Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Highway robbery in the skies

I booked Spirit for the 1st Epic cruise, in 2010....at that time, even with all the fees, it priced out less then Southwest with their free baggage. I betcha things would be different now....$100 for a carryon..!!!!! I would never choose to fly with them again......let's hope others don't follow suit.,..ya right.

A Carry-On Will Cost as Much as $100 on Spirit - ABC News

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; September 26th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Admiral

If I know the fees before I book I can make a TCF (Total Cost of Flying) decision.

I just wish airlines would enforce size restrictions on carry on bags.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh, that is so outragious....It is bad enough with all the security that we deal with at all the airports, now this?? Will it ever end?

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Admiral

That's ridiculous! On a good flying note though, I just booked Hawaii this morning for $370 return with all taxes included. Thought that was a pretty decent deal
Old September 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
If I know the fees before I book I can make a TCF (Total Cost of Flying) decision.

I just wish airlines would enforce size restrictions on carry on bags.
Green,

You've hit the nail on the head. It's the total cost of flying that you should use to make your decision not just the "fare".

A lot of people bad mouth RyanAir in Europe. Granted they charge for just about everything except using the bathroom. (There are plans for that also)
However, I flew RyanAir from Wroclaw (Vorswav) Poland to Nottingham, England. The total cost of the flight was $320 for two people. Half of that cost was the cost of our luggage. It sort of irritated me, BUT if I had flown KLM, SwissAir or Lufthansa the cost would have been almost $600 per person. There would be no extra charge for luggage. I wouldn't have had to pay for my drink (even water) and I would not have had to check my C-PAP.

It was not the most comfortable seating but for 1.5 hours I could tolerate it and for 1/2 the cost that one person could fly if we went with another airline. So, the nickle and diming can be a pain in the rear but sometimes it pays off.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Admiral

When I looked for air for the Epic cruise this past March, flights to FLL, were for the most part, were over $1000.00 for two! Granted this cruise was during spring break, but, were also finding prices at $900.00 for the 2010 Epic cruise. It's insane, but, with constant monitoring of the fares,we were able to finally get it under $700.00,and live with it...I agree, you do have to get the most comfortable price, and, live with it, becoming part of your overall cruise cost.

Airports are not going to be happy places

Old September 26th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
That's ridiculous! On a good flying note though, I just booked Hawaii this morning for $370 return with all taxes included. Thought that was a pretty decent deal
That's really a good price. I have been shopping for our march trip and it's really high as well as the car rental.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
That's really a good price. I have been shopping for our march trip and it's really high as well as the car rental.
I booked for April on Alaska Air.
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Captain

They offer you a chance to book luggage when you buy the ticket, send reminder emails before you leave that it's cheaper to buy before arriving at the airport, and let you save money by booking at the counter. If you seriously wait until getting to the gate I can see that being an inconvenience for them. Charge $500 is ok with me, makes my trip cheaper

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM
First Mate

Would you believe that when Spirit first started out back in 2005, I managed to get a $29 flight from Dallas/Ft Worth to Grand Cayman???!! Yeah, $29 bucks!! No charge for the baggage at all as i recall. If so, it was nominal..Long gone are the days of that kind of a steal!

CarnivalTriumph
Old September 28th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Mike, I can not understand why you had to check your c-pap. I thought since it is medical epquiment it is allowed in the cabin with you and does not count as an extra carry on. They would have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands before I would allow them to take it from me. The way they handle things I would be terrified it would be broken.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Mike, I can not understand why you had to check your c-pap. I thought since it is medical equipment it is allowed in the cabin with you and does not count as an extra carry on. They would have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands before I would allow them to take it from me. The way they handle things I would be terrified it would be broken.

Laura
Laura,

Necessary medical equipment is a United States, FAA regulation. The rules aren't the same when you leave the United States.

That is something all travelers should learn. Don't assume things are the same in a foreign country as they are here in the U.S..

