Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Familiar Face

Default Should I buy a gun?

My question is should I buy a gun? I would like the advice of cruisemates.
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Admiral

The answer is: It depends on what you need it for.

If you're more specific, you definitely will get a more informative answer.

Old August 17th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You might try posting this question on the many gun forums around the web.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 17th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Anyone know a gun forum where I can ask about dresscodes....
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I just wanted to welcome you to Cruisemates. The welcome is usually a bit warmer. Sorry......
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Thumbs down

Why ask about buying a gun on a cruise forum

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:47 PM
First Mate

If it is to protect your home and family or for hunting..I say yes. Particularly now that there is talk of trying to take away our right to bear arms. Of course I'm a Texan so you know everyone here (just about) owns a gun.

CarnivalTriumph
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
Well, if you do, please post your upcoming cruises.

O F C'er
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Particularly now that there is talk of trying to take away our right to bear arms
I follow a LOT of news. And there's been no talk at all about taking away your right to bear arms. Some talk about limiting access to magazines that hold 100 bullets, but for sure that's not going to go anywhere either.

As far as Iconic....definately get a gun! Just don't get any bullets

Did you see the story this week about the guy who had his gun in the movie theater with him.... fell on the floor, discharged and shot himself.

Guess when he took his lessons on how to handle a weapon, he snoozed during the portion on how to put on a safety.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 18th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Admiral

In NZ the cops don't have guns on them all the time and there is no right to bear arms.
There is gun crime here but they are few and far apart. The guns that are used are "Stolen" and usually from people who hold gun licences who fail to keep them secure.
Owning a gun quite frankly horrifies me because it only takes one tiny mistake (as Kuki pointed out) for there to be a possible tragedy.

Don't buy a gun, move to NZ where there are also no droughts? ;-)

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
If it is to protect your home and family or for hunting..I say yes. Particularly now that there is talk of trying to take away our right to bear arms. Of course I'm a Texan so you know everyone here (just about) owns a gun.
I keep hearing from conservatives that SOMEBODY wants to take away their guns.

I keep wondering who that SOMEBODY is? It is certainly not the current Democratic leadership, or the vast majority of liberals. In fact, since this is a constitutional right, it would be VERY hard to "take away" the right to bear arms.

However, if you are talking about the desire to enact laws that prevent crazy people or criminal for obtaining assault weapons - SPOT ON - I, and every other rational thinking person I know are for that type of legislation.
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Admiral

[QUOTE=Marsdude;1442555]I keep hearing from conservatives that SOMEBODY wants to take away their guns.

I keep wondering who that SOMEBODY is? It is certainly not the current Democratic leadership, or the vast majority of liberals. In fact, since this is a constitutional right, it would be VERY hard to "take away" the right to bear arms.

QUOTE]

Those are myths spread by gun dealers to scare people to buy more guns.
There are so many guns in the US so it would never be possible to take away people weapons.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
I keep hearing from conservatives that SOMEBODY wants to take away their guns.

I keep wondering who that SOMEBODY is? It is certainly not the current Democratic leadership, or the vast majority of liberals. In fact, since this is a constitutional right, it would be VERY hard to "take away" the right to bear arms..
Absolutely right. The instant anybody says anything about limiting such things as assault weapons (and we know that's what they are, even if it's not their formal designation) or large magazines, the gun lobby starts screaming about their rights. It's a straw man, plain and simple. Almost nobody wants to ban guns, or if they do, they know it's futile, and it's just one more of the many dangers we have to put up with. But the gun lobby and their acolytes spin any reasonable discussion into a Constitutional issue, stick beans in their ears, fold their arms, close their eyes, and shake their heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
However, if you are talking about the desire to enact laws that prevent crazy people or criminal for obtaining assault weapons - SPOT ON - I, and every other rational thinking person I know are for that type of legislation.
Especially when you consider that these days most guns used in crimes were legally purchased, at least initially. They may have been stolen from the legal owners (who are obviously irresponsible, careless people), or resold improperly, but all too often they are legally purchased by the crazy people who do the shooting.

