Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Admiral

Default I'm lucky I saw Tuesday

Actually, I'm blessed I saw Saturday's dawn. Despite what at least one poster would love to find and that is that I finally succeeded in killing myself, I'm still around, all I can say is, "Maybe you'll get lucky next time so keep the chips on the table."

About last Wednesday I started feeling rather chilly and marked it down to the onset of winter and the fact I'm getting older. On Thursday I was even colder and put an extra blanket before getting into bed that evening. The next morning I was still very chilly and wore a heavier jacket when I went to the grocery. By the time I got home, I deduced I was coming down with something as I was getting really down right cold. So before I did anything other than put the refrigerated and frozens stuff away I got under the covers clothes and all and just kept getting colder.

The phone rang and it was my late wife Fran and my "Adopted Daughter" who called and said she was coming over for a visit. I told her to come ahead but as I wasn't feeling well, to let herself in with her key and I was in the back bedroom. She arrived and by that time I was shaking so hard I was literally shaking the bed. Bill Haley would have been proud.

She walked into the bedroom, took one look at me and said, "Oh my GOD!" before immediately picking up the phone and calling 9-1-1. I asked her why she was going that and she said, "Uncle Todd, you're actually purple!!!"

The first to arrive was a deputy who is also an EMT whom we both know. Rex took one look and said the ambulance was right behind him. I told him I always refused to go in that da#%@&r orange box but this time I thought I would. He said, "You don't have a choice this time buddy!" When the ambulance arrived he told the two man crew to ride up front and he would leave his cruiser in the front yard and be in the back with me and then said, "Let's get him out of here, NOW, Haul Ass!!!" Through the chattering of my teeth I said, "Bad, huh?" He replied, "You're completely Cyanotic!" That meant, I was getting no oxygen in my blood. They slapped me into the orange box and he immediately put a mask on my faceand turned the O2 way up. Through the mask I said, "I presume either God or Fran wants me to move!" It was easy to mimic that closing line for the cartoon when I said, "Sssssso long folks, it's been a hell of a ride!" I was at the hospital ER in about six minutes!

I told the ER Physician when he said, "We have to fly you to Johnson City right now if I can get you stabilized because we don't have an on call Cardiologist after four on the weekend." Knowing I'd never make it I told the guy whom I know well, "You haven't killed me yet and if you do it this time, hell, I'll never know it as I've died four times, so the ball's in your park."

I was always thinking I had world class pneumonia but it turned out it was much worse. I was in the final stages of CHF which is how I'm leaving when I do leave. The ICD could do nothing about that except go into what they call an "electrical storm" which means it would go off endlessly until I died.

Long story short, the ER Physician finally got me at least to the point they could transfer me to ICU and to the Hospitalist, who himself looked scared
to death, I said to him what I basically said previously to the young physcian in the ER, "Well Faycal, I don't personally know any Indian Physician whose killed anyone yet and look at it this way, with everyone whose tried, you might win the prize!"

I am going to get it from Jeff when I see him on Tuesday and I'm just going to tell him, "Look son, number one I thought I had pneumonia, number two I personally felt I wouldn't last a flight and as you're living in surgery anyway, you were undoubtedly in the middle of something, and even if you had wanted to, there wasn't time for you to get down to Greeneville so sit down and don't sulk. And don't worry, you're still number one!"

Thing is, I was home in two and a half days. They wanted to keep me two days after all the time I was in ICU and when I asked why, Faycal replied he wanted to make sure. I told him I'd do better at home, that he'd done a yeoman's job even though I'm sure the result screwed up somebody's day and said that one of my favorite phrases was made famous by Mad Magazine (of which he would have known nothing) when Alfred P. Neuman would say, "What, me worry?" the end result is that I'm unbelieveably weak and I don't have time for that so I'll just have to push a little bit to return to some semblance of normalcy.

My mantra, at least when it comes to yours truly, is that I can't take crepe hangers. To the one who childlessly makes it a definite point to anonymously put "Like" next to everyone's posts except mine regardless of writer or subject, I'm telling you to hang in there, for some day you're definitely going to get lucky......that is unless you walk in front of a Freightliner! So be sure and look both ways in crossing the street!

Now it's time for the pause that refreshes, a Lortab 'cause my back is giving me fits from spending three and a half days in bed!

Love and TGIF to all and yeah, that sincerely means "Like" as well simply because some day you'll understand that life is indeed too short to be petty.

