Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Default Aside from Military and LE, what do you think are the most dangerous professions

As for your truly, I've two....as John Paul Jones might say, one is by sea the second is on land.

To me the most dangerous professions are commercial fishing (especially in the Arctic where if you're washed overboard, you're more than likely history) and the other is working the high iron. You couldn't pay me enough to do either.

What are yours?
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Familiar Face

Working with large animals is always risky: cattle farmer, jockey, horse trainer, etc. Some types of construction/factory work. Deep sea diving/extreme sport instructor/racing car driver/stunt actors etc, not so many people do that sort of thing but it's obviously dangerous.

Also need to think about chronic low-level risks like working with chemicals on an ongoing basis. eg female gardeners can get hormone poisoning from working with pesticides, asbestos exposure, butchers can get lung problems from meat glue powder, etc. That sort of thing can kill you slowly.
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Bomb makers
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Was persononally only thinking of major industries but you are, as the British say, "Spot On" with all of your suggestions.
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Admiral

I've sometimes wondered how many people in violent parts of the world have blown themselves to Kindgom Come trying to fashion such things. Breaks your heart, doesn't it?
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Not just violent parts of the world .It happened on W. 11 St . in Manhattan .

---------------
Years ago when I worked for the USDL I ment many returning US soldiers who had been bomb makers and were looking for employment when they returned to the US.
----------------------------------------------------------
Re LE people .Aside from the everyday activity ,those in greatest jeopardy are the ones working undercover .
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Lakers Fan,

That's why I left out miliary and LE. Just prior to my retirement I was scheduled to go to bomb school at Ft. Rucker AL. The school I would have enjoyed; doing it for real, however....................

I forgot to welcome JeanW to our fold, especially in view of such an astute answer about which I had never even considered although she is absolutely correct. Now THAT is a "thinking person!"

Welcome aboard Jean and I so hope you both enjoy your stay and we "grow" on you. Don't be too surprised if both happen!

And BTW Henry, feel free to send some of thost Rosh Hashanah goodies southward. We don't get such delicaies in these parts except of course Knoxville and I rarely make it down there. I have a "big thing" for Jewish desserts!
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the warm welcome! I had a poke around a few cruise forums to see where I'd feel most comfortable, and this seemed like the friendliest place.

I used to work in life insurance about a zillion years ago, still remember a few things about relative risks all these years later.
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Nursing! You are exposed to all the major and minor illnesses out there; even with the use of universal precautions you are exposed to many bacteria and viruses. You deal with violent, psychotic patients who can and will hurt you. You deal with family members, who under stress, can strike out at you. You deal with confused or demented patients who do not understand what is happening to them (and they will strike out and fight you because they do not understand what is happeing to them.) You deal with patients who are high or under the influence.

I have not yet met a doctor, nurse or other supportive medical personnel who are not positive for MRSA, VRE and other infections. We have been exposed so many times, we are colonized with these bacteria and viruses...which is why when we glove, mask and/or gown before seeing you, it is for your proteciton as well as ours!
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Nursing! You are exposed to all the major and minor illnesses out there; even with the use of universal precautions you are exposed to many bacteria and viruses. You deal with violent, psychotic patients who can and will hurt you. You deal with family members, who under stress, can strike out at you. You deal with confused or demented patients who do not understand what is happening to them (and they will strike out and fight you because they do not understand what is happeing to them.) You deal with patients who are high or under the influence.

I have not yet met a doctor, nurse or other supportive medical personnel who are not positive for MRSA, VRE and other infections. We have been exposed so many times, we are colonized with these bacteria and viruses...which is why when we glove, mask and/or gown before seeing you, it is for your proteciton as well as ours!

I'm with you on this one. Our hospital is very clean but even we have issues along the way with bacteria and viruses. We do our best. Another problematic area we have (we are a trauma center) is in our ER's with drug crazed folks and in our OR's which take the bad ER folks (gun shot victims and stab wounds) and drop them off to us. Going from having a cup of coffee to full out sprint is quite the challangewhen we get them and they don't want surgery. Do you think it matters if they have a knife sticking out of their belly and they want to go home????? This is why I cruise to get away from that!!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old September 16th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Admiral

There's always been the old adage that if you want to really get sick, go to the hospital. There's so much truth in that!

