Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Computer question

Ok, so one of my talents is not with computers, so I'm asking all you smarty pants..!

With my new netbook, I don't seem to have, what I'll call auto entry,as I enter an address, that I have entered many times before, as I did on my old one, it doesn't recognive it,and fill it in.

Maybe this is not an option on this Acer Aspire? Is there a program I can download?

Ohhhhh, Mikeeee

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Hi, Trip.

Saving addresses is a function of your browser, not the particular computer you're using. If you're still using Internet Explorer, for instance, after you've entered the address once it should "pop up" any later time you enter the first letter or two. It can't remember something you haven't entered on that computer before, of course. If you have entered it once, though, and your browser is not remembering it, someone may have set up your machine so that it automatically wipes browser history whenever it shuts down. Find and click on the "tools" icon and check the browser history section to see what it shows.
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Sister Solo, Thanks for responding....see my post shows hpw little I know about AOL, ecxept that I don't like it so much, anymore Does this refere to my email and passwords that auto popped up as well?

I will do as you said, hopefully, I will be popping up all over the web, with just a couple of keystrokes

Old August 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Sorry, can't help you with yur computer question Trip, but I have one of my own...
I have been locked out of hotmail...it says "someone may be using your account" which I take it means I've been hacked.
Microsoft asks a whole bunch of personal questions to guarantee you are the owner of the account, but at the end they want to know who you sent the last e-mails to, and the # of your X-box LIve account. I don't remember who I sent e-mails to and can't recover their addresses, nor do I have an X-box Live account, so it won't process any further.
Any suggestions?

donna

Old August 13th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Admiral

I received an email from you within the past 2 days if that helps..

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If you are using Internet Explorer then click on "Tools" > "Internet Options". Then click the "Content" tab and then click "Settings". Under "AutoComplete" check the options you want and then click "Apply".

I believe AOL uses a bastardized version of IE so it may be similar. If it isn't then this information is useless. I haven't even looked at AOL in years.

BTW: I STRONGLY discourage you from saving passwords on your browser/computer. It's just an invitation for hackers or someone stealing your PC to get access to all of your accounts.

It's better to use one "REALLY GOOD" password for all your accounts. By really good, I mean something like, TrIP769432CrUZ.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Admiral

RD I'm not totally familiar with hot mail or your ISP situation but most web based email sites should give you the option to get an email sent to your real email account ( the one you used when first registering on hotmail ) to reset your password???

LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
Sorry, can't help you with yur computer question Trip, but I have one of my own...
I have been locked out of hotmail...it says "someone may be using your account" which I take it means I've been hacked.
Microsoft asks a whole bunch of personal questions to guarantee you are the owner of the account, but at the end they want to know who you sent the last e-mails to, and the # of your X-box LIve account. I don't remember who I sent e-mails to and can't recover their addresses, nor do I have an X-box Live account, so it won't process any further.
Any suggestions?

donna

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Ok, so one of my talents is not with computers, so I'm asking all you smarty pants..!

With my new netbook, I don't seem to have, what I'll call auto entry,as I enter an address, that I have entered many times before, as I did on my old one, it doesn't recognive it,and fill it in.

Maybe this is not an option on this Acer Aspire? Is there a program I can download?

Ohhhhh, Mikeeee
Trip,

You may want to check that you have auto complete enabled. To do this click on the "gear" icon at the top right of you browser screen. Choose "Internet Options" and then choose the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down and make sure the box next to "Use Inline Autocomplete in the Internet Explorer Address Bar and Open Dialog." If the box is not checked, check it.

Hope that helps.
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
Any suggestions?

donna

Donna,

Microsoft has just transformed Hotmail into Outlook.com. This is likely causing your problem. It is needing your Windows Live account password to migrate your information.

Here is the MS site about Outlook.com. If you click on the "help" menu item it will take you to a page that might solve your problem. Good luck.

