Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Default Honesty in Interviews

We're all accustomed to the idiotic post-game interviews in every sport on TV. "Say, Rock, how'd it feel to score the winning touchdown?"

The Olympics are no exception. Here's the one I wrote down: "What does winning this gold medal in this pool mean to you and your family?"

Here's the answer I'd love to hear:

"Well Kristin, it means money. That's pretty much it. You see, for three years and eleven months out of every four years, nobody in the US or most of the rest of the world gives a rat's behind about competitive swimming, but for these couple weeks they pretend that they care. So my job is to win medals and score some endorsements before everybody forgets about me next week. If I can get on a Wheaties box or get Nike or Speedo or somebody like that to let me shill for them, it's basically the only way I can cash in. You can go the motivational speaker route, but unless you've got a trunk full of medals, there's not a lot of dough in that. My parents are underwater (sorry) in their mortgage, and they've spent most of their life savings supporting my swimming habit. If I'm going to bail them out I'll probably need more than just this one medal. But it's a start. So if you'll excuse me I've got to get ready for the next race. Maybe if I keep winning I can parlay this first medal into some serious folding money.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am speechless. I hope that is not the case, or what I thought was determination to do the best they could do, was a lie.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Captain

If "trying your best" was good enough for us, there wouldnt be much hand-wringing about how China is beating us in the medal count, with their trained-from-birth robot athletes. Say it aint so, Dorothy, but its about the cash.
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Admiral

AR, some people just enjoy their sports.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Just for clarification in case anybody needs it:

The question is real. I did write it down. I made up the answer (notice I said it's the answer I'd love to hear) based on what I believe is the bottom-line motivation for some of these kids.
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Admiral

The question is a good one, but the answer is not one that I would expect.

These kids work very hard, many times living away from family and friends, with little or no money.

Do you think that Mr. Morrow is dizzy, from spinning in his grave, over what has happened to the news media that he loved so well?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Actually, I don't watch the Olympics because, as I've said before, I'm not into Track and Field.

Nevertheles, both AR and Luanne are more correct, at least in one of the few interviews to which I personally listened, than they ever imagined. The contestant said basically that they were in the sport because (a) they loved it and wanted desperately to win an Olympic Medal and (b) the guy only wanted to pay back the horrendous training bills he had run up over the past three years.

I know the above is true because I listened to the interview.

So, according to the contestant himself, both statements must be valid.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Yes, I think of Ed Murrow often. I think he'd have very mixed feelings about TV news today. First of all, he'd marvel at the technical capabilities that were nothing more than a pipe dream when he died. But he'd also cringe at the lack of rigor that goes into reporting most TV news, especially on cable.

Mind you, Mr. Murrow was not always "unbiased." Far from it. He was a liberal, and he tried with varying success to not let it show through on the air. But he always did say that sometimes a story does NOT have two legitimate sides and that fairness does not require credible reporting of a ludicrous position. From that we got such landmark broadcasts as Argument in Indianapolis, the Case of Milo Radulovich, and Harvest of Shame. Plus, of course, the McCarthy broadcast. Anyone who has not seen these transcendant programs should immediately check them out of the library, and marvel at what was possible when a fair-minded reporter of integrity and intelligence was given leave to pursue his craft.
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
AR, some people just enjoy their sports.
I agree, maybe for some it’s the money but for many it’s just making it to the Olympics and possibly winning a medal. I doubt very much at the age of 8 Phelps was in it for the money.
Gee talk about jaded!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Admiral

I've interviewed sports personalities for a local newspaper many years ago . I can only recall 2 people giving "honest" interviews .
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Admiral

How the heck can you be so sure if it was honest or not? Because it's what you want to believe? We must have some mind reader here so I better leave this thread before I get booted off!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Actually, I don't watch the Olympics because, as I've said before, I'm not into Track and Field.

