CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Would you buy this book? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/392069-would-you-buy-book.html)

katlady September 24th, 2012 11:14 PM

Would you buy this book?

Here is a trailer. My question is: Would you buy this book? Your choices are yes or no. I would love to hear why you picked the answer you did.

Luanne Russo September 24th, 2012 11:21 PM

The reason I said yes is I love reading about other people. I also love sucess stories.

I am going to go now and see if it's out yet.

belgique September 24th, 2012 11:42 PM

I would read it (maybe not BUY it!). Love reading biographies and success stories. Arnold's varied life would be interesting.

Wonder how he'll handle the Maria part in the book?

CruisinK n J September 25th, 2012 02:32 AM

Would You Buy This Book?

Arnold is a jerk, a wealthy jerk, but a jerk, nonetheless.

Judy

nlb1050 September 25th, 2012 08:56 AM

No, because I don't care about reading about any actors. And Arnold is as Judy says a Jerk.

Trip September 25th, 2012 09:01 AM

Nope......:)

kandajones September 25th, 2012 09:08 AM

I'm half with Nancy on this one.
I don't know if the guy is a jerk or not, but I am certain that I wouldn't care to read about actors or those from the entertainment world with 'celebrity' status - even if they have gone on to help others, most still have obscene amounts of money that could do a lot more to help our world.

Alan.

Luanne Russo September 25th, 2012 09:10 AM

Some of the best books were written about jerks. I thought this was about the book.

Trip September 25th, 2012 09:22 AM

How can you seperate the two? I think, especially if a reader is not a fan of biographies, there has to be a likeability factor to the person, that draws you in, wanting to know more...I don't mind reading about a liar, and a cheater, just not this liar and cheater.

Donna September 25th, 2012 09:33 AM

I just have no interest in reading about him, not a big fan...

katlady September 25th, 2012 11:41 AM

Interesting results. I tried not to include my own bias because I don't want to influence the voting. I'm going to wait a while longer before expressing my opinion on this one. ;)

Aidan September 25th, 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlb1050 (Post 1448051)
No, because I don't care about reading about any actors.

At what point did Ronald Reagan stop being an actor and start being politician?

Luanne Russo September 25th, 2012 01:48 PM

See, I have a different take on reading. Now if it's an article about him, I will skip over it, but this is a book about his life.

It will or should include his years with the Kennedys, Movies, Weight lifting and his beginning.

It is not unusual for me to read about people that I would probably not want to be in the same room with.

I just finished a book about Johnny Cash. He was also a cheater, drunk, and lier. But, it was a great book.

I have also read all I could find about Hitler. No way would I want to meet him, but I am interested in why he was the way he was.

Lakers Fan September 25th, 2012 01:58 PM

I could not see the book you are referring to but if it is the one about Arnold S my answer is No .

Sistersolo September 25th, 2012 08:29 PM

No, I won't buy it, but I will get it from the library and read it. One of my oddities is that I only buy books I've already read, when I think that I would like to read it again some years in the future. Arnold's may be worth reading but I can't imagine wanting to read it again ten years from now.

KellyKayden September 25th, 2012 09:24 PM

I don't think I would, only because the whole time I would be doing his voice in my head and after awhile it would get tiring :-D

Aerogirl September 25th, 2012 09:26 PM

Not a fan and could care less about him.

katlady September 26th, 2012 09:56 AM

Okay here is my opinion on the trailer, the book and him in general. I'm a state worker and was while he was Governor of California. He was a terrible Governor who used fear to get his way and would never admit to his mistakes. As far as the trailer goes how many times did he say I during that thing. He is clearly full of himself. It's a wonder his head fits through doorways.

Luanne Russo I totally get what your saying you can dislike a person but find it interesting when a story is written on their life. If this was just a biography and not an autobiography I might read it. But seeing he (or his ghost writer) wrote it I feel it will be a PR play instead of the real story of his life. So my answer was no I won't buy or read this book.

Since I had a strong opinion and dislike for him. I wanted to wait to express it because I didn't want people to feel that couldn't say yes without being jumped on. Everyone has the right to express their opinions it's interesting to get an idea of what people think especially when they think different then me. If everyone thought the same the world would be a boring place.:D

Trip September 26th, 2012 10:19 AM

Writing an auto biography is theraputic, many people say about the process, but, the writer controls what you read, and will not always, touch on the subject in depth, that most people want to know about the most. Some lay bare their souls, but, many don't.

