Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Google Chrome

Okay - a big story is out today about a flaw in Internet Explorer - so they recommend using something else.

So, I started up Google Chrome as I had installed, and it had a virus in it (a re-director). But no problem, I uninstalled that older version and installed the latest Chrome and no more virus.

But one thing is really cool - Chrome shows me when I mistype a word in these forums. And all of you know I am a terrible typist. This is huge for me (and all of you who have to read my garbage. I can even right-click and get suggested words - no re-typing.

I am now sold on Chrome - this is cool.

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I know, I know, don't yell at me..aol runs in my veins.,...on this new netbook, I have Chrome...I will give it a shot.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 18th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

AOL...

That is just so funny to me, and I still have programs I use that were made in 1996.

But AOL is so 56k-modem - it boggles my mind that anyone would even use it anymore, but I know people who do.

Even if I still had an AOL email address I would not use AOL. It kills me that people still even go there. It's like "Web-TV" now.

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Installing chrome caused problems for me .
Old September 18th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Okay Paul, now that I've made it my web browser, hop on a plane and come and show me how to use it. Got a feeling I'm going to be using my Internet Explorer (that goes through FireFox) for awhile yet.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old September 19th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

After I got a virus last week, from a trusted site, I did change over to Chrome. I think IE, Chrome and Firefox all have their good points and bad points. I find IE far easier to use because I'm a Windows person and run Windows Server on my main system and Windows XP or 7 on my other computers.

What I find funny is people will start using Chrome of Firefox and then get all excited that they seem to run so much faster. Wait a couple of months and they'll be as slow as IE was.

It's sort of six of one and a half dozen of the other. The problem is that most of the virus' and the Trojans attack IE. Why??????? Because it's the most popular and, like Jessie James said about banks. "That's where the money is." Also, there are some tech doofs that just want to attack the big guy. Microsoft is the big guy.

Linda: Please dump AOL.

Todd: If you are using IE (Internet Explorer) it has nothing to do with Firefox. It's one or the other. They are completely different programs that basically do the same thing. It's like saying you are driving a Toyota and a Nissan at the same time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Captain

I love Chrome. I have been using it for quite a while now. I have found some sites that it doesn't work well with so I keep Explorer and Firefox installed but Chrome is so sleek and easy to us I love it.

Yes! Dump AOL! They started out as an internet portal and have managed to, somehow, stay around as web portal/browser hybrid of some sort.
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
Installing chrome caused problems for me .
I too had a problem installing in on my I Phone. D/H & D/S had no problemdoing it, maybe I need to try again.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Funny you should mention this. My default browser is Explorer. I haven't been looking at this site or the boards much lately but when I have over the past month or so, the boards frequently stick and don't come up. Often it takes three or four tries. For the record, I haven't had problems with any other sites. This morning CM was really balky and I had difficulty bringing up pages on this site. I finally got to this thread and decided to try bringing the site up in Chrome. It came up fine and navigates with no sticking.

I've used Chrome for a long time as the browser for my "job" as webmaster, using the Mod-x content management system. It just seems to get along better with that system, things happen more efficiently, inserting graphics and pdf's from the ftp site is easier, and so on.

And it's certainly running this site more efficiently today.

I generally don't have any speed problems with anything. My connection is FiOS fiber.
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Admiral

AR,

Are you sure your connection isn't FIDO?
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
AR,

Are you sure your connection isn't FIDO?
I think your barking up the wrong tree there Todd.
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I know for a fact that the people who run the servers for this site all use Chrome. I have advised them that they should check it in IE all the time, but they say it is MY duty to do that.

That's OK.

But what I like about Chrome is that it underlines my typos all the time, even as I type right now. IE does not do that. So I can check all my posts more easily. That's a big deal for me because I never really learned how to type.

Old September 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I also like Chrome a lot better since I figured out how to restore my "favorites bar" just like I had it in MSIE.

Old September 20th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Admiral

I installed it but don't use it for the very reason you just mentioned. I can't find how to access my "favorites."
Old September 20th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I know for a fact that the people who run the servers for this site all use Chrome. I have advised them that they should check it in IE all the time, but they say it is MY duty to do that.
I've noticed that sometimes sites look different with different browsers. This is very annoying when you're trying to lay out a page. And different browsers are just one way things can be jumbled up. How the end user sets his zoom control is a factor, and God knows what else (oops! sorry for the religious reference--but at least it's a capital G). I've even seen different browsers bring up the same copy in different typestyles. Pain in the butt.

My pal who's knows this stuff says that every browser sees html a little differently. How nice.

It's like the other week in LA I was having a conversation with the head of the UCLA Film and Video Archive. We were talking about the fact that no matter how much production and distribution of movies switch over to digital, the last thing the producer does when the dust settles is make 35mm separation masters of the "movie" for archiving. That's because the high-end digital formats used for this stuff are changing every five years or so, and are NEVER backward compatible. And as this guy pointed out, nobody can afford to re-archive every movie ever made every five years. But those analog strips of celluloid with holes along the sides have worked perfectly and with no fundamental change for over a century now, and will continue to serve us by preserving a crucial legacy.

Last edited by AR; September 20th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I installed it but don't use it for the very reason you just mentioned. I can't find how to access my "favorites."
1. Bring up Google Chrome
2. Click the "Wrench" icon in the upper right hand corner. Right under the RED X
3. Click "Bookmarks"
4. In the drop down box click "Import Bookmarks"
5. Choose "Import Bookmarks from "Internet Explorer".
6. After it does its thing. Close and restart Chrome and your IE bookmarks (Favorites) will be there.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me