Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Captain

Default Back from Alaska

We have returned from a great trip to Alaska. It started out on rough note with our connecting flight from Chicago to Fairbanks being cancelled. After spending 13 hours at O'Hare we were re-routed through Seattle, then Anchorage (overnite in the airport) and finally made it to Fairbanks one day late. Seems there was a really bad wind storm in Anchorage and the plane we were to take on Weds. am was unable to get to Chicago on Tues. evening. I just know that I have seen all of that airport I ever want to see again.
We did a land package prior to our cruise which worked out great. The highlight was the train from Fairbanks to Whittier. It was 10 hrs long but oh so worth it. Saw so many beautiful sites along the way. Our guide onboard did a wonderful job keeping us informed of what we were seeing.
Boarded the Diamond Princess and sailed southbound for 7 days. I must say the ship was beautiful, staff was very good but we were a little disappointed in the food in the main dinning room. Seems what we got at the Horizon buffet was better tasting but no matter it was still good since I didn't have to cook it.
The glaciers were beautiful, the ports were rainy (we were ready for that), and overall it was a good trip. The other 51 in my group added their stamp of approval on the entire trip too. My husband always tells everyone "It is all about the stories" and boy do we have some good ones from this trip.
Would love to add some pictures but I am not smart enough to figure out how to do it. I will try to figure it out just in case someone would like to see them.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Thanks for sharing, Sue!

Glad you enjoyed your Alaskan trip - I know it was one of our favorites when we spent 14 days on a cruise tour a few years ago.

Sorry you had such a huge problem with the flights, but alas, Mother Nature always seems to have a mind of her own at times.

But your story is the reason why rule #1 for such a trip is to plan and go at least a day or two early just in case. And rule #2 is make sure you get the travel insurance.

As for your train trip, perhaps you did this but you didn't mention it in your write-up, it would have been great had you spent a day or two in Denali enroute from Fairbanks to Whittier. The Princess Lodge is wonderful, as is the Holland America lodge, and they are both right near the entrance to the park.

As for adding pictures, when you're creating your post, there's a button below that says Manage Attachments. Makes it easy to add a picture to your post. Let us know if you need more help. But you're right, taking pictures when in Alaska is a full-time job as it is a wonderful place to visit. Definitely someplace everyone has to go at least once.

So glad you had a great trip.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old September 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Sorry about the rough start but it sounds as if it remained worth the effort and then some!

I would love to see Alaska. They say it's one of the most beautiful places in the world. I am so glad you were lucky enough to fulfill your adventure!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old September 18th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome Home.... You had it both coming and going it seems! Enjoyed your pictures, and, want more

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

WElcome home,
Sorry about the rough start, but the rest of the trip sounded good. I too hope to do that itinary in the next year or two, but the air arrangements have kept me sceptical as you just witnessed...Last trip to Alaska on Star Princess, we too took our meals in the Horizon court, even for dinner and it was good and service was fast.. How were the shows?

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It sounds like you had a great time, except for a few things. I love Alaska!! Glad you had a good time.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Thanks so much for the card! Gosh, how I wish I had been with you.

Hope everything is back to normal for you and that your post cruise blues aren't that severe!

I'm hanging in there and Felix is currently hanging on my leg which in and of itself doesn't mean that much except that if he's going to hang on my leg, I definitely need to cut his claws!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean