Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Familiar Face

Yes i think you should need to purchase a gun for your safety because this weapon is very best and
better security for you and protect your family from the thefts i think you should need to buy
a gun...
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post
Yes i think you should need to purchase a gun for your safety because this weapon is very best and
better security for you and protect your family from the thefts i think you should need to buy
a gun...
Don't forget to buy plenty of amunition as well.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Admiral

I confess to having owned water guns in my youth .
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM
First Mate

Kuki.......no worries......from one Canadian to another

Happy Cruising to us ALL!!

Gail

Old August 29th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Captain

Remember that the police don't protect people......Police investigate the crime after the crime has been committed and try to hunt down the person who committed the crime.

You and you only are responsible for your own protection. If it takes me shooting someone to protect a loved one or myself then so be it. As the old saying goes...I would rather explain it to 12 then be carried by 6.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:02 PM
First Mate

Several decades ago I concluded that I cold continue to live in fear in the USA, risk my life daily, and be forced to buy a gun to protect myself - OR I could move to a safer country where people do not have to live like that.

I moved - and have never regretted it.
Old August 31st, 2012, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Default Safe in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Several decades ago I concluded that I cold continue to live in fear in the USA, risk my life daily, and be forced to buy a gun to protect myself - OR I could move to a safer country where people do not have to live like that.

I moved - and have never regretted it.

I moved 10 years ago from NYC after being mugged at gun point and knife 4 times in less than 6 months . I relocated to a small town in NY ,population 25,000 .
In the 10 years there have been 0 murders ,0 rapes ,0 crimes of violence .The only crimes here are DUI's and an occasional report of shoplifting .
Old September 1st, 2012, 02:17 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post
a gun...
Share and Get Ideas.....

Last edited by Trip; September 5th, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
I moved 10 years ago from NYC after being mugged at gun point and knife 4 times in less than 6 months . I relocated to a small town in NY ,population 25,000 .
In the 10 years there have been 0 murders ,0 rapes ,0 crimes of violence .The only crimes here are DUI's and an occasional report of shoplifting .
OMG. I would think that you are a very lucky person to have escaped with your life. You are a living example of why living in a big city can be scary. This morning I was standing at a bus stop by myself. Across the street is a black male who yells
over, "Do you have a light." "I responded, "No. I don't smoke." Later on thinking about this experience I remember a similar one in New York over twenty years ago. I was walking with my wife in the Village and a black man asked me if I had a light and I responded in the negative. We walked on and my wife asked me if i hadn't heard about this group, members of which would ask a white male for a match and if the individual said no the black male would kill the white male. I have been on the streets of New York and in some
areas I feel safe, but I rather would stay out of the City or get in and out as quickly as possible like when I am boarding a ship.

Some people might argue that you ran away from the problem by moving, but I disagree. Your life is too important to have it sacrificed on the altar of good intentions.
Old September 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Aside from what I posted above one day I was walking on E.35 St.between Fifth and Madison Avenues . A guy approached and asked if I had the time .As I looked at my watch he beckoned me closer to where he was standing .He had a gun in his hand . He asked me for money and after I gave it to him he put the gun at my fiorehead and pulled the trigger .The gun jammed and he ran off .I immediately ran in the opposite direction looking for a police officer .When I found one he told me that I was very lucky because apparently the guy killed someone earlier that day .

Around the same time I was working on a Saturday .A co-worker asked if I would ride with her on the train going home because she feared for her safety .Normally I took a bus to and from work but I decided to travel with her .
We boarded the train about 5PM .When we were close to her stop we were the only people in the subway car .A guy came in from the next car with a gun and after taking our money pulled the trigger .Once again the gun jammed .

Did I want to buy a gun for self defence ? No ,I wanted to move out of the city as soon as possible .
Old September 1st, 2012, 04:37 PM
Admiral

I guess that I'm very lucky. I have been in a few large cities and I have never been robbed or atacked. I have been in New York, La., Chicago, SeatleLas vegas, San Diego, Miami, San Juan, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Zurich, Tokyo, Manilla and a few others.
I hope that my luck does not run out, but so far the only place that I was faced with violence was in Vietnam. A gun did come in handy in those days.