From what I saw of this book on tv....if he wasn't blindsided in the therapist's office...it would have continued on, and on......as I mentioned, for me, there has to be a likeablity factor, to read about someone, in this case, the blurbs on the book on tv will suffice.

Mean Dean September 26th, 2012 01:23 PM

As an Oregonian, it was always interesting to watch what the Governator was doing.

But how about a guy who came here with nothing, worked his way up through bodybuilding to Mr. Olympia, who parlayed that success into a wildly successful acting career, who married a member of America's Royal Family, and got elected California's governer?

Now that's gotta be an interesting story!

ToddDH September 26th, 2012 07:58 PM

I see all of the above points and no I won't read the book but that's only because the individual doesn't interest me in the least. But I'll throw in my two cents worth.

I have read dozens and dozens of autobiographies including at least several by people I despised. Why did I read those then? Simply because without knowing it, people will write a lot about their lives that few if any know (things that even get past editors and those who promote the book), especially in their younger years. It often provides, for me at least, the reason(s) why they turned out the way they did, whether that be good or bad and therein lies the interesting part.

katlady September 26th, 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Dean (Post 1448268)
As an Oregonian, it was always interesting to watch what the Governator was doing.

But how about a guy who came here with nothing, worked his way up through bodybuilding to Mr. Olympia, who parlayed that success into a wildly successful acting career, who married a member of America's Royal Family, and got elected California's governer?

Now that's gotta be an interesting story!

Is that the same guy who took steroids, marijuana, cheated on his wife, and couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.;) Electing him Governor was a mistake it was not qualified for the job and he was a total failure at it. That's my con to your pro. :D

katlady September 26th, 2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1448315)
I see all of the above points and no I won't read the book but that's only because the individual doesn't interest me in the least. But I'll throw in my two cents worth.

I have read dozens and dozens of autobiographies including at least several by people I despised. Why did I read those then? Simply because without knowing it, people will write a lot about their lives that few if any know (things that even get past editors and those who promote the book), especially in their younger years. It often provides, for me at least, the reason(s) why they turned out the way they did, whether that be good or bad and therein lies the interesting part.

Those are an excellent points.:D

Mean Dean September 26th, 2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1448321)
Is that the same guy who took steroids, marijuana, cheated on his wife, and couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.;) Electing him Governor was a mistake it was not qualified for the job and he was a total failure at it. That's my con to your pro. :D

Katlady,

You're absolutely right!

Did he take steroids? Yes he did. (Don't know about the MJ, though.)

Did he cheat on his wife? Absolutely.

And while he won no Academy Awards, he was a very successful actor finacially.

I'm taking your word on his failure as governor, but several celebrities have been held elected office from California:

Ronald Reagan: Governor
Sonny Bono: Congressman
Clint Eastwood: Mayor (Carmel, CA)

One thing you neglected to mention is, that as head of the President's Council on Physical Fitness, Arnold smoked cigars like they were going out of style. In fact, I remember a photo of him as Governor, smoking a cigar, outside the Capitol building, under a tent.

All I'm saying, is that he's a real person -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

katlady September 26th, 2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Dean (Post 1448347)
Katlady,

You're absolutely right!

Did he take steroids? Yes he did. (Don't know about the MJ, though.)

Did he cheat on his wife? Absolutely.

And while he won no Academy Awards, he was a very successful actor finacially.

I'm taking your word on his failure as governor, but several celebrities have been held elected office from California:

Ronald Reagan: Governor
Sonny Bono: Congressman
Clint Eastwood: Mayor (Carmel, CA)

One thing you neglected to mention is, that as head of the President's Council on Physical Fitness, Arnold smoked cigars like they were going out of style. In fact, I remember a photo of him as Governor, smoking a cigar, outside the Capitol building, under a tent.

All I'm saying, is that he's a real person -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Before he because famous he did a film called Pumping Iron and he was caught smoking MJ and taking Steroids. It's true his bad stuff is out there like his good stuff. I just don't feel the need to read his book.
Here's a video from the film of Arnold smoking MJ.