I respect your opinion, but there is a lot more to the Olympics than track and field.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Default Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
How the heck can you be so sure if it was honest or not? Because it's what you want to believe? We must have some mind reader here so I better leave this thread before I get booted off!

I interviewed a baseball player who had no chance to get into the HOF but played into his 40's .He said it was solely for the money .
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
You are too nice to get booted off.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Captain

Mind readers or not, I have yet to see a successful athlete not get a publicist, an agent, a lawyer and a hot girlfriend... and go hide in the mountains rather than "cashing in". Glory is nice, but it sure fades fast. The first question after the medals stop glowing is always "SHOW ME THE MONEY!???"...
Even cute little Nadia Comenici came to America to get rich, not speaking a word of English. Isnt that kind of being a "sports traitor" to Romania?
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Why in the world would someone who had worked very hard, all of their lives, not want to gain fame, and money.

Until the last couple of years, this was not a bad thing, but a good one.

I am not sure we are on topic. It sounds like to me that AR is asking why the stories coming from the games are not juicy enough.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 9th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Captain

quote "I am speechless. I hope that is not the case, or what I thought was determination to do the best they could do, was a lie."

quote"Why in the world would someone who had worked very hard, all of their lives, not want to gain fame, and money."

Which one is it then?
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
It sounds like to me that AR is asking why the stories coming from the games are not juicy enough.
In a way, but mostly it's how people tend to respond to stupid questions with even more inane answers. There's something about telling the "truth"--along the lines of the bogus answer I made up--that is so refreshing in the rare instances that we see it. Not necessarily "juicy" in the tabloid sense, just disarmingly honest.

I'm actually enjoying all the responses. This is one of those strings that can go off on tangents in entertaining ways.
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Ship,

Both quotes go together. They work hard, and then are able to reap the rewards.

As far as being speechless. I am southern, so no one here stays speechless long.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Captain

Dont athletes of all stripes go to inane answer school somewhere?

"So, Jerry, your team came from behind to win the game.... how did you accomplish this amazing feat?"

"Well, Tom, it was a team effort, everybody just gave 110 percent, and at the end of it all, we had more points than the other team."
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Captain

Actually, there is honesty. And they will pay the price:

The Canadian womens soccer team in the Olympic semi-finals, leading by a goal against the heavily-favored USA team with little time remaining, is called for a hand ball in the defensive end. (Replay showed the ball never came within a yard of the player in question, never mind her hand) The USA scored to tie on the automatic penalty kick, and went on to win in extra time.

The Canadians were robbed, and said so loudly.
FIFA is considering suspensions in light of the comments made regarding the poor officiating.
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
As far as being speechless. I am southern, so no one here stays speechless long.
Luanne I love people who are talkers. And you certainly have a beautiful voice and a beautiful accent.

As far as athletes, let them get rich.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 11th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Admiral

This goes back to one of AR's comments and it's true across the board.

Last week, the Republican Presidential Nominee was literally excoriated by the main stream media as regarded his concern about safety at the Olympics.

What no one bothered to listen to was that the night or two before, every single major network commentator complained that they had the same thoughts. Matter of fact, Brian Williams launched, while not into a tirade, a big long speech about the subject and how Olympic athletes might be subjected to terroristic attacks because it appeared the British were unprepared.

Murrow was a Liberal, I knew that when i was a young man. But he presented the news in what I thought was an unbiased manner and that I why I so admired the man.

Sadly, that's the world in which we now live.

BTW Manuel, I absoluely love the Winter Olympics. It's just that the Summer Oympics, which basically if not completely of course, are based upon track and field events and sorry, I just don't happen to like Track and Field. I love NASCAR. I also fully understand millions don't. BTW, I enjoy the water events (swimming and diving).

Double standards to the "nth" degree exist, have always existed and will continue to exist until the American public finds the time to find out just what is and what isn't true.

It's sad that even our news, on oth sides of the fences, has become so politicized. No, belay that. It's not sad, it's a travesty!