TDH
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; November 13th, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone.

Todd: It sounds like you had an exciting weekend. I hope that your recovery continues and you pay attention to what your body tells you. I'm happy they were able to get you stabilized.

Last night we had the kids and grandkids stopped over and we gave them oxtail gravy over mashed potatoes. It is good but what surprised me is how much my skinny little granddaughter ate. She cleaned it up.

Today is just a routine day with no activities planned other than the daily stuff.

I hope everyone has a great day and a fun rest of the week.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Admiral

Todd!!! (getting on soapbox here) Get to the doctor in the future!! Fran has reached out to you so honor her by keeping yourself healthy!! No one can do this but you. (Off box) I am glad she sent vibes to your "adopted daughter" to get you back to health. You are spared for a reason. The reason may not be readily visible but be patient as it will be revealed by God. Please take care of yourself.

Speaking of chilly, it is that here again. I travel to the college to interview for the job I have applied for. I feel confident.

Mike, it is wonderful to have a rerun on the kids again as grandchildren.

Have a great day cruisemates!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Admiral

Good Lord Todd, you've gone and done it again! Back from the dead once again, and I for one, am very happy to see you posting this morning. I so miss your sense of humour when you're not around...you hang in there and take care of yourself!

I've gotta skeedaddle, it is aquafitness morning and I haven't even had breakfast yet!
Have a good Tuesday all - it looks like another wonderful weather day here, sunny and warm, not at all like November!

donna
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Admiral

Good morning from Sunny Florida

First of all, Todd God bless you and may He give strenght to get well.

The weather here is gorgeous. It's warm enough to be comfortable and not too hot.

I wish you all a nice day.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from a chilly Texas. We went from 80's to 34 almost over night. I woke up and found Jim on the couch with Bella. They had a blanket, and the only thing showing of Bella was her nose. She came out long enough to say good morning, and then disappeared again.

Yesterday I made soup. It has 6 different kinds of beans in it, plus many other veggies. I also used my moms cast iron frying pan to make corn bread. Jim was glad to have it after a day of sitting in a stand in the cold.

I need to get the yard ready for winter. It is something I should have done weeks ago, but because of the summer like weather, I kept putting it off.

Todd, Love you much

mike, your soup sounds good.

Mike, Good luck on the job interview.

Have a good day all

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow Todd,
That was way too close, so glad you are on the mend, hope your back is feeling better. Take it easy and get well again.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
From the absolutely most perfect fall day yesterday to a showery chilly day today...!

Bruce went back to work today, after an up & down short recovery. I know he's feeling better because he is talking about food shoppping for the holiday. This supermarket junkie needs his fix!!

Ok, now for you Mr Todd...What the heck is going on??? With your history, you need to pick up that bloody phone and call for help, as soon as you feel/know something isn't right!! Alarms should be going off, ding ding ding! Don't make us come down there and slap you now! Get one if those I've fallen & I can't get up things to have close by!

Lucy will be here soon, and we shall go through the Toys R Us catalogue with a pink magic marker, so she can check what she wants for Christmas! Lottsa pink spots I imagine.

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Damn !! all I got to do this weekend was paint the hallway. Though oddly enough I think I'll take that option over your weekend any day.

Glad to hear that you are doing well again now. Keep on fighting Todd.

Love from Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Todd ,my friend ,you need to stay well.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default exact words

I talked to Todd yesterday and he told me, word for word, exactly what he has written today. So buddy i know you enough now to say "get the -ell out of your stubenness and do what you suppose to".

I don't wont to travel north because I hate cold weather. But if I have too I will get going and shake my finger at you. I hate to travel except to get to a port to board a ship.

Now for me -its warm but the coolness is on the way. Went to our church saftball game last night. Yeh we won in 4 innings 29 to 2. Thats a wipe out they say. Had fun.

Still got a pain in the neck and expect to take it to my grave. I hate having to turn my body to look right or left. Heck what the the -ell "what you expect at my age"

See you all on the funny page. Hope I did not offend anyone.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:09 AM
First Mate

Oh Todd, you must take care of yourself!! Of course, I am one to talk! I spent Saturday night/Sunday early in the ER of our local hospital. I had lower right groin pain that sent fears through me. I could not breathe or move when the pain hit. And it increased in occurrances. So, off I went to make sure it was not appendix, hernia, ovarian cysts or a few other items. Just loved the tests the medical field has come up with to check for these items!!!!!Ended up being muscular and I felt totally ridiculous!