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Admiral

I am fortunate that I live within an hour's drive of a cruise terminal. I simply refuse to fly now because of all of the restrictions involved. Last time I flew, I had to because I had no other way to get from D.C. to Houston within a day.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Admiral

I have to admit, I've been lucky.

For years I didn't fly then last year, about a year after Fran died, the family told me that I needed to get away and I had always wanted to go to the Cruisemates Central Fl. dinner hosted by Ray and Helen.

Turned out the air-fare, round trip from Knoxville to Orlando on Allegiant was actually quite cheap so I went.

Then, Ray wanted me to go with them on the Epic Cruise so I checked Allegiant and it was still very inexpensive (I believe around $350 round trip) or thereabouts.

BTW, each flight then ws with one checked bag and one carry-on.

My Niece, who flys all over the world told me that in actuality, the seats on Allegiant (I call them DC-9's but I think they've changed the name to something like MD 80's, while being all the same size are actually wider than a coach seat on one of the big boys going to Europe. Let's be honest, the planes aren't new (around 18 years I think it averaged out) but the flight is only an hour and a half and I found the experience rather pleasant. Even the TSA at both points (especially Knoxville) went out of their way for me because I'm now the proverbial physical basket case.

Since these are the only two round trips I've taken in probably around 18 years I really don't have anything with which to compare. Are such fares on similar airlines and distances far more than that?

BTW, that cost included at the time one checked bag and one carry-on.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old September 30th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Admiral

With carriers chomping each other up like Pacman, routes being consolodated, and, in some cases eliminated, trying to find that comfortable fare, just gets harder, and harder. One of the less expensive fares I found for Fll, was to fly to Detroit. Sorry, don't want to fly that far west to go south..I did end having to fly to Cincinnati first though.

Gone are the memories of being able to fly to Fll, 5 times a day,and non stop to boot, for $99.00 each way...ahhh the good old days!

Old September 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Admiral

It seems that everything is going up, these days. What Rob and I have found is that if you book a cruise on certain cruise lines like Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, there is a thing called "choice air", that works great on a repositioning cruises. The cruise line buys a round trip cruise ticket and it is given to two different people; one for going to europe and the other returning from europe. With air fares, as with most anything, the more flexible you are, the more likely you will garner a good deal. Also, flying into a smaller airport can save you money. It sometimes pays to rent a car and drive to your desired location from the smaller airport.
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Trip,

I remember routinely flying from Newark to Miami for a hundred and something round trip! Fran and I frequently used to go and visit my Aunt who insisted in buying the tickets.

Were she to be alive today and knowing her (even though she had money) I think she'd be rather let's say........hesitant?

Last edited by ToddDH; September 30th, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Sadly, what used to be an exciting adventure...going away now, has become a chore, from beginning to end...

Old October 1st, 2012, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Trip,

What you said is absolutely true......and to add injury to insult, an expensive one at that!
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was reading this thread and thinking of the flight I took from Boston to Orlando for the Glory B cruise. We paid $169 round trip from Boston to Orlando on Delta. That was in 2005. I guess I will never see that again.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
I was reading this thread and thinking of the flight I took from Boston to Orlando for the Glory B cruise. We paid $169 round trip from Boston to Orlando on Delta. That was in 2005. I guess I will never see that again.

Laura
Those were the days my friend. Of course, in 2005 gas was in the $2.00 to $2.50 range. I guess we'll never see that again either. Do you suppose there's a correlation?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Those were the days my friend. Of course, in 2005 gas was in the $2.00 to $2.50 range. I guess we'll never see that again either. Do you suppose there's a correlation?
In Northern Virginia, gas was under $2.00 a gallon in 2009 during the depths of the recession.

There is some correlation between jet a prices and fares, but free-market competition is the main driver, which is why fares from NYC to the west coast and NYC to Florida remain in the range Cruznut mentioned.

As for fares outside competitive areas? Well, that is freedom.