Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,084
Default Toilets and more

First off let me say ďI will never ever remodel anything again everĒ! I might change something but not a complete remodel.

So letís talk toilets, how hard can it be to find a darn toilet? We need a decent round tall toilet. I like the Toto toilets but they have very limited choices, it seems if you want tall then you have to by elongated. This is where all our male folks can jump in and give me some suggestions. American Standard Champion 4 only comes in elongated and right high as they call it. Eljer has one but Iím not too sure of the brand.

So far as far as the room is concerned I have only picked out the white subway tile, vanity, Grohe shower system & sink faucet. I still need to find the floor and some type of a glass mosaic tile accent.
__________________
You can shake the sand from you shoes but it will never leave your soul

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~


Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM
green_rd's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indianapolis (USA)
Posts: 5,543
Default

Sorry Robin,
As a male I am fond of our tall elongated toilet we found at Home Depot.
__________________
Bob

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default My response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
First off let me say ďI will never ever remodel anything again everĒ! I might change something but not a complete remodel.

So letís talk toilets, how hard can it be to find a darn toilet? We need a decent round tall toilet. I like the Toto toilets but they have very limited choices, it seems if you want tall then you have to by elongated. This is where all our male folks can jump in and give me some suggestions. American Standard Champion 4 only comes in elongated and right high as they call it. Eljer has one but Iím not too sure of the brand.

So far as far as the room is concerned I have only picked out the white subway tile, vanity, Grohe shower system & sink faucet. I still need to find the floor and some type of a glass mosaic tile accent.

We have TOTO toilets in our bathrooms . We bought them on the advice of a friend who is a plumbing contractor .They tend to be a bit costly but they are an excellent product .
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Sorry Robin,
As a male I am fond of our tall elongated toilet we found at Home Depot.
Our bathroom is small and I mean small as you have to sit on a diagonal so your feet donít hit the tub. We are moving the tub wall 16 inches into one of the bedrooms just to make it more comfortable so we really need to stick to a round. Iím surprised at how many toilet makers donít give you the height option with a round. Iím learning quite a bit about myself and find the older I get the more of a creature of habit IĎve become. Now tubs I hate fiberglass tubs I like the old cast-iron by they just weigh to much so Iím looking at porcelain over steel but thatís another headache in its self. I tell you never ever again.
__________________
You can shake the sand from you shoes but it will never leave your soul

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~


Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,526
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

Aerogirl,
It may be a total headache now, but I bet when it is all done, you will love it. Once you find the right toilet, the floor and tiles are easy, there are so many nice ones out there now, that could be a tough decision. Be sure to post some "finished" pics...
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,893
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

When one gets older, and, the knees don't bend as well, tall is a good thing. Probably the round is being phased out of the industy.

Try a plumbing outlet store.

Here's a link.....http://www.americanstandard-us.com/t...t-Toilet-4921/
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
When one gets older, and, the knees don't bend as well, tall is a good thing. Probably the round is being phased out of the industy.

Try a plumbing outlet store.

Here's a link.....American Standard - Cadet 3 Tall Height Round Front Toilet - Product Details
Thanks tripp we are looking at American Standard Champion series.
__________________
You can shake the sand from you shoes but it will never leave your soul

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~


Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Aerogirl,
It may be a total headache now, but I bet when it is all done, you will love it. Once you find the right toilet, the floor and tiles are easy, there are so many nice ones out there now, that could be a tough decision. Be sure to post some "finished" pics...
I started with the tile and then the vanity and now working on the tub & toilet. Can't pick the vanity until you have the tile and I know tile wise I've pretty much have it. I love white subway tile to me it's always in style ,fresh and clean looking.
__________________
You can shake the sand from you shoes but it will never leave your soul

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~


Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,526
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

Oh, I agree with the white subway tile, can't go wrong there...
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:01 PM
MercedMike's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,236
Default Toilets

I love our grown up toidy! It is 2" longer, 2" higher and 2" wider than a normal toilet. For a gentleman of my maturity and construction it is perfect! It is from CRANE. http://www.craneplumbing.com/assets/...Sheet_2865.pdf

In another part of the house we converted a closet into a small bathroom. The idea was to buy a basic pedestal sink for $39 and a basic toilet for another $39.

