changed. Papaw gave the girls the choice between doing the paddlewheel boat ride on the Ohio River or going to a small amusement park in Huntington, WV. Guess which one they picked, Yep we are going to the amusement park. Weds. are senior special day so since we qualify it is a good day to go. Of course what we save on admission will undoubtly be spent on the girls at some point..Papaw is a push over!
RD, I had to take a nap after reading all you have on you agenda today! You are superwoman.
Doug, that moving stuff is rough but getting into a new home is priceless! Good luck.
Laura, have fun at the pool!

Everyone have a great day.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good mornng everyone from the great state of Texas, where it is hot!!

I spent most of yesterday trying to get my house back in order. I still have things to do, but it looks better than it did.

We found out yesterday that our trip for Sunday had been cancelled. We were not surprised, but disappointed. We realized that once the US decided they didn't need a military, things would slow down, and in some cases, come to a stop. We heard yesterday that more than 250,000 soldiers would be laid off after the first of the year. Unreal!!!

Well, I guess I had been get my day started.

I hope that all of you have a good one.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Going to be a nice day here,and Todd, I hope you have a better day.

A giant, and I mean a giant tent, has been delivered to my backyard, waiting to be erected, for my Granddaughter's belated graduation party. She didn't want to have it till her Papa got out of the hospital,and things got back to normal for him. I can't wait to see how this thing is put together!

I am off to look at wallpaper for one wall in my bedroom,and my sil will finish painting a wall today, while I am gone. Things are movin along.

Make it a good one....still wish I was with MIke, & Betty, seeing the world!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good morning from a very foggy NWGA. Should be another hot afternoon.

All of you are very busy people while I am just being a lazy bum. I do enjoy it though.

Will be heading out on Friday for our annual tubing trip. There are 19 of us renting a house for the weekend. We will have our usual great time.

Todd, I hope the lower bed will help and they get their act together and get you a c-pap.

Have a great day all.

Brenda
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
We found out yesterday that our trip for Sunday had been cancelled. We were not surprised, but disappointed. We realized that once the US decided they didn't need a military, things would slow down, and in some cases, come to a stop. We heard yesterday that more than 250,000 soldiers would be laid off after the first of the year. Unreal!!!
Luann, it is not that the US has decided that it doesn't need a military. With Iraq over and Afganistan winding down we do not need as much military. This is nothing new, there has been drawdowns after every war after it concluded. Not a reason for biterness just a reality, however unpleasant, for the troops who will not be allowed to continue thier military career.

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Doug,

When the EPA is gutted, we will talk. I am here, I know what is going on.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good morning folks

Happy Wednesday

Happy Hump Day.

Todd Glad that you are doing better. I also have sleep apena and you need that C-pap machine NOW..
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Doug,

When the EPA is gutted, we will talk. I am here, I know what is going on.
Extremely rude and unecessary Luann! I was there for 21 years and have been through such a draw down. Just giving you the historical reality, you can accept it or not. You do not need to snap my head off. You used to be a nice person.

Old August 1st, 2012, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Good morning from Virginia Beach. I have not been on cruisemates for awhile since I was away, for a little more than a week in Palm Springs, California. My body is still getting used to the three hour time differential. I must admit we had a great time with our older daughter's in-laws. This time we visited San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, San Clemente, Salton Sea, Temecula;(where we went to Old Town Temecula and tried several different wines at a local winery), and of course hit the outlets in Morongo.
Todd, thoughts and prayers go out to you; my husband, Rob, also suffers from sleep apnea and must sleep with a C-pap machine. Just keep "positive thoughts" and I know that you will get better. Hope that all of my fellow cruisemates have a wonderful day!
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from Sunny Florida.

I spend most of my mornings outdoors and always find something to keep me busy.

Have a nice day folks.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Default C-Pap machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by balabusta View Post
Good morning from Virginia Beach. I have not been on cruisemates for awhile since I was away, for a little more than a week in Palm Springs, California. My body is still getting used to the three hour time differential. I must admit we had a great time with our older daughter's in-laws. This time we visited San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, San Clemente, Salton Sea, Temecula;(where we went to Old Town Temecula and tried several different wines at a local winery), and of course hit the outlets in Morongo.
Todd, thoughts and prayers go out to you; my husband, Rob, also suffers from sleep apnea and must sleep with a C-pap machine. Just keep "positive thoughts" and I know that you will get better. Hope that all of my fellow cruisemates have a wonderful day!
My suggestion is to thoroughly research the pros and cons of using a c-pap machine before spending money to buy one .
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Great point Laker's Fan. In part, My decision was actually made for me. When I started falling asleep at the wheel at 70 MPH 45 minutes after arising from what I figured was a good night's sleep, I thought it made sense to investigate the possibility.

Since it seems everyone but his brother's uncle are pushing the things something has to be up as I'm sure it is.

Nonetheless, when my cardiologist explained to me what was occurring to me personally and why and went into detail, well............that kinda' made my decision at least awfully easy.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:12 AM
First Mate

Todd: I really feel for you. I too know what it is like not to get medical supplied as you need. You situation is MUCH worse than mine though..Nurses are coming to me 3 times a week to change out my wound vac pump and they expected me to have all the supplies! ha ha This hand does not know what the other is doing and I get a different nurse each time. Never mind how painful it is every time they change out the pump. I too avoid my pain meds for the same reasons as you..side effects. They make me soo soo dizzy that I can hardly stand up without falling. One more month of this wound vac and I'll be rid of it.

The possible reality of not making the Hawaii trip is hitting me so I'm kind of depressed today. Medical issues may very well make it impossible for me to go. If another surgery is required (like I think it will be) - Hawaii is out. However, there is still hope for my December CRUISE!!

Hope you get that CPAP soon Todd!!! Everyone else, hope you had a terrific Wednesday!!

snorklr45

CarnivalTriumph
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:31 AM
Admiral

I meant to add something many don't understand. Originally, I thought you just went out if you wanted and bought the machine. Matter of fact, I know somone who did exactly that on line.

Bad Move!

One actually needs not one but two sleep tests. The first one determines if you have a problem in the first place. If it's established that you do, you then need a second sleep test to determine what type of machine you need and at what the machine should be set.

I should think the best professional to get very basic advice as to how to proceed would be a licensed Respiratory Therapist. There is a damned good reason why they're licensed and it's not an easy course to successfully complete.

Case in point is I don't need a C-Pap, I need something very similar called a BiPap. One has something to do with Carbon Dioxide and the other doesn't.

While you can find these things on the internet, please don't ever go out and buy one and expect just to put it on and use it. I know someone who did exactly that and just, in effect, flushed his money down the toilet. Not only would it probably do no good, it could do you inestimable harm.

I would also strongly suggest since there are so many "Sleep Centers" (some of which can only be described in my HMO as rip-off organizations even though they may employ physicians(just look at the Yellow pages or check the internet), I would, again, get hold of a good Respiratory Therapist and seek their advice as to where to go and whom to see. I literally saw an Ad that said if you submitted your name you were giving them permission to contact you. Another wanted you to inform them of what insurance you carried! Now that's really professional, now isn't it? When is the last time you ever saw that in an ad from a true medical center that incorporated all of the above? Now what would you expect to hear if the outfit you contacted readily accepted your insurance, especially if it were with an outfit of which many hadn't heard? Think they might say, "Oh, you just have to have one of these machines right away?"

Actually, your own trusted family physician should be able to also provide you with this informaton!Thankfully mine did and to show you how important such a device can be, it can literally save your life.

Just some suggestions you may wish to consider.

Last edited by ToddDH; August 2nd, 2012 at 02:41 AM.