CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   NYC Marathon Cancelled (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/392877-nyc-marathon-cancelled.html)

Trip November 2nd, 2012 05:40 PM

NYC Marathon Cancelled

They finally did it.

NYC Marathon Won't Be Held Sunday: Mayor | NBC New York

anniegb November 2nd, 2012 06:20 PM

I am glad CS prevailed.

Annie

Kuki November 2nd, 2012 06:30 PM

As I said in the other thread on the Marathon, I do believe they've made the right decision.

However, I honestly don't like the terminology "finally".

The storm took place Monday night, and even now I don't think they understand the total picture of the devastation, the ramifications, and what's its going to take to make the areas hit by the storm whole again.

In the cahos immediately following some decided it would be a good idea to help give NY a lift, by continuing with the scheduled marathon.

In the midst of that cahos they made the wrong decision. As they have seen more of the picture of what this crisis is going to call for, they've admitted their error, and cancelled.... which was the right decision.

Donna November 2nd, 2012 06:57 PM

I agree, they did make the right decision...As much as the extra income would help the city, they are just not ready for the people that live there, let alone all the added people. When the time is right, they can re-schedule it.

Trip November 2nd, 2012 08:06 PM

The fact that it was ever a consideration to hold the marathon at all, is ridiculous. And not for one minute do I believe they didn't know about the immediate destruction, to the outer boroughs which in itself, is horrendous, and yet when reports of just how bad the complete destruction was, the mayor continued to to "run" with it...and yes...finally!

ship2shore November 2nd, 2012 08:22 PM

But are they going to deploy the marathon-related assets to the stricken areas???
(Tons of food, bottled water, police services, first-aid stations and personnel, and sanitation teams designated for the marathon)

Trip November 2nd, 2012 08:29 PM

That would really be another mistep, if they didn't distribute what they have in plain site of people suffering. I watched the news tonight,and some places were jacking up hotel prices, some to 90%, and some were evicting vivtims from the hotel rooms, earlier in the day before the cancellation, so the runners could utilize the reservations they had made.

digitcamera November 3rd, 2012 06:46 AM

I think they made the right decision, and a wise one at that. Considering the amount of devastation the area has faced, and will continue to face in the days, weeks, and months ahead, now is hardly the time for a marathon. It can either be re-scheduled, or simply cancelled and wait until next year.

mehawk November 3rd, 2012 07:32 AM

The people of the Gulf States coastlines have been hit with storms often in their lifetimes. We do feel the pain and dispair of our friends in the northeast and I do agree that the assets should be put to use to help the downtrodden right now.

green_rd November 3rd, 2012 09:45 AM

They generated a lot of negative publicity when they announced the marathon would go on. I do feel sorry for the runners who had prepared for this - many of the slots are filled by lottery so you don't just sign up and go. However, their loss can't be measured against those who lost homes and are protecting their remaining business assets.

I often wonder about economic impact numbers. I don't think they take into account opportunity costs. How many people avoid spending that would have otherwise. For example, I did not eat out the week we hosted the Super Bowl because we expected every place to be crawling with people (or so we were told.)