Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Admiral

Default Beat Everyone To Thursday

Good morning Donna, Mike and all of our Cruisemate Family.

Guess who awakened at 0300 (That's three in the morning for all you civilians and Navy Vets)?

Supposed to be sunny with a high in the upper sixties today. Time will tell.

I presume MeHawk, that the HCSD has gone to twelve hour shifts as that seems to be the big thing these days. It's great for the public as it puts more uniforms on the street and it's amazing (to me at least), how quickly the troops adjust. I just wonder about how the long term stress for 12 hours as a law enforcement officer is going to pan out. You don't realize it at the time but it builds and builds and you don't have a clue as to what's happendin as it's something you can't feel. It's sorta' like the NFL players are just now finding out just what they've subjected their brains to after playing say a fifteen year career. While their's is physical, the other is far more dangerous as it effects hundres of thousans of law enforcement officers and although the numbers have really fallen over say the past ten years of copys "eating the barrel" while still on the job, it's really grown I think among those retired. It'll take probably two decades before they can have any long term analysis that's comprehensive so I hope I'm wrong.

The only "street work" I ever did was of what we consider the "blast" variety....i.e. aside from being an Instructor, John Wayning doors down in the city as part of the VFW (Violent Felony Warrant) division. that's extremely dangerous but everyone that does loves it, believe me, simply because it is so dangerous. I of course loved the fire power we had (i.e.: a Remington autoloading shotgun that had been modified to a twelve inch barrel and Packmyer pistol grips) if things were to get really bad. That my fellow cruismemates had the propensity of not being able to ruin just the bad guy's day but his whole damned year! Back then the standard issue weapon for law enforcement officers in New York was S&W 4" "bull" bareled .38 Special revolver. But many departments actually would allow (especially the NYPD) something that's long gone now, and that is carrying whatever you wanted as a back up.

I kid you not when in the early seventies and the Black Liberation Army (better known as the BLA) was gunning down "salt and pepper" (meaning Black and White) two man patrols (it's the way my Niece's husband was killed), carried unbelieveable firepower if they were in a sector squad car. I kid you not when I relate that one guy out of the 9th (precinct) carried in the back seat of his car, an autoloading military grenade launcher with 12 grenades!!! All patrol cops were afraid they might be next, and therein was the reason. You couldn't even dream of being able to do something like that today. Today, however, they now carry 40mm Glocks so they're happy although most still carry a "back-up" personally owned weapon that meets departmental specifications. Personally, I still like the grenade launcher!

Hope everyone has a GREAT Thursday!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; October 11th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Admiral

Morning Todd, you've been up since 3 a.m., I was awake till 3 a.m., who knows why? Just another one of "those nights"!

It is unseasonally mild here today, with a brilliant sunrise, should look nice later on all the fall-coloured trees. This is the view from the backyard of the school where I work, it is really brilliant now that more colours have popped!

I am off to aquafit this morning, the best pain reliever in the world. It really helps my hip and lower back! Todd, I wish you could join us for some relief from your back pain!

donna
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
A premium day here. Sunny,with a hint of chill. Just what you'd expect for an October day. Hard to believe Christmas in not that far off. Wasn't it just July 4th?

My Dr. tells me, I have a moderate amount of arthritis in both knees, so, I had my 1st cortesone shot yesterday. All I've ever heard is, how painful this shot was,and it was easy peasy. It's a bit stiff this morning, so I'm going to bring out the cane for today....

I have to drive to Wellesley with the woman who is knitting the scarves for our store..they are selling well...we had a special order,and she doesn't know how to get there, so I am off soon, then lunch...half a sandwich,and cabbage soup Sooooo good!

We still have lots of green here.Usually by next week, we are at peak...not this year...

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 11th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Good morning mates. It's very cloudy and misting here. It looks like it's going to pour any minute. I'm glad I don't have to get out today.

Trip, I had the shots in my shoulder years ago. I thought they were pretty easy, too.

Donna, nice pics, as usual.

Todd, I hope you get a nap in today.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Good morning mates
Itís good to be home. I had a wonderful time in Florida and I loved going to see some of the beaches. We took a ride and spent the day at Pier 60 in Clearwater, there was so much going on there from weddings, entertainment and vendors selling all sorts of things. We also visited Siesta Key, Sarasota & Tarpon Springs. However hands down Clearwater had the nicest water and sand!

The bathroom is coming along the guys are just about done with the tile so I believe they should be grouting today. I will be happy when itís done but now is when the fun shopping begins!
Have a great day!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Default Beat Everyone to Thursday

Good morning. It's raining, it's pouring, it's thundering! Actually, not much rain, but nice nonetheless.

It's a good day to stay in. Have a nice day, people.

Judy