Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Default How not to lose power: CRUISE!

We left for a cruise on October 26. That's no so long ago, because Oct 26 posts are still on page one of the Chit-Chat string menu. And if it hadn't been for the hurricane and Henry's run-in with the constabulary, there would have been almost none.

But I digress. I booked a six-day Bermuda cruise on RCL out of Baltimore on a lark, mostly to celebrate Terry's birthday and to get out of Dodge for a few days.

We drove over to Balmer, got on the ship and were told almost immediately that we weren't going to Bermuda because it was too dangerous. Where would we go? Nobody knew. But anybody who wanted to get off could have a full refund (I understand this was later changed to full credit toward a future cruise). 800 souls beat feet for the gangway, leaving a very "unfull" ship to brave the storm. Naturally, we'd never miss an adventure like this, so we stayed.

Once we sailed, the desk called and said we were welcome to move to a junior suite since we're Diamond. "Just come down and pick up new keys." So of course we did. We were also given a credit for not going to Bermuda, plus a refund of the Bermuda taxes and fees. On top of that was a room credit from the agent, and on such a short cruise we ended up with a credit balance on our folio when all the dust settled--despite all the wine booze, and the nice steak dinner in the specialty restaurant on birthday night. That's certainly never happened before.

The first night we sailed down to the mouth of the Chesapeake, then in the morning headed out to sea. A little choppy but no big deal. But after about 50 miles the captain got on the horn and said, "no bloody way, the progs are just too frightening." So we went back to the Chesapeake, anchored in protected water there, and watched the storm go by for two days. It was VERY interesting. It was like watching a movie of a storm, because we never rocked or rolled. It was like we were tied up at the dock. And since we were on the lee side of the ship, believe it or not our balcony was perfectly comfortable much of the time. The captain kept playing out anchor chain (he told us the water went up fully 9 feet where we were anchored), and kept the ship headed into the wind. It was amazing.

Plus, we had full cell phone service since we were close enough to land for the towers to see us. And, of course we had all the amenities of the ship. . .the food, the booze, the activities. And they kept finding excuses to throw champagne parties of one kind and another. One of the staff mentioned that with all the people who had left, the staff/passenger levels were more like Silversea than RCL. They couldn't have been nicer.

Once the storm passed the captain said we'd pull up the hook and head out to sea again because he needed to "make water," so to speak. Apparently the plant doesn't like to use bay water as a starting point. Or you have to be under way. Or something. So we buzzed around in the Atlantic until it was time to come home. We made port back in Baltimore Thursday morning, drove home and found out that the house was fine. The power had been out for 24 hours, but that was it. Where we were the power never went out at all.

The folio credit hit our credit card yesterday.

The "throwaway cruise" turned out to be one for the books!!
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks for sharing your expierence, you'll never get another cruise like this one...I am not sure what I would of done, but glad it turned out all good for you...A lot of us, wonder what exactly happens when the weather prevents ships from going where they were scheduled to do, glad you returned home safe and sound and the home was OK, even without power for a day. Welcome back.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Wow...what an adventure at sea...surely not to be duplicated any time soon. You two were some of the lucky ones. The passengers who left, hopefully will hear of the good times you had.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 4th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Captain

What ship was this?

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
What ship was this?
Enchantment of the Seas
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It sounds like fun, So glad that everything was okay at your house.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Admiral

I would have enjoyed being on that cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Wow, what an adventure AR, glad all went well and you were spared the worst of the storm.
Thanks for sharing your story, a lot of us were wondering about cruises out in the storm!

donna
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Thanks for the report. Sometimes the adventure cruises are the most memorable.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Awesome

AR You make me jealous of a sort. I wished I was on the Enchanment with you. I love he rough seas and have had man\y.

Now for me for this past week. As you all know I am alone for the last 3 weeks. So I stuffed a few stuffs ub a bag or 2 and went over to the east coast for a visit with my son and family. I loved Ping most. He is their smart Yorkie. I loved him and he loved me.

So I stayed with them for 3 days then we packed up and started up the motorhome and motered up to Jetty Park. The park, if you don't know is along the jetty which leads all ships out to sea. The weather was wonderful. No clouds plenty of sunshine. We watched the fishermen on the long thingee leading out to sea. I had my scooter going and we made it all.

Then also we watched the CRUISE ships come and go out. That was most beautiful. Those we saw were Carnival Imagination and Estasey. Then we viewed the RCL Monarch of the seas. That being the largest of the group. Then we were fortunate to view a ship I did not know exist. That was AIDAplum. She was a German ship and we watched many passengers come by going and coming to the Beautiful Beach . The ship was docked right next to the park making if easy for them to walk to swim.

So I had 6 days of not being alone. Oh yes my daughter Denise, who lives with me decided to visit western NY for 3 weeks. That made me lonely.

I feel so sad for all those in the path of Sandy. He came close to us but was out to sea for about 190 miles. We had high surf and beach erosions but the winds were virually calm.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!