Then, we also have Bruce just out of surgery and returning to work already! Glad he is up to it!

So glad to hear from Lakers' Fan and CQ and sounds like things are improving (if only slightly) for them. Glad it was only property damage for them and not human damage!

Hope all have a good day, today!
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Todd, so sorry to hear about yet another health crisis ordeal. But, happy to hear you bounced back well enough to return home. You do need to heed the warning signs earlier. Anything that feels like pneumonia is a red flag for people with CHF, and should be taken seriously.

A beautiful morning and day shaping up in Scottsdale, AZ. Had a couple of cool evenings; yesterday there was a half hour frost delay at the golf course.

Heading out for a golf game shortly, and expecting a day of temps in the low 80s. Wonderful!

Dinner out tonight with some friends from Chicago who've also come to town to snowbird.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Default I'm Lucky I Saw Tuesday

Good morning. Looks like a beauty today with temp in the 80's.

Todd, I can only add to what the other have said: glad you're still with us, and take better heed.

No particular plans today except a derm appt. this afternoon. Today is meatball soup day at Norm's!

Judy
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Hey Todd--

Know something? I've been spending waaaay too much time screwing around with the Open Debate board the last few days. I just clicked over here, saw your post, and realized that as interested as I am in all that political crap, I'm way more interested in you taking care of yourself.

Do what they tell you. Don't be a hero. And hang in there.

Meanwhile, I'll stay away from the debate board.
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hamia.....glad to know it was not as serious as you thought....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 13th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Thanks a lot AR, I so appreciate your sentiments as well as everyone posted above. As I tell everyone I know, we are a family and just as most families often find themselves at some stage, a somewhat dysfunctional one. But we're family and I truly mean it when I say I love you ALL!

And Haima, I echo Trip's as well as regards your situation. Nevertheless, pain is pain whether the injury is serious or not. As one who is now required to live on Lortabs, I so appreciate how miserable it can be and I hope you're progressing in conquering the pain by the minute as opposed to by the hour or day!
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Todd - please please please!!!!!!! With your medical history, the MINUTE you feel ill or off.......call someone and get yourself to the hospital!!!!! Don't wait for two days! Do NOT make me get in my car and drive from Wisconsin to Arkansas to make sure you take care of yourself!
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Admiral

Lisa,

You're precious! But if you ever wish to visit or kick my butt you'd best check where I live before you leave. I'm over 500 miles from the Arkansas border as live in GreenEville, TN about 65 miles north east of Knoxville! I live where some folks still make the absolute best pain killer known to the human race and it sure as hell ain't meth! Meth users couldn't even begin to handle it. Hint, it's 120 proof and crystal clear! If I didn't have to take Lortabs I'd get me a Mason Jar full today! It also has medicinal properties as it'll kill every germ from the Plague up! Of course it not careful, it can kill the patient as well but what the hell, you'd at least be making a promotional exit!!!!
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Thanks Trip and Todd. And, Todd, the Lortabs can be a pain (not physical) to take as they seem to zone me out and I can hardly stay awake! Really did nothing for two days while I was taking them.

What is strange, though, is I have not had pain since Monday morning. If it was muscular, I would expect the pain to slowly go away. But this just disappeared. So I wonder if it was truly muscular?

Todd, please take care of yourself and, if you won't do a medical alert thing in your house; please have a neighbor or two call or stop in to check on you DAILY!
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Lisa,

You're precious! But if you ever wish to visit or kick my butt you'd best check where I live before you leave. I'm over 500 miles from the Arkansas border as live in GreenEville, TN about 65 miles north east of Knoxville! I live where some folks still make the absolute best pain killer known to the human race and it sure as hell ain't meth! Meth users couldn't even begin to handle it. Hint, it's 120 proof and crystal clear! If I didn't have to take Lortabs I'd get me a Mason Jar full today! It also has medicinal properties as it'll kill every germ from the Plague up! Of course it not careful, it can kill the patient as well but what the hell, you'd at least be making a promotional exit!!!!
Todd, I don't know why the heck I thought you were in Arkansas.......but I know how to get to Tenessee too! And it will be a shorter drive!

Ahhhh....moonshine!!! It'll kill ya, but you wouldn't care!
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Familiar Face

Wao what a thought you have. i like it. Yeah you are Lucky!