However -- when we got to the hardware store my DWs eye fell on this sink, brass and marble, and she HAD to have it! It cost more than $39.



So -- I said, if she gets that fancy sink, I get to decorate the other end of the room ... and came up with this delight, a replica of a fixture from Thomas Crapper and Company, London:



So our small bathroom turned into The Crapper. We love it.

The remodeling was part of a major fire that happened while we were on a trip to Cambodia. Having your house totally rebuilt is quite an experience. Since I am used to doing trip reports with photos, I gave the house building a page too. If you are interested, check out

THE FIRE!

Not a method I recommend for getting your house remodeled. But in the end it turned out wonderfully!
__________________
Mike

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
I love our grown up toidy! It is 2" longer, 2" higher and 2" wider than a normal toilet. For a gentleman of my maturity and construction it is perfect! It is from CRANE. http://www.craneplumbing.com/assets/...Sheet_2865.pdf

In another part of the house we converted a closet into a small bathroom. The idea was to buy a basic pedestal sink for $39 and a basic toilet for another $39.

However -- when we got to the hardware store my DWs eye fell on this sink, brass and marble, and she HAD to have it! It cost more than $39.



So -- I said, if she gets that fancy sink, I get to decorate the other end of the room ... and came up with this delight, a replica of a fixture from Thomas Crapper and Company, London:



So our small bathroom turned into The Crapper. We love it.

The remodeling was part of a major fire that happened while we were on a trip to Cambodia. Having your house totally rebuilt is quite an experience. Since I am used to doing trip reports with photos, I gave the house building a page too. If you are interested, check out

THE FIRE!

Not a method I recommend for getting your house remodeled. But in the end it turned out wonderfully!
Mike
It looks nice. I plan on tiling the all the walls in the room about 40 inches high and than all the way to the ceiling in the shower area but now Iím thinking maybe I should just tile the shower area? Not sure what the style is now. Iíll post some pictures of my bath later today.


The fire pictures horrible they made my stomach hurt as we had a house fire 8/25/1978 and itís just something that has stuck with me all these years. We lost everything except what was in my mom closet which had our pictures and personal memorabilia. The loss of our pets is still the hardest part to this day. Iím happy you and your family were safe.
__________________
You can shake the sand from you shoes but it will never leave your soul

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~


Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,526
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

Mike,
Were they ever able to figure out, how the fire started?
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,084
Default


As you can see it is a small room. We are moving the tub wall 16 inches so it should give us about 12 inches more foot space. The doorway will also be moved to allow for a 24 inch vanity. As you can see I like white tile maybe I should change to a new color but I'm feeling stuck on the white.
__________________
You can shake the sand from you shoes but it will never leave your soul

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~


Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM
MercedMike's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,236
Unhappy The fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Mike,
Were they ever able to figure out, how the fire started?
Yes, they did a thorough investigation. They concluded it was the old fashioned cap and tube wiring from the 1930s. The Fire Captain said every house in our neighborhood is wired the same way and in the same danger.

There is a picture on the first page of the web site of the old wiring.
__________________
Mike

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
MercedMike's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,236
Thumbs up Tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Mike
It looks nice. I plan on tiling the all the walls in the room about 40 inches high and than all the way to the ceiling in the shower area but now Iím thinking maybe I should just tile the shower area? Not sure what the style is now. Iíll post some pictures of my bath later today.
We have that tile half way up the bathroom walls and love it. In fact it was one of the few things they saved after the fire, because we asked them to. One of their workers spent two days in the bathroom scrubbing the tile and grout. There is a picture on the web site.

I am not sure what today's style is, but I think the tile 40 inches up looks very nice. Also it makes cleaning the walls easy. I would do it!
__________________
Mike

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
crapper, cruising, decorating, gay, high, images, london, paris, room, small, thomas, toilet, toilets

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noisy toilets!!! chosen175 All Things Cruising 14 October 2nd, 2006 12:28 PM
toilets TiaK Royal Caribbean International 6 June 10th, 2004 11:46 AM
Disabled Cabin - Toilets Sequim88 Disabled Cruisers 17 October 10th, 2003 09:28 PM
Sucking Toilets. Paul B Travel Gripes! 8 March 16th, 2002 02:25 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1