Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Admiral

Default Weekend on the Left Coast

Just back from a quick turnaround to Los Angeles. Left on Friday morning for a long-anticipated weekend at UCLA for a three day seminar on Sherlock Holmes on film. Had about 110 hard core Sherlockians on campus for the event, which was smashing in every way.

In addition to UCLA faculty and professors from other schools, we had tremendous presentations from John Landis, Nick Meyer and other working stiffs. CBS ran the pilot of the upcoming "Elementary" series with Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu. The executive producer came along to answer questions. Interesting that CBS has firm ordered 13 shows before the premiere, which seems to indicate that they have a lot of confidence it will succeed. I think it will. I enjoyed it, and it is very different from "Sherlock." I believe it will shake out into more or less a police procedural.

Other presentations were on everything from costuming Holmes throughout his film history, to a rather complete analysis of the Rathbone/Bruce oeuvre, and lots of other things too. There were about 27 hours of class, plus dinners, lunches, etc. Plus a screening of a rare print of a 1923 British Holmes film with live piano scoring. For the entire time we had full use of the first-rate theater at the film school. Just made the 2:00 flight back from LAX to Dulles.

At breakfast this morning, a young woman who I'd been chatting with throughout the weekend told me she'd never been to a Sherlockian event before. I was shocked, because she was very well versed on Holmes, extremely intelligent, and basically "fit right in." She admitted that she'd had a ball and made an interesting comment: "There aren't any C+ people here, that's for sure." She grinned. I'd never really thought about it, but she's right. Part of the fun of Sherlockians is that I've never met a dumb one or a dull one. I grinned back and said that people who come to Sherlockian events do "self select." And yet, as as she also observed, there's no shortage of fun. There's lots of silliness, plenty of running gags, many laughs.

Thankfully, the 405 was pretty empty late this morning as I headed back to LAX. They're planning for Carmageddon II at the end of this month, which will close a stretch of the 405, all lanes, both sides, for two days. There was an electronic sign on the highway this morning with the news: SEP 29-30. . .405 CLOSED. . .EXPECT DELAYS. As we are fond of saying, "No ****, Sherlock."
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It sounds like a great weekend for you, and I loved the discription.

So glad you were able to go and have some fun.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Am so pleased to learn that Holmes is still not only going strong, but obviously gaining in popularity!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Am so pleased to learn that Holmes is still not only going strong, but obviously gaining in popularity!
Some call it a renaissance--I don't because you can't be reborn if you've never died, and Sherlock hasn't. But there's no doubt that there's been a massive surge in his popularity lately, with the Downey pictures, the BBC series, and now the Elementary series. More and more groups are springing up with more and more younger people, including a group called "The Baker Street Babes."

Those of us who've kept the flame alive over the decades are very pleased at all the new enthusiasm.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Admiral

For those who are interested I've put up a short description of the weekend events on the Red Circle website, front page under "Inner Circle" at www.redcircledc.org
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Although there have already been some subtle attempts at change in films, I just pray that the entertainment industry -- especially the film industry) always keeps Holmes "original;" the person we know and love.
I guess that's why organizations such as yours exhibit....to keep people in line.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean