Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Default Technology

Could you exist without a computer ? Unless you are a teenager most of your life was without a computer .

I know several people who do not own computers and seem to have no problems not having one .
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think most of us would have a huge problem without a computer, it is so much a part of life these days...

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Admiral

I have used my computer many times to find information that I could not find anywhere else.
Now that we are used to it. life would be diffilcult without one.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Captain

Computers have become extensions of ourselves. This will be even more the case as they continue to shrink and become wearable.

The new Google Goggles have the potential to really change things up.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
First Mate

I've been using a computer since back when they were made with vacuum tubes, but sure, I could exist without one. I'd miss the ease of communication and quick information, but could revert back to the telephone and the library. I'd miss my car more; there's no public transportation in small towns in New Hampshire, and eight miles or so in any of three different directions to the nearest supermarket or big box store.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It still amazes me that in a nano second you get an answer to any question, that pops into your head.

To be able to get "know" people across the globe, to have peoples lives saved because of technology, and, so much more... the answer to this question is.....NO! You'd have to kill me first.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I don't know what we'd do with techie geeks like Trip to clear the roads for us
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

C'mon now...you know I am the Queen of Cookies

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Default Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersolo View Post
I've been using a computer since back when they were made with vacuum tubes, but sure, I could exist without one. I'd miss the ease of communication and quick information, but could revert back to the telephone and the library. I'd miss my car more; there's no public transportation in small towns in New Hampshire, and eight miles or so in any of three different directions to the nearest supermarket or big box store.

I live in a town of 25,000 people . I gave up driving in 2003 and I do not miss it .However ,there is a bus that goes to more highly populated towns including a mall.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:23 PM
Admiral

We're adaptable animals, so I guess that most of us COULD do without computers if we had to. We certainly did so for a lot of years.

But I've got to say that it would be a very difficult transition for me. I use my trusty desktop for so many different things from the obvious stuff like the internet and e-mail to financial management to heavy photoshop applications to webmastering to database management.

About a year and a half ago I got hooked on family research. A friend who helped me get started and who bails me out when I get stuck has been doing it since he was a teenager, long before computers. He somehow did it on paper and index cards, and I think that's what amazes me most about him. I think that if I'd have tried to do the things I've done without a computer to keep things straight, my head would have exploded within a week.

And let's not forget the humble word processor. In connection with that family research, I'm writing a book about my mother's family which I will distribute within the clan. It's now the size of a novella, about 30,000 words and counting (although I'm almost done), with a lot of graphics, charts, and descendant reports. The descendant reports are generated by the family research software, but I edit them in word processing. And of course the body of the document is done in Word (with a double backup every night!)

Of course, I've always been a writer and I've been using word processing since its earliest days. I really don't know how I'd manage to go back to typescript, carbon paper and wite-out.

For all their frustrations, I'm very grateful to have had computers all these years. In balance, they have added greatly to both my productivity and my quality of life.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Default Writing

And let's not forget the humble word processor. In connection with that family research, I'm writing a book about my mother's family which I will distribute within the clan. It's now the size of a novella, about 30,000 words and counting (although I'm almost done), with a lot of graphics, charts, and descendant reports. The descendant reports are generated by the family research software, but I edit them in word processing. And of course the body of the document is done in Word (with a double backup every night!)

Of course, I've always been a writer and I've been using word processing since its earliest days. I really don't know how I'd manage to go back to typescript, carbon paper and wite-out.

In the 1960's I wrote 3 plays on my typewriter .

In the 1970's I wrote music and sports reviews on a typewriter .

In the 1980's I wrote a chapbook and a screenplay on my typewriter .

In the 1990's I wrote short stories and poetry on my typewriter .
I have yet to write anything on my word processor .
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post

In the 1960's I wrote 3 plays on my typewriter .

In the 1970's I wrote music and sports reviews on a typewriter .

In the 1980's I wrote a chapbook and a screenplay on my typewriter .

In the 1990's I wrote short stories and poetry on my typewriter .
I have yet to write anything on my word processor .
In other words, you quite literally don't know what you're missing. I switched over exclusively to word processing, oh I guess it must have been sometime in the 70s (it would be interesting to try to figure out exactly when it was), and never looked back.

To each his own, of course, but I've always been puzzled by people who won't even try innovations that can help their productivity. It's certainly true that you would be expected to use computers in any office environment today, and I doubt that many publishers any longer accept typed manuscripts from independent authors. You'd probably have to hire somebody to key it in, or use optical character recognition software to convert it to word processing files.

It's funny, but in the National Sculpture Garden in downtown DC, there's a huge sculpture of an old typewriter eraser. Those of you old enough will know what I'm talking about: the eraser wheel at one end and the brush at the other. Occasionally when I've been in the neighborhood I've just stood near it for ten minutes, watched and listened to the younger tourists walking by and listening to their comments. . ."What's THAT?" Some of them stop long enough to start guessing about what it might be. It's great entertainment.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
C'mon now...you know I am the Queen of Cookies
Would you bake us some cookies please?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Could you exist without a computer ? Unless you are a teenager most of your life was without a computer .

I know several people who do not own computers and seem to have no problems not having one .
I have worked with computers since the early 70s. They have paid for a lot of cruises.

