CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Sad News Regarding A Past Cruisemate Contributor (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/392566-sad-news-regarding-past-cruisemate-contributor.html)

Mgram October 18th, 2012 10:22 PM

Sad News Regarding A Past Cruisemate Contributor

It is with a broken heart that I report that Andy Hopkins (Capt. Queeg), Pam Kane's widower, died this morning while playing golf.

Andy retired on October 1 and was looking forward to embarking Nov. 1 on "our cruise of a lifetime" on a Viking River Cruise to China with his new wife of 3 yrs., Frieda.

Needless to say, the Phlock has many fractured pink hearts tonight.

Luanne Russo October 18th, 2012 11:02 PM

That is so sad. I am glad to know that he had re-married.

My thoughts and prayers to his wife and family, and all those who loved him so.

Kuki October 18th, 2012 11:27 PM

Mgram... many thanks for coming to let us know.

I met Queeg just the once, and certainly we here at CruiseMates felt terrible when we and he lost Pam.

It's no doubt a most difficult time for his wife and all of you. Incredibly sad that he passed so soon after retirement, and the trip he and you were so excited to be taking.

My sincere sympathies to his widow Frieda and his family, and you, his close and loving friends who are left to mourn.

Cherish all your memories.

Trip October 18th, 2012 11:35 PM

So very sorry to hear of Queeg's passing. I hope your memories will bring you comfort in the days ahead.

Mgram October 19th, 2012 12:13 AM

Thanks everyone.....it just never gets easier to lose a dear friend.

Kuki, I was quoting Andy about his and Frieda's trip of a lifetime......just them! I wasn't very clear about that, sorry.....not hitting all cylinders tonight. I am not going anywhere....except the Caribbean.

rollerdonna October 19th, 2012 07:09 AM

Thanks Mgram for letting us know. I remember that name from way beofre me, and I remember getting Pam's book.
Thoughts go out to his widow Freida and family, so sad to lose another of our "family".

donna

ToddDH October 19th, 2012 08:32 AM

Although it was before my time on this site, I nevertheless send my heartfelt sympathies to his wife, family and friends. It's tough on us to lose anyone who was part of our family here on Cruisemates.

Donna October 19th, 2012 08:35 AM

Very sad to hear this news, and to just retire and plan the future with a new wife....thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

rayb October 19th, 2012 08:44 AM

sorry

I mourn the loss of Andy (Mr Queeq) as we called him. He was a very up and coming gentleman.

I remember well the first time we met. Helen and I had boarded an Airline in Minn. We were seated towards the front and there came Pam and Andy. She recoginized me from our Cruisemate lingo. We were heading for a Cruisemate Cruise in Hawaii. And from then on Andy and Pam were very good friends.

I pass on my condolences to his wife and Family. RIP.

Cruznut2 October 19th, 2012 10:24 AM

So sorry to hear this sad news. I remember him from my early days here in Cruise Mates. I extend my sympathies to his beloved family.

Laura

Paul B October 19th, 2012 10:51 AM

I really regret that I never met Pam and Andy. They were a wonderful couple.

dezertcruzer October 20th, 2012 01:07 AM

The Phlock's last cruise with Cap'n Andy on the Carnival Liberty in 2006 (?) will always be special for me. It was a cathartic gathering of the Phlock after losing Pamda, and, at least for me, laughing and crying with Andy helped to bring closure to the sorrow of her passing.

Andy was so funny, he was a joy to be around. I, like the rest of the Phlock, was so happy to see him find happiness again with Frieda. We were all following their plans for this upcoming trip to China. Now, just 17 days after retiring, he is gone. I am reminded once again to live life with joy, savoring each day as it comes, for there may not be a tomorrow.

RIP, Andy. May you find smooth sailing from here forward.

Lisa October 20th, 2012 02:51 AM

It has taken me awhile to be able to write anything. I am still in shock. He died at the 14th hole of a golf club. He died doing something he loved.

Andy always knew what to say and when to say it. Something he said to me on the Liberty cruise really helped me in dealing with a difficult situation. He was wise, funny, talented and always willing to help someone. He will be truly missed.

AR October 20th, 2012 11:20 AM

I'll always remember Pam and Andy best for when they came to a party at our house and spent the evening out on the deck with us and many of our other friends. We had a ball. And after a conversation with one of our friends, Andy said to me, "She's a shrink, isn't she?" Yes, she was, and still is. Very funny.

Pam and I talked occasionally, e-mailed a lot. Most of our e-mails in both directions would have been censored had we tried to post them here, but we sure had fun. We chided each other, kidded each other, solved the world's problems, argued, empathized and sympathized. We were both writers, of course, so it came naturally. I wish I still had them (they would probably fill a binder--oh, no, not a binder!). At one point Andy read some of them and said, "These aren't e-mails, they're salons." He was speaking in the classical sense of the word. I always remembered that.

I was touched when Pam asked me to do a first read of the manuscript for her book. I still have that, along with my wise-guy markups and her equally wise-guy responses to the markups. When the book came out I laughed that she had incorporated just about everything I had noted. By then, she was almost gone.

And now, Andy is too. I'm so sorry. They were both the best.

Thomas October 20th, 2012 06:00 PM

So sorry to hear this. I've never met either of them but back in the day Pam invited me to her house for Christmas dinner when she discovered I'd be in her hometown on business that holiday. It just shows how cordial they were. RIP Capt. Queeg.

Regards,
Thomas

balabusta October 20th, 2012 06:32 PM

Dear Mgram, I am so sorry to hear of your husband's passing. May you cherish the wonderful memories you have of him.

mehawk October 21st, 2012 07:44 AM

My sincere condolences to his family. We never know when it is our time to go and he was able to go out on his own terms it appears, doing a pleasurable past time. Rest in peace friend...