Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Movie Palaces of Days Gone By

This was the inside of the Oriental Theater in Mattapan MA, where I spent many a day watching double features,and a slew of cartoons.

This place was great...we had a twinkling sky, buddha's at the exits with green lit eyes Some of the rows had lights at the first seat, and oriental carpeting..

Tha rest rooms could have come out a Busby Berklee musical of the 30's...black laquer, huge urns and it was painted red...Sadly, it's now an electical warehouse. I wonder how much of the inside is still there.

Did you have a movie palace like we did?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Default Perot Theater in Texarkana TX

This is where I spent many of movie night or Saturday afternoon. I loved the balcony.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Admiral

My aunt and uncle used to treat me to the Orpheum in Minneapolis. But the local Cannon Theater in the small town where I grew up was where I spent Saturday afternoons watching MGM musicals and Abbott and Costello.

Judy
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Judy walk down memory lane...

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Detroit was full of gorgeous theaters. The Fox downtown has been renovated and is still beautiful, but all the neighborhood places were wonders, as well.

Live theater was at the Shubert - I saw Oklahoma with Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones there with Grandma, when I was quite young.

Detroit had amazing architecture and it's sad that a lot of it is gone.
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Even the little town of Pictou has a historical old theatre that has recently been brought back to life. this is what it looked like in the early '20's:

This past year it has seen a revitalization, and is being used as a venue for rock bands, open mike nights, kids' parties, large group bookings, craft shows, and even classes in yoga and Zumba and juijitsu. Nice to see it in working order again!

donna
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Trip, oh my, is that really the Orpheum in Minneapolis?

Thanks!

Judy
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Trip, My two favorites are the both in downtown Atlanta. One is the Fox. It was as a child, all red. I understand it is still there.

The other was the Lowe's Grand. Most beautiful place in the world. This was where the movie, "Gone With The Wind" premiered. Sadly it burned down in the 70's

Funny story now, but not to my mom when it happened. My mother's office was down and across the street from the Grand. When she heard the fire trucks, she looked out, and then called the man who took pictures for the firm, and he photographed it in the stages of burning down. When the film was developed, he gave the whole stack to her, to give to me. She didn't look at them, but just handed them off to me.

In the pictures was also a group of pixs of a roof top swimming pool. It was not just any pool, but the Playboy pool next door. This was the 70's, and fake boobs were just getting popular. One of the pictures is of a woman sunbathing without her top, and her boobs had fallen to each side of her body, still in the same form.

Now my mom probably never said the word Playboy, so this was a shock to me, but it turned into a joke between my brother and me. We never told her about the pixs, and I still have them somewhere up in the attic.

Maybe I should tell my son there are boobs in the attic. I'll bet he can find those pixs.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Luanne:

Old October 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Luanne. I lived in Atlanta for five years and remember the Fox well. There are some old movie theaters in downtown Los Angeles that have been restored. Haven't seen any of them. Must cost a fortune!

Judy
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Thanks Trip. Sure brings back memories.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 27th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Trip, Many a Saturday was spent in "The Melrose Theater" For .50 we could spend an entire afternoon watching a newsreel, 2 cartoons and two movies. That price also gave us popcorn and tonic.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 28th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Houston had many of these. There are some facades still visible but there is only one grand theatre still in use today... the River Oaks.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Admiral

I "collect" theatres, it's a passion of mine.

When I was 14 I broke in as a projectionist at a 700-seater near where I lived. Worked in that booth all through high school and college. It was (and still is) an old vaudeville house called the Darress. One of its claims to fame is that it was the place where Burns and Allen, whose act was bombing badly, decided to switch things around, give George the straight lines and Gracie the gags. The rest is history. I loved running the Saturday matinees there: 10 cartoons, a Stooge reel, and King Kong. Now that's show biz!

A few of the houses that are precious to me: The Detroit Fox, still a legend; Radio City Music Hall, the "Showplace of the Nation," and well beyond a legend--I've been backstage there many times, and in the booth as well; The Chicago; The Atlanta Fox, where a good friend who was the musical director and conductor for High School Musical invited us for opening night of the national tour; the Lido in Newport Beach CA, a medium-size house, and an absolute jewel, where the lobby woodwork is maintained by a local boatyard.

There are many many others in my collection, and I love them all. I rejoice each time one is saved, and I mourn each time one is torn down. No matter how many stadium seats they put in modern "cineboxes" in shopping malls, they'll never have the panache of even the most mediocre of the old houses.

I once wrote an article about my love for them in the magazine of the Theater Historical Society of America. If you pm me with an e-mail address I'll send you the manuscript.
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Admiral

I grew up going to the Oritani and Fox theaters in nearby Hackensack, New Jersey. Most of these old theaters were originally "Vaudville theaters" that were replaced with movies when the "talkies" came out in the late 1920's. I remember staring at the two balcony boxes, one on either side of the theater, where I would imagine that the very rich people in each community once sat.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Admiral

C-sis and I went to Saturday matinee at the Lorenzo. It was a beautiful old theater. This theater opened in April 5, 1947 it was around all through my youth and I saw many a movie here. Sadly this theater had been
vacant since 1982 and is in disrepair. Picture from http://www.savethelorenzo.org/about/...e_lorenzo.html This it a non profit group that was trying to save the theater and restore it. I don't know what happened with that effort.

Anthony Heinsbergen (1895-1981) did this mural.

This mural was made to really glow under black light. This picture below is the same mural.

The lobby.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Familiar Face

The town I grew up in had an old opera house, that was running for many years. Unfortunately it got shut down, and the town is desperately seeking someone to buy it to try and keep it open otherwise it will be demolished. I can't find any pictures of it online though.

If I remember correctly there is an entire website dedicated to old and abandoned movie theaters and malls, but I can't remember the links off-hand.
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Kat, your art deco palace is amazing! I am a big art deco fan.The boxes we watch movies in now, would make all these architects roll over in their graves

Old November 6th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Kat, your art deco palace is amazing! I am a big art deco fan.The boxes we watch movies in now, would make all these architects roll over in their graves
Exactly. Of course it's no accident that so many of the storied old houses were built in the art deco style, because so many came online from the very late 20s through the 30s, when art deco was all the rage. The other big fad was what was called the "atmospherics," championed by architect John Eberson among others, that featured the star ceilings, and exotic interiors in Oriental and Middle Eastern motifs. They're all wonderful.

Cineboxes will never come close. It's a tragedy.
Old November 6th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sort of like AR, my first job was in the movie business. Only I was an usher, while going to school.

This picture doesn't do the place justice. It sat 1500 patrons, and the interior was quite grand. I believe it opened in the 20s.

I think I saw Gone With the Wind several hundred times.
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Gone With the Wind?

Cripes that thing was torture. Had it a couple times on re-releases. 12 bloody reels, intermission after part 7.

When she said, "I'll never go hungry again," I used to say, "No but the audience will if they don't go to the lobby and get a friggin' Tootsie Roll."