So should you buy a gun? Probably not, unless you want to learn to kill animals or have an overwhelming desire to shoot at targets. In which case, please get trained properly.
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Buy a big dog!
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Admiral

As the constitution says, we americans have the "right to bear arms". However, is having a gun necessary for you and your family? Every family has a different situation. As for me, I would rather put in an alarm system or have a dog. We have grandchildren that come to our home and the youngest still "gets into everything and anything". If you decide to buy a gun, I would place it in a location where it is not near any children.
Old August 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Admiral

You never know when you might run into a pirate on a cruise.

Guns in America aren't disappearing no matter who is elected and is just alarmist propaganda.
Old August 18th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post

In that case, I will be taking a M-60 machine gun on my next cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 18th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Senator Yee from CA would like to take away your rights.

I can go on and on about who would like to take your rights. There are a group of senators that would like to re enact the assault weapons ban. Fienstien, Boxer are right at the top of that list.

I am a firearms dealer. If you want you questions answered I'd be glad to take them offline.

Send me a PM.

Old August 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post

I can go on and on about who would like to take your rights. There are a group of senators that would like to re enact the assault weapons ban. Fienstien, Boxer are right at the top of that list.

I am a firearms dealer. If you want you questions answered I'd be glad to take them offline.

Send me a PM.
I think I would like an unbiased opinion. Sorry, someone who makes money selling guns would not be the person who I would go to for one.
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Default Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
I have 3 friends residing in Texas ,none of them has ever owned a gun .
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Default Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post

Send me a PM.

IMHO ,the only people that should be allowed to own guns are police and those in the military .

For those people that believe that 4 legged animals are on this earth to be killed for sport I assume you do not believe in god .
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

That statement quite stong, and, a major assumption on your part....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 18th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
IMHO ,the only people that should be allowed to own guns are police and those in the military .

For those people that believe that 4 legged animals are on this earth to be killed for sport I assume you do not believe in god .
So you know what else PITA stands for?
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

You spelled the word God with a little G. That tells me something.

I am not a hunter, nor have I ever, ever seen Bambie in the movies, because I have a tender heart.

There is an agreement around here, that hunters, who do not keep the meat, pay to have it processed, and it is then given to hundreds of people who other wise would not have meat on the table.

If the herd is not cut, they slowly starve to death, and I can't think of any other way to die, that is more horrible.

In my Bible it says that God gave life, and to maintain that life, he gave us food.

He also says, judge not that you be judged.

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Admiral

My Goodness……

This thread began with a vaguely worded question of whether the OP should or should not purchase a firearm.

And we’ve proceeded to discussions of Constitutional amendments, posturing about gun rights, fears that herds won’t be sufficiently thinned, and what constitutes food as God intended.

I don’t suppose that it occurred to anyone that the OP simply tossed a grenade to see whatever fireworks would ensue.

And while I enjoy fireworks as much as the next guy, I generally prefer them confined to the Fourth of July, not here on the Chit-Chat Board.

When the OP returns with a more specific question, in an effort to make a carefully-considered purchase decision, why don’t we provide him or her with the best advice that we can.

Until then, why don’t we save our grenade tossing for the Taliban? They deserve it far more than we do…..

Old August 19th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
Are you expecting pirates on your next cruise?
Old August 19th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Meaningless, pseudo-cute, frivolous comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Are you expecting pirates on your next cruise?

Guns in America aren't disappearing no matter who is elected and is just alarmist propaganda.

I feel that the restriction against inflammatory comments from the Cruisemate site should be expanded to meaningless, pseudo-cute, frivolous comments meant to demonstrate the wonderful sharp wit and perceptiveness of an individual when a serious question is under discussion. The solution for people of this ilk is to suggest to the moderator a cutoff of the thread or don't send a comment that has no reality in this world, read Big Macs input on this subject for clarification about the issue.
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Admiral

devilsadvocate--There has been nothing even mildly inflammatory on this string. Try to get over it.

Dean--It certainly occurred to me that the OP may just have been tossing a grenade for fun. My reaction: so what?

Luanne--Let's review the bidding here. When I posted an amusing piece about homophone use and misuse, some people accused me of high-handedness and much worse, and defended everybody's right to butcher the language in any way they wish, whether through carelessness or poor education or anything else. Seems to me you may have been among them. But now you jump all over somebody for failing to capitalize a word and imply that it means they're not religious. Seems inconsistent. Maybe it's just a typo. I could probably come up with a Biblical verse to support my position here (because you can always find one), but I'll pass this time.