Luanne Russo October 2nd, 2012 01:11 AM

I thought I would come back one last time, because I felt like this was unfinished business. I am getting help with the typing, so don't blame me.:D

The book arrived on my Kindle this morning. I started it around lunch time, and had to force myself to put it down, as it is very late here.

The book starts out post WW2 with the horrible conditions he and his family had to live in. It then goes to Germany where I spent 10 years of my life, and many of the places he talks about, I have been there.

I am now up to the part about him living in Calif. and trying to learn the language. He is smoking pot, which I read some of the comments on here, and had to laugh. Believe it or not he is not the only one in Calif. who smokes, especially the 60's.

So far the book is what I expected it to be. I my or may not read the chapter called Maria, because that is not really what I care about.

I also didn't watch the trailer, before I commented, and I have muted the tv today when he was interviewed, because many times the best parts are discussed, and it take away from the book.

I am lucky that I am still able to read, and understand, and that is truely a blessing. Unless we read, we never know what the other side is doing.

Take care all and God Bless you.

Luanne

Cruznut2 October 2nd, 2012 06:35 AM

I used to read a lot, 3-4 books a week. Now that my eyes are not what they used to be I read a lot less. I do not think I would read this book.
I was never interested in Arnold. His movies were not anything I would ever go to see. Not into the movies that are largely blow it up, shoot it, kill it and crash the and burn the vehicle movies. No plot and boring.

Laura

Trip October 2nd, 2012 09:36 AM

His smarmy apperances all over tv this week, with such a cavalier attitude, about his exploits, is the talk of the talk shows.The consensus is, they are not doing him any good.

Imagine having a husband who has a secret open heart operation! Imagine a husband who tells you 2 days before, he is running for Govenor! The man is in denial about how his actions have effected his family,and with his very wide shoulders, he shoulders none of it. Imagine upon meeting your future MIL,and saying to her,..,your daughter has a great a$$. Leslie Stahl, was in obvious amazement, with many of his remarks...rightly so.

Luanne, if you decide not to read about the family, you are missing what is the crux of most good reads. Like eating a jelly donut,and not getting to the center...

katlady October 2nd, 2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luanne Russo (Post 1448928)
I thought I would come back one last time, because I felt like this was unfinished business. I am getting help with the typing, so don't blame me.:D

The book arrived on my Kindle this morning. I started it around lunch time, and had to force myself to put it down, as it is very late here.

The book starts out post WW2 with the horrible conditions he and his family had to live in. It then goes to Germany where I spent 10 years of my life, and many of the places he talks about, I have been there.

I am now up to the part about him living in Calif. and trying to learn the language. He is smoking pot, which I read some of the comments on here, and had to laugh. Believe it or not he is not the only one in Calif. who smokes, especially the 60's.

So far the book is what I expected it to be. I my or may not read the chapter called Maria, because that is not really what I care about.

I also didn't watch the trailer, before I commented, and I have muted the tv today when he was interviewed, because many times the best parts are discussed, and it take away from the book.

I am lucky that I am still able to read, and understand, and that is truely a blessing. Unless we read, we never know what the other side is doing.

Take care all and God Bless you.

Luanne

As a native Californian I was shocked to hear other people are smoking pot in this state.LOL Just kidding, I only posted the youtube video because Mean Dean didn't know as the MJ. I didn't want Arnie suing me for liable.:mrgreen:
Plus if I make a statement like that I feel the responiblity to back up what I'm saying with evidence. That WW2 stuff does seem like it would be interesting. If he wasn't such a jerk (my opinon is not subject to liable;)) I might be inclined to read the book.

But a know a lot of stateworkers that lost their homes and had to file bankruptcy make of him furloughing away 14.5% of our salary. If it was a wise business decision that would be one thing. But he included revenue generating non general fund employees. Meaning that me and my co workers were furloughed weren't even paid out of the general fund and we generate more money then we cost. So furloughing us lost the state of California money. The man is an Idiot. Again for clarification here is an article regarding this. There was a Committee meeting that made him aware of this situation and he still furloughed everyone to be fair he said please.:x:mad: Oddly enough that article understates the lost of revenue because it doesn't include payroll taxes collected by the Employment Development Department.
State tax collectors denied exemption from furloughs - Los Angeles Times

mehawk October 2nd, 2012 02:22 PM

Why reward a person who committed transgressions as he has? He is a loser in the end.