Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:37 AM
Admiral

Default Friday and the recovery continues

Just saw an AP report wherein the residents of Staten Island are really starting to get upset. They say they're being treated like step children even though they were the hardest hit by the storm and surge of the five Boros. Although I'm sure they must be there, the people interviewed said they have seen no sign of the Red Cross, they have no gasoline and little if any public transit in a Boro that heavily relies upon the automobile more so than the other four. There is also major flooding all around the island. I think these feelings are being expressed even by those knowing that of course Manhattan must take precedence because after all, it is the center of commerce in this country.

Even one of the senior reporters on the Weather Channel alluded to the fact that people everywhere are running out of patience. Among other things, they don't have nearly the number of police officers that they need to prevent looting so relative to the importance or lack thereof vis-a-vis the thread on the Marathon, I don't think I'd mention that to a Staten Islander because that event alone requires a phenomenal number of police officers. To make matters even worse, it's supposed to turn much colder around the first part of next week. Thankfully, the Air Force is flying in a constant stream of power equipment and linemen in huge C-5-A Galaxies and C-17's from all over the country. I know our little county has sent linemen and trucks to impacted out of state areas so help is definitely growing. It boils down to can they beat the cold weather because if they don't, especially seniors I'm afraid will be freezing to death in their apartments and homes.

I think if any hero is going to arise out of all of this it will be Gov. Christie of New Jersey. When asked about the election he quite angrily responded that Tuesday is non existent on his "to do" list. Having talked with several friends in New Jersey, they are really proud and consider themselves very lucky to have such a committed leader who could care less about politics at this time. He makes it a point to truly be an advocate for all of the citizens of New Jersey and backs up those comments with direct action, always complimenting those who are trying their hardest to overcome this tragedy. His sincerety is obvious. He also is very good at "kicking butt" when people or a department don't live up to his standards.

I still haven't heard anything about cruises in and out of either New York or New Jersey and how the lines are addressing those problems. If anyone does, please share what you've heard, especially if you have an impending cruise originating and terminating from the Northeast.

Here's wishing everyone a marvelous TGIF and remember, at five o'clock this evening Mike M, it's party time!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:17 AM
Admiral

Morning Todd and all Mates to follow. I have to agree about the recovery and rebuild being so much more important than either the election or especially the marathon. Priorities people!

I have heard from "Cruwysie" my friend from Ontario who left last weekend from Cape Liberty on RCCL. She said they had over 30 foot waves by Monday, but it seemed the worst was over, the Captain having circumvented the worst of it. She did say that the Captain had not been able to contact RCCL head office and was still trying to find out about the state of the port they were returning to this weekend.
Does anybody know if Cape Liberty is still standing?
Wishing them and all other cruisers out there a safe journey home.

donna
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
Admiral

I just spoke with Adelaide. The people on Staten Island are absolutely furious that they're holding the Marathon which begins at the foot of the Verazzano Narrows Bridge just off Midland Beach where they are still finding bodies!!! On top of that the Road Runner's Club are using their big generators for the event while the elderly residents of Staten Island have no heat and no power. She also said that the Boro President said on the radio, "Do not contribute to the Red Cross!" and that they are starting a fund for Staten Island residents themselves! I can only presume that such a severe statement is a result of almost no assistance from the Red Cross on Staten Island where not only do they have horrific damage but also where over half of those thus far found dead in the city have been located. Virtually the entire Island's Atlantic shoreline lies in ruin or has literally disappeared, washed into the sea, not to mention that there was terrible flooding on the other side of the island. Staten Island has always been treated as a step child because the other boros have more voters.

I believe Staten Island also lost the most people on 9/11 as well but I'm not totally sure.

So if one knows anyone on Staten Island, they'd be wise not to even mention the Marathon. The people are literally stunned as to all the resources required to run the Marathon while they're not getting anywhere near the help they need. Hopefully, the Federal Government will step up to the plate but she said no one is holding their breath. For the first time, I heard desparation in her voice and with all the tragedy she has been through in her life, that just doesn't happen, so things must be very severe there, more so than even I thought.

Oh, I don't know about RCCL's dock but the Captain of the Explorer of the Seas lost contact with headquarters and the dock is located I think in Bayonne or else adjoining it and that entire area has no power so I've no idea what RCCL is going to do.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning Donna and Todd, and those to follow. I have been trying all morning to get on, but it wouldn't open up.

The news is so sad this morning. I hardly know what to say, except I continue to pray for these people.

Not much going on here, but I wish all a very good day.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Default Friday and the Recovery Continues

Good morning. Another overcast day here. We had a little sun in the afternoon.

Donna, the animal pictures were adorable.

Judy