You might be surprised to hear that I agree with you on the hunting issue. My views on the matter don't have anything to do with religion, really. It's just that I eat meat so I'd obviously be a hypocrite to condemn the killing of animals. Of course, it must be done responsibly as you say, in terms of eating what is killed. And of course responsible gun ownership and training must be part of that. And never forget the Golden Rule of hunting: don't go with Cheney. Not sure whether that's in the Bible, but it makes sense nonetheless.

Of course, I disagree with you thoroughly when you insist that those of use who are in favor of reasonable regulation of assault weapons and magazines are "trying to take away your guns." I know that's the Pavlovian reaction taught by the NRA, but it's simply not true.

Lakers Fan: It's amazing that you know all three people in Texas without guns. Do they have to pay higher insurance rates?
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Familiar Face

Default I have not made up my mind yet about buying a gun. Thanks for inputs.

Where I live there is an average of one killing a week in this city. We have gangbangers in this area walking around with hoodies and loose shirts concealing their pistols and other more lethal weapons. Police can't search them because it is racial profiling so they, the bad guys, continue to walk the streets. Thieves go into stores carrying a pistol and for a few dollars they are willing to take the life of a person. The presence of the weapon indicates what action they are willing to take to support their drug habit.

Rapists are on the prowl during the day and night doing their thing. Recently, a policeman stopped at my home which is rare. The reason he stopped was to hand me a copy of a flier which informed me that a sexual pervert was in residence in a private home about a hundred feet away. Under the Megan law the policeman was doing his duty by handing out the flier. Thank goodness he did otherwise I would have not known.

I also feel that self protection is needed in the home because the crime problem is beyond the control of the police. The police are limited in numbers and even if their numbers were increased they would be restricted by laws that protect the bad guy. I am concerned that I need to protect my family and since the government can't or won't do it, I have to take the duty to protect myself and my loved ones on myself. I also agree that anytime you have a gun in the house you have the possibliity of an accident. However, I will take the necessary steps to secure it so that the weapon is not available to children.

Beyond that one of the reasons I raised the question was that I understand the criminal can still sue me if he is alive and I have shot him. I hoped to have this kind of question answered in the blog. This is called an open-ended question not a hand grenade.

I do not intend to carry the weapon in public places unless the situation outside the home becomes life threatening which I think is a possibility if gas rationing is enacted due to escalating prices and increasing frequency of pump rage.

As I write this, I think about January 8, 2011, U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords and eighteen other people were shot. The representative had a Glock pistol at home the day she was shot. If she had that weapon with her she might not have been a victim. How would she be perceived today if she had her Glock with her that morning and she had shot the killer. Would she be a heroine protecting herself and others? Or would she be considered to be a vigilante dispensing vigilante . I wonder how she feels about this question with all the pain she has to be enduring. The pain from gunshot wounds does not stop with hospitalization and rehabilitation.

I have been told by intelligent people that when President Obama gets re-elected he will stack the Supreme Court and impose strict gun control throughout the USA. After what I see what he has done in his first term, I think strict gun control could happen in his second

Therefore, I raised the question, should I buy a gun while I still can buy a gun.

I have not made up my mind yet about buying a gun. Thanks for inputs.
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I have been told by intelligent people that when President Obama gets re-elected he will stack the Supreme Court and impose strict gun control throughout the USA.
You don't have to be stupid to pass on eroneous misinformation

You just have to be misinformed. Rather than believe what you're told, or what you may have read someone saying about President Obama's position, you should see if you can find anywhere, in his own policy statements, where President Obama states that as his policy.

The "smart people" say it's his "hidden agenda" and he can't state such an unpopular policy publicly, but will assure you it's there

To "stack" the Supreme Court requires openings, and with those positions being life long appointments, it's a difficult plan to build a policy around.

One has to hope you're the President when the situation arises giving you the ability to put your nefarious plan into effect, to change the leanings of the court.

And then of course, there's the little matter of the House and Senate having to vote to change the constitution to remove the 2nd amendment.