Maybe it's a good thing I'm not in medicine. If the guy with the knife or the bullet in him didn't want treatment, I'd just say, "See yah" and go back to lunch! Oh and if he refuses treatment that means exactly that! No pain killers, no creature comforts, nothing! Oh, and I'd add, "Don't call me back in a half hour with a change of mind, unless you're a real "wuss" after all and I'll make sure everyebody knows that as well!
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Fire fighters & Repo men

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Admiral

I was going to say fiefighters, not all fires are problems for them but when they have to go in a burning building or fighting a large land fire those are very dangerous situations for them.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Default Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Lakers Fan,

That's why I left out miliary and LE. Just prior to my retirement I was scheduled to go to bomb school at Ft. Rucker AL. The school I would have enjoyed; doing it for real, however....................

I forgot to welcome JeanW to our fold, especially in view of such an astute answer about which I had never even considered although she is absolutely correct. Now THAT is a "thinking person!"

Welcome aboard Jean and I so hope you both enjoy your stay and we "grow" on you. Don't be too surprised if both happen!

And BTW Henry, feel free to send some of thost Rosh Hashanah goodies southward. We don't get such delicaies in these parts except of course Knoxville and I rarely make it down there. I have a "big thing" for Jewish desserts!
If I eat everything served today I will not be able to get into my suit tomorrow .
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Default YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post

My wife is an RN and everyday is an experience that most people cannot fathom .
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Admiral

another thing that everyone forgets. Not only is nursing a very dangerous profession, it it among the most compassionate imaginable.
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'll admit that I cheated and looked this one up. I did think that Jean's assumption was spot on. Having grown up on a farm I know the inherent dangers there are when working with animals and heavy machinery. There are a lot of dead and dismembered farmers who got their arms caught in the Power Take Off (PTO) of a tractor or attacked and mauled by "Cleo" the bull. It's a main reason a bull has a ring in its nose. I saw my father bring a 1800 lb. bull to the ground by grabbing it and twisting.

In my cheating I found that Law Enforcement is actually down on the list of most deaths/100,000. Airline pilots (mostly small aircraft), miners, fishermen, loggers, roofers, sanitation workers, truck drivers and industrial machine repairmen all have a greater chance of injury and death than a Law Enforcement Officer.

Another interesting thing I found is that most injuries and deaths to LEO are from traffic accidents. I can understand this. The number of Bozos who don't move over when they see an officer on the side of the road making a traffic stop is ridiculous.

I am grateful for the risks that our Law Enforcement Officers take for our safety but there are other jobs out there that are performed that are just as, or even more, risky.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Mike,

I didn't necessarily mean killed. I meant killed and injured and no I didn't look up the results. As a matter of fact, I had always understood that the deadliest job was that of being a commercial fisherman.

When it comes to injuries and not just deaths, sorry buddy, but I'll put LE up there with the best of them.
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Captain

Truck Driving is a dangerous profession. Alot of drivers are killed every year and the sad part is that the trucker usually is not at fault. I have driven over 2 million safe miles and have seen a bunch of nasty accidents and I thank God that He has kept me all these 25 years.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Wild animal handlers. Those that handle snakes and gators (Steve Irwin, RIP). The Killer Whale trainers at places like Sea World (Dawn Brancheaux, RIP) Jack Hanna and others like him are brave souls to handle so many animals. For all the good they do they are still in a risky job. You never know when a seemingly harmless animal will turn on you.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 17th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Captain

Default Dangerous Jobs

How about the store clerk who is standing in front of the doors when the Black Friday sales start.......
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Pootersdad

Now THERE you have a VERY dangerous profession.
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Actually, the world's most dangerous common job is the title of a popular TV show, The Deadliest Catch and that is of course, the job of commericial fishemermen.