Now ( refering to an above post ), if a black man asks you for a light treat the same way youd treat anybody else. Just because a person is from a different ethnic background does mean that he or she is violent.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old September 1st, 2012, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Default Black is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I guess that I'm very lucky. I have been in a few large cities and I have never been robbed or atacked. I have been in New York, La., Chicago, SeatleLas vegas, San Diego, Miami, San Juan, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Zurich, Tokyo, Manilla and a few others.
I hope that my luck does not run out, but so far the only place that I was faced with violence was in Vietnam. A gun did come in handy in those days.

Now ( refering to an above post ), if a black man asks you for a light treat the same way youd treat anybody else. Just because a person is from a different ethnic background does mean that he or she is violent.

TM
If Obama was a white man he would not receive all the hate that he is subjected to .
Racism is not dead in the USA.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
If Obama was a white man he would not receive all the hate that he is subjected to .
Racism is not dead in the USA.
That is very true. I find that many people are closet racists. They go around saying that they are not, but in reality actions speak louder than words.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
That is very true. I find that many people are closet racists. They go around saying that they are not, but in reality actions speak louder than words.

TM
A bit off topic but yes this world will never be free from Hate, Racism, Fear, War etc etc. Bit of a shame really?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Default So very true

Quote:

TM

Several years ago I was at a party .Among the guests were a congressman ,3 councilmen ,a judge and an elected official from NYC .Not the Mayor or Deputy Mayor but very close .
A conversation among them began about blacks but they used the N word
and said that they could not trust them because they hated jews .
I found that disgusting.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Vietnam gun experience question?

Quote:

TM
Recently, in the VFW September 12,2012 issue their is an article about the controversy over the M-16 used in Vietnam and I think this was the rifle that did not have a chromed receiver because McNamara's cost cutters said it wasn't needed. What's your comment on this subject.

secondly, it seems that the grandfather of the m-16 is being used in Afghanistan and it seems to have two problems. Jams similar to situation encountered in Vietnam and light bullets. It seems that the AK-47s pack a bigger punch becuase they use a heavier bullet. Since you probably encountered these weapons in Vietnam what do you think?

Couldn't find any other experts to ask so I figured I would ask you.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Recently, in the VFW September 12,2012 issue their is an article about the controversy over the M-16 used in Vietnam and I think this was the rifle that did not have a chromed receiver because McNamara's cost cutters said it wasn't needed. What's your comment on this subject.

secondly, it seems that the grandfather of the m-16 is being used in Afghanistan and it seems to have two problems. Jams similar to situation encountered in Vietnam and light bullets. It seems that the AK-47s pack a bigger punch becuase they use a heavier bullet. Since you probably encountered these weapons in Vietnam what do you think?

Couldn't find any other experts to ask so I figured I would ask you.
Before my unit went Vietnam, we test fired some M-16's. We did care for them at all and we were allowed to take m-14's instead. The M-14 did not jam like the m-16, so we were more comfortable with that.
The AK-47 is the best rifle out there. It carries more a punch and is allways ready to fire even if it gets dirty.
My weapon of choice was the m-60 machine gun. You could do some serious damage with that.

I think that the M-16 was a political choice and not a military one. With all the high tech we have in this country, our armed forces should have the best weapons in the world.

Of course I am no expert. I am just a guy who was over there and saw a lot of dead bodies.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Thanks for on site repot

Quote:
Before my unit went Vietnam, we test fired some M-16's. We did care for them at all and we were allowed to take m-14's instead. The M-14 did not jam like the m-16, so we were more comfortable with that.
The AK-47 is the best rifle out there. It carries more a punch and is allways ready to fire even if it gets dirty.
My weapon of choice was the m-60 machine gun. You could do some serious damage with that.

I think that the M-16 was a political choice and not a military one. With all the high tech we have in this country, our armed forces should have the best weapons in the world.

Of course I am no expert. I am just a guy who was over there and saw a lot of dead bodies.

TM
at

Thanks for the report. I have been reading these reports on these weapons and I have a tough time reconciling things like sending US soldiers into combat
with weapons that stop firing because of political decisions. I feel for the people who have lost their family members or friends in wars.