My other primary occupation was oil field trash, so I could probably still exist.

Done:

Carnival Horizon Transatlantic

Carnival Splendor Panama Canal

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:57 PM
Captain

Could you exist without sugar, fine wines, great restaurants, electricity, nice homes, luxury automobiles, first class tickets around the world, suites on cruise ships, Christmas presents, designer clothing, custom made Italian shoes, etc, etc, etc.

Of course you could. I have met many people who have no problems not having these things.

But why would you want to?????
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Default Yes ,I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Could you exist without sugar, fine wines, great restaurants, electricity, nice homes, luxury automobiles, first class tickets around the world, suites on cruise ships, Christmas presents, designer clothing, custom made Italian shoes, etc, etc, etc.

Of course you could. I have met many people who have no problems not having these things.

But why would you want to?????
I don't add sugar to food .I do not drink alcohol ,nor do I drive .I've never traveled first class .I have a modest residence .I do not celebrate Christmas ,do not wear designed clothing ,do not wear custom made shoes .
I lived without a television and a telephone for 9 years .
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:05 AM
Admiral

It would be hard at first but I think I would adjust just fine.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:11 AM
Admiral

It would be a lot healthier . Americans spend too much time sitting .
One of the people I know who does not own a computer is a former champion athlete . He is in great physical shape for his age.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:27 AM
Admiral

Yes. Well you really don't need a computer to eat, sleep and breath?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It would be a lot healthier . Americans spend too much time sitting .
I don't suppose it's ever occurred to you that using a computer effectively can actually reduce the time you spend sitting. Because you've never done it, you have no basis to compare the efficiency involved in using, for example, word processing over typing. Or an Excel spreadsheet over a big green piece of paper with columns. Or a database over big boxes full of index cards. Or personal finance software over clumsy paper bill paying and check registers.

Those who have know that these applications are time savers, not time wasters.

But I guess what boggles me most of all is that a person who's never used a word processor has made sixteen thousand posts to an obscure online bulletin board.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Default Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
I don't suppose it's ever occurred to you that using a computer effectively can actually reduce the time you spend sitting. Because you've never done it, you have no basis to compare the efficiency involved in using, for example, word processing over typing. Or an Excel spreadsheet over a big green piece of paper with columns. Or a database over big boxes full of index cards. Or personal finance software over clumsy paper bill paying and check registers.

Those who have know that these applications are time savers, not time wasters.

But I guess what boggles me most of all is that a person who's never used a word processor has made sixteen thousand posts to an obscure online bulletin board.
I don't understand your point re the word processor and 16,000 posts .
If my goal on CM was solely to have a great number of posts then I would respond to every post on CM .
I actually don't understand why posts are counted . I've posted on boards (non cruise) where there is no indication of how many posts one has .

Several years ago a story about me appeared in a national magazine .Photographers came to my home and took pictures of me and my typewriter .
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Admiral

I believe that we don't really need Technology, humans find new tech fascinating and feeds our curiosty.
Unfortunately new tech then turns into the "norm" and part of our lives.
Then we need more new tech to feed that curiousty.
Catch 22??
Some hate it or are indifferent and some love it.

I personally love tech especially when I get a new device.

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Admiral

I don't have new devices .I had a rotary phone until recently .I have a cell phone but very rarely use it .

I have a television that I bought in 1994 ,a portable radio from 1986 and a calculator from 1976.

I buy books ,I'm not into nooks and kindles .
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I don't understand your point re the word processor and 16,000 posts .
Well, with all due respect, I think most people do understand the incongruousness of that.
Old August 25th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Admiral

When you get right down to the old "nitty-gritty," it's all a matter of preference.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I don't have new devices .I had a rotary phone until recently .I have a cell phone but very rarely use it .

I have a television that I bought in 1994 ,a portable radio from 1986 and a calculator from 1976.

I buy books ,I'm not into nooks and kindles .
So you do live with tech, albeit old tech just like the printing press.

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Captain

Technology just provides us with tools that we can choose to use or not. I look at my computer to be like my chainsaw. I could certainly cut a tree down with an axe, and some people may prefer this - give me the chainsaw!

And I, as I believe others on here are, am getting quite a laugh from people dissing tech - on a forum that requires a computer and the internet to participate in.
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

My son just showed me an APP he downloaded for his IPAD, where when you type it sounds like a typewriter keystroke. Hit enter, and it sounds like a return button on a typewriter.

He thought it was cool. I told him if he wanted I'd haul a typewriter out of the storage in the basement
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
My son just showed me an APP he downloaded for his IPAD, where when you type it sounds like a typewriter keystroke. Hit enter, and it sounds like a return button on a typewriter.

He thought it was cool. I told him if he wanted I'd haul a typewriter out of the storage in the basement

That's funny Kuki. Do you remember the name of it?

I could do without tech stuff, but I sure would miss it. No more phone books, research books, etc. That is what I would miss.

Remember sitting around trying to remember who was in a movie, and not remembering their name? Now you just google it.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Remember sitting around trying to remember who was in a movie, and not remembering their name? Now you just google it.
Luanne, do you not use IMDB for the above?

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!