Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Default R.I.P. Johnny Pesky

Johnny Pesky left this world a few days ago at age 93 . Along with Ted Williams and Carl Yestremski he was the heart and soul of the Red Sox for the past 50+ years .
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
Johnny Pesky left this world a few days ago at age 93 . Along with Ted Williams and Carl Yestremski he was the heart and soul of the Red Sox for the past 50+ years .
Definitely agree.

Over a 50 year period, the Sox had only 3 left fielders.
Ted Williams, Carl Yastremski & Jim Rice.

Jimmie Foxx was my hero, then later Ted when I was growing up, Carl when my youngest son was growing up. But, Johnny was a favorite for me & all my boys over his 50 year career.

O F C'er
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Admiral

I became a Redsox fan when Rico Petrocelli began to play for the team . I still root for the team but this year its a mess .
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
I became a Redsox fan when Rico Petrocelli began to play for the team . I still root for the team but this year its a mess .
Some of the years w/Rico were the strongest hitting teams ever, they had 300 hitters and/or H.R. hitters at every position. But limited depth in pitching.

I was born a Sox fan since I grew up in Boston. When I was about 10yo I would take a street car, train then a trolley car to Fenway Park for a nickel, pay 50 cents for a ticket, hotdog, nickel to get home & have change from a buck. After the game we would wait outside the players parking lot hoping players would come to the fence for autograph signing. I would get home for supper and my Mother never knew I was at Fenway. Times were different then, I cannot imagine my G'kids x-ing a major city with their 10yo friends.

O F C'er
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Default Those were the days

When I was a kid I could walk anywhere in NYC at any hour and not be afraid .

Some of these areas I would not feel safe carrying an Uzi .
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

L. Fan, you are a rare breed. Only the 2nd person over the many, many years I met or talked to from NY that is a Red Sox fan. NYers are usually Sox haters, as Bostonians are usually Yankee haters.

O F C'er
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:31 PM
Admiral

I rooted for the Celtics when they had Bob Cousy (born in NY)

Rico Petrocelli (born in NY)