Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Making it through

How is your area surviving the economic turndown? Granted it's been several years now, but do you have many closed store fronts? I know in my surrounding towns ther are still many, "for rent" signs.

I work in a very wealthy town, and, it seemed there were some customers being very conservative, but that was mostly the old monied crowd. There are days with not a sale, as happened Saturday, yet one customer can make the day, or sometimes a couple!

Some places in trouble are using groupon, as the restaurant my daughter works pt at is..They were giving $40.00 for $20.00..lots of area spas seem to be grouponing as well.

In certain places the homes in foreclosure are setting records...my boss told me, he heard on the radio, Bank of America is forclosing on peoples homes,and giving them away to needy people. Now, why take a home away from someone who in many cases, had been paying on the home for many, many, years, and, not try to refigure their payments, and allow them to stay in their homes, paying towards their mortgage..I didn't get that pov....

Here is a great looking little building, so many possibilities...but..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; August 28th, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, we still have way too many empty store fronts and houses up for sale....To me, it is very depressing, when will things really turn around already?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Our rcurrent unemployment rate is 11.2 percent.

As are most areas of the South, the people are generally infuriated at those who not only don't do but attempt to do nothing except sit on their keesters and await government hand-outs and yes, we have them too and they certainly aren't popular! All anyone around these parts ask is that people try...that all, just try.

Thankfully, this is also an area where people go out of their way to help their less fortunate neighbors. The tremendous outpouring of money (that many didn't have) as well as supplies and especially manual labor that was put forth following last year's devastating tornadoes was almost beyond comprehension). Of course there was government help but it was nothing compared to what the people themselves provided. That's why I get so burned up when some people call the South "backward" and "stupid." If that's being backward and stupid, then I'm glad I'm both!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We have been hit really hard here. Lots of new businesses where people had big dreams, have closed their doors.

Our community sees more bad times ahead, so it's a waiting game for our little area of the world.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Captain

I live close to Fort Collins, CO. We have actually done fairly well here. We did have some business close but others keep opening up. I saw a downturn in our business but we have weathered the storm and things are looking up.
Old August 29th, 2012, 02:57 AM
First Mate

Many small businesses in the area have closed their doors. Even the ONE local family doctor we had shut his doors this past Friday..For GOOD. He moved to San Antonio because he said he just wasn't making enough money to stay here. That is scary to a lot of us around here because when one of us gets very ill, we depended on his care (as was the case when I got the H1N1 virus a couple of yr ago). I was running 104 fever and the nearest hospital is an hour away. He had the Tamiflu that I needed and he was 3 minutes away!

Other businesses that have closed remain mostly empty and most that get new occupants close down within a year. It's really depressing to think about. We just keep hoping things will turn around in a few years....

CarnivalTriumph
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Admiral

In my part of Scotland, the situation can be best described as patchy.

We certainly don't have the level of foreclosures as we hear in the US and the mortgage providers certainly will use a forced sale of a home as a last resort in a depressed market.

Foreclosing homes often means empty houses which deteriorate rapidly thereby losing value making the situation worse.

Small businesses are certainly struggling - ticking over we would say - but that is because many people who are in paid employment are paying back their personal debts and squirreling money away. In short many are only buying essentials.

Having said that - visit an upmarket store in Glasgow - and some are on a buying spree. I would say the gap between the haves and have nots is widening.

I do see the occasional shoots of recovery but IMHO - and I am no economics expert, I would say we may have anotherr 3-5 years of this.

However, I may be only one of the few who does not lay the blame 100% at the door of the banks; a lot of people got greedy - borrowed hard and spent hard - and now the piper has to be paid. Until the piper has been paid in fully, consumer spending will remain relatively stagnant.

Sorry for the length of my reply.

Annie
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
However, I may be only one of the few who does not lay the blame 100% at the door of the banks; a lot of people got greedy - borrowed hard and spent hard - and now the piper has to be paid. Until the piper has been paid in fully, consumer spending will remain relatively stagnant.

Annie
I do blame the people more than the banks. The way I see it one has take responsibily for their actions.
A mature person shoud know his or her limitations and not borrow above their means.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Admiral

I think part of the problem was there was just too much being built in the first place especially in strip malls. But no doubt way too many home empty because they never sold or empty due to foreclosures.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:09 AM
First Mate

The number of foreclosures I saw this past spring in a wealthier area of Dallas was shocking to say the least..Supposedly, Dallas is one of the "least" hard hit Texas cities with regard to the economy so I was pretty shocked. However, Dallas is also known for a lot of people who like to live above their means...

CarnivalTriumph