Last edited by ToddDH; August 11th, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old August 11th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Luanne I love people who are talkers. And you certainly have a beautiful voice and a beautiful accent.

As far as athletes, let them get rich.

TM
Thank you Manuel.. I enjoyed our conversation as well.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 11th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Todd--

The Republican nominee was excoriated for sticking his foot in a bucket of doo-doo completely unnecessarily. He was being tested as a diplomat, not as a newsman. They are very different jobs.

When he was asked, the correct answer would have been, "London is a great city with great people and I'm sure the games will be a proud moment for them." Then shut the hell up. It was a softball question and should have been treated as such.

He richly deserved the garbage that was poured on him for what he said, just as he deserved criticism for his aide's wonderful admonition to the press in Poland, just as he deserved criticism for saying that the problem with Palestine is that their culture is deficient, and just as his aide deserved criticism at the end of the primaries for the "etch-a-sketch" moment. And we won't even talk about the silly woman who said that if the lady who died of cancer had lived in Massachusetts she'd have been insured. Well, yes, we will talk about her. Because she's a fool too.

He is not a well-spoken man, and he does not have well-spoken people around him.

Last edited by AR; August 11th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old August 11th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Admiral

I waited a minute before I responded, because I thought I would see the logo for MSNBC.

Just like them, you told half the truth, or you didn't explain, so that MR. Rommney would look good.

I am like Aerogirl. I am out of here!!!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 11th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Admiral

AR,

Did you agturally miss he point that while yes, she didn' have insurance for her canceer, that her husband did?

It's amazingl what garbage we'll swalllow, bogth sides too, when someghing is siad with whidh we aggree (or disagree)?

I can quote you countless Presidents from FDR to Eisenhower who often agreed with the press. But of course that's now verboten.

Well, at least the Republican Presidential Candidate has yet to bow to the the King of Saudi Afrabia. Maybe if he bdcomds Presiden, but somehow, I doub it.
Old August 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Okay - I'll admit to skipping a few responses but here I go ..

AR - I think there is a ring of truth to your fictional response. Most of these athletes spend way more than they earning completing in their respective sports. Yes, they are doing it for the love of the sport, but it sure would be nice if they could earn some money so their parents didn't have to take out a third mortgage. Even the incredibly successful US soccer team saw their professional league collapse this year and WNBA players make less than $100K/year (much more if they play in Europe.)

When Olympic athletes could not directly earn money there were a lot of high school and college students competing and a few post-college athletes who had very understanding employers (or were just flat out rich.) And then their were the countries with athletes "in the army". But that all changed in the 70s.

Let me get off my soapbox before I go on.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
AR,

Did you agturally miss he point that while yes, she didn' have insurance for her canceer, that her husband did?
Nope, I didn't miss that point for an instant. I got it right away. Her stupidity stems from the fact that she brought up Massachusetts at all. Romney is trying to separate what he did in Massachusetts from what Obama did with the Affordable Care Act, and he's not having a lot of luck doing that (for good reason). To point out that the Massachusetts law is succeeding is a patently foolish thing for the Romney camp to do under the circumstances.

Ironically, if she had just made the point you did, Todd, instead of talking about Romneycare, she'd have been OK.
Old August 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
Dont athletes of all stripes go to inane answer school somewhere?

"So, Jerry, your team came from behind to win the game.... how did you accomplish this amazing feat?"

"Well, Tom, it was a team effort, everybody just gave 110 percent, and at the end of it all, we had more points than the other team."
That is because they get the same inane questions over and over again - hence the inane answer. It makes you wonder if the reporters watch the games.

Way back in the day Bobby Knight was asked how he was going to get the team ready for an NCAA tournament game in Idaho. Rather than give the typical sports drivel, he said he would have the team stand in the middle of the river. He certainly wasn't going to give the keys to his preparation to his opponent's just to fill some reporter's notebook or 6 o'clock sound bite.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014