CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Should I or Shouldn't I (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/392269-should-i-shouldnt-i.html)

MaryLou October 5th, 2012 06:44 PM

Should I or Shouldn't I

Hello!
It has been a very long time since I've visited....I hope everyone is well.
I am considering booking a cruise out of NOLA.......should I or shouldn't I?
It is on Navigator of the Seas. In all of our cruises, we have never sailed out of NOLA. I'd appreciate any tips for where to stay, etc.
Thanks!!!

Mike M October 5th, 2012 09:32 PM

Howdy ML!

Great to see you online again. I've missed you.

I have to say that there is no way you should book a cruise out of New Orleans........................................... .....................unless you take me. :)

Seriously: New Orleans is, in a way, like New York. It is a fantastic place to visit. There are fabulous restaurants, great sites to be seen and fun atmosphere. I have some wonderful times in New Orleans. Just be careful with the Hurricanes. I don't mean the storm kind but the "drink". I lost a day and a half of vacation because of those dang things. The first one tastes like cough syrup, the second is OK and the fourth one will rip the souls of your shoes out from the inside.

GO!!!!!!! You and Gary have fun.

Take care,
Mike

Kuki October 5th, 2012 09:38 PM

Hey ML,

Nice to see you're still busy cruising :)

Yes, you should cruise out of NOLA. And if you do, you HAVE to go in at least a couple of days early. It's at least a couple day city.

Hilton Riverside is nice and in a great location, next to RiverWalk close to the pier area, and a short walk to the French Quarter.

We stayed at Harrahs, which we also found a good location.

Then of course there's plenty of more "period hotels" in the French Quarter if you want more of that atmosphere.

Snoozeman October 6th, 2012 12:08 AM

Should...Should...Should:cool:

CruisinK n J October 6th, 2012 02:24 AM

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Mary Lou, so nice to see you posting here again! You were the first CruiseMate I met on my first CruiseMates cruise those many years ago.

I got a brochure today from a local agency, and that cruise was in it. Sounded like a good deal, and as the others have said, New Orleans is wonderful.

Bon Voyage to you and Gary!

Judy

Manuel October 6th, 2012 03:41 AM

Yes, you should take that cruise. :D

TM

Lisa October 6th, 2012 04:43 AM

Yes - cruising out of NOLA is an experience in and of itself. Winding your way down the Mississippi River to the Gulf is something you have to experience. And two days pre or post cruise is wonderful! You need to take this cruise!:D

MaryLou October 6th, 2012 06:35 AM

Thank you, everyone! It is so great hearing from all of you! I appreciate all of the positive feedback! I think we are going to do it. I was a little hesitant because the deal seems too good to be true and you know what they say about that!! I was also a little worried about sailing on a ship that old, but she is still getting great reviews.

Pootersdad October 6th, 2012 07:58 AM

New Orleans Cruise

We're booked out of NOLA for back-to-back-to-back cruises in January, 2013. We haven't been there since 1971 - do you suppose it's changed;)?

storybookcruises.com October 6th, 2012 12:14 PM

I agree with the others - do it!

As for the Navigator of the Seas, it ain't that old! Still a nice ship to sail on, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Pete

mehawk October 7th, 2012 08:30 AM

I have considered using New Orleans as a port but, whatever lower price is available there is offset by the cost of gasoline to get there from Houston. So, I will continue to use Galveston. Have fun while in NO!!!