Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:07 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden
Default priceline.com

So...i have never used this site before. I am driving home from florida, getting sleepy in Tennessee, so i brought up some hotels in the knoxville area and the 3 stars were coming in around $150. I figured what the heck, i'll try priceline, and got a holiday inn (which was one i looked at priced at $139) for $60! Thought that was pretty cool! Anyone ever used it for flights? That would make me a bit more nervous since it would be more difficult to control.

This post brought to you by priceline.com ;-)

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I wouldn't use it for flights unless you have no time restraints, and, no cares about how many stops or layovers to your destination. I could never give over the contril on that ...Hotels are a different story, as well as rental cars,and I have used it for both.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 21st, 2012, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, it works great for Hotels as long as you have the correct location, but I wouldn't use it for flights either...Glad it worked out well for you, WTG.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Kelly,

I could have beat that hands down!

If you had driven an additional 65 miles you would have had dinner at a gorgeous upscale hotel a king sized bed with bath out in the country, your personal cuddly four footed little furry animal to keep you company should you have desired, and a world class breakfast.

And it would all have been free!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:00 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

.-)

I was actually going to see how close to I-75 you were but i know you mentioned this weekend you were travelling somewhere i will however be back this way in the spring and may be taking you up on that! :-)

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I used Priceline once, NEVER again. I had booked my flight online from Boston to Orlando. I took the earliest available to be sure I had time to make if from NH. In the meantime Delta changed us to an earlier flight which meant we would not be able to get a bus early enough from Concord NH to make it to Boston on time. So I decided to travel to Boston the night before and take a room at the airport. So I put in Airport and my price range. Well I was stuck at a hotel out in the suburbs of Boston. Since I grew up in the area I knew the neighborhood was not Boston's finest. It was the Hilton Garden Inn, Revere. I still paid 89.00 plus tax. No bargain there. When I put airport in priceline I was sure they would give me the Hilton airport Inn or the Holiday Inn that was just outside the airport. Both were known to me. I had a mentally challenged woman traveling with me. We went off in search of the hotel restaurant to find it was only serving the large group that was staying in the hotel. This hotel is located on Rt 1 in Revere Ma. anyone who knows Rt1 knows that to try to cross it is suicidal. Not to mention there is a fence right down the median. Our restaurant choice was a sandwich shop that we could walk to by crossing the parking lot of the business next door. So I took Miss Patty to that place. The moment I stepped foot in the door I was sure that we were not eating there. I could feel and hear the sand on the floor under my feet. I looked into the dining area and was appalled. Food on the floor and filthy tables.I took Patty and we left. Back at the hotel I found that room service consisted of assorted delivery menu's from local restaurants. I eliminated the shop we had just rejected and we settled on pizza. A real treat for Miss Patty. The next morning we were downstairs bright and early to be sure we got on the first shuttle to the airport. It was the only one that would get us to our flight on time. We made it on time. That was my one and only experience with Priceline and it was just a lot of aggravation and no bargain at all.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I have used Priceline somewhere between 40 or 50 times and the only time I wasn't satisfied was the very first time I used it. I wasn't familiar on "how to bid".

The best thing you can do is take a look at what 4 and 5 star hotels are going for in the area you want and start your bidding at 1/2 that amount. You can do rebids if you change your star level. Never go below a three star hotel in a major city.

I booked my pre and post cruise hotels, for our upcoming Asia cruise, and I got the Atrium Hotel in Singapore for $90/night for three days. Online it's $230. In Hong Kong I booked the Cosmopolitan, near the racetrack, for $80/night for three days. Both are 4 star hotels with good reviews.

There is a good website that will give you a lot of information on how to use Priceline and it has been invaluable to me. It is BiddingForTravel.com Forums

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me