Meet Outlook.com Preview
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Familiar Face

Hello friends i have a question in my mind about computer i just want to ask you that i have been recently purchased a computer of new model and have all the latest features but i want to change the Processor of this computer would you tell me how i can change it...??
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post
Hello friends i have a question in my mind about computer i just want to ask you that i have been recently purchased a computer of new model and have all the latest features but i want to change the Processor of this computer would you tell me how i can change it...??
First I would ask WHY you want to change it?

If you must, you need to determine what processors your motherboard is compatible with. Determine what processor you want, and then take the old processor out and put the new one in.

There can be some issues with the heat sinks on the processors. Some use a thermal glue to hold the heat sink on and you would have to replace that.
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Sorry for my delay in responding to this post..Bruce has told me that the operating system for this netbook is not Expedia, which is what I had before. I have to wait till a certain new program comes up,[something 8] to update this system.

I have to tell you, I am bloody lazy..I hate that I have to always type in, what used to come up automatically.

Old September 8th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post
Sorry, but what you want to do is unlikely.

1) If it's a desktop, this is possible. If it's a laptop or a netbook, you'd have to have a very complete set of tools to get the thing open and get access to the CPU. Not something I'd recommend or even do myself, and computer operations is what I do for a living.

2) The CPU slot is tied to the type of CPU you are using. For example, and Intel CPU will not work in the slot for an AMD CPU. Likewise a Pentium IV CPU won't go in the slot for a Pentium III. There are upgrades which can be done, but they amount to upgrading to a slightly newer and faster version of the CPU you have now, which means no new features.

3) Even if you could do it, getting things back together is a problem. Are you aware that a special paste is required to make a good thermal connection between the CPU and it's heat sink? If you don't get a good connection, the CPU overheats, dies, and you have a nice plastic paperweight instead of a computer.

I strongly recommend you consider selling your old machine and buying a new one before attempting such an upgrade.

Last edited by BionicToad; September 8th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Sorry for my delay in responding to this post..Bruce has told me that the operating system for this netbook is not Expedia, which is what I had before. I have to wait till a certain new program comes up,[something 8] to update this system.

I have to tell you, I am bloody lazy..I hate that I have to always type in, what used to come up automatically.
Expedia is a Search Engine, not an Operating System. There are over 130 search engines, the most popular being Google. Others include Bing and Yahoo.

Windows 7 is an Operating System. Other operating systems include Linux and OS X, which runs on Apple Macs.

Internet Explorer 8 is a Web Browser, which is neither a Search Engine nor an Operating System, but is probably what you are waiting on. Other Web Browsers include Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Netscape, and Opera.

It's hard to help because I don't know which variant of the above you are using, but ...

Look at the upper right of your browser screen. You should see a box with a magnifying glass, a word or two, perhaps Bing, and a down arrow. Click on the down arrow and you should get a box, "Manage Add-ons." If you get this far, you should see a line at the bottom, "Find more search providers ..." Click on this line. A window will open. In the upper right hand corner will be another box. Type Expedia in this box, and hit the return key. This will allow you to change you default search engine to Expedia.

I'll do my best with any other questions, but the more information you can supply, the better I can help.
Old September 8th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:

Trip:

You've spent too much time looking at travel sites.

I think you mean Internet Explorer is not the web browser. Bionic has it correct.

I don't think you need to wait for Windows 8 to come out to upgrade your browser. You can run any current browser on Windows 7.

My advice, as always. Dump AOL

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 8th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
My advice, as always. Dump AOL
That's damn good advice.

I think Trip had Expedia as his home page as well as his search engine and I think he's confused about the proposed upgrade to IE8 resolving his problem. Upgrading your browser is normally a good thing, but side effects can include loss of the current way of doing things, which includes automagically filling in what you are typing.
Old September 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Admiral

You can see I know from nothing, but somehow manage get to where I need to go, for the most part..I am going to show hubby, what you guys have told me,and then have a cuppa tea. As always thanks Cruisemates.