CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Your home state/city (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/393297-your-home-state-city.html)

Lakers Fan November 27th, 2012 10:52 AM

Your home state/city

If you were asked to give one recommendation for a visitor about the state or city you live in what would it be ?

For me it would be Museum Row in Garden City ,NY . An aviation museum ,a science museum and a history museum .

Aerogirl November 27th, 2012 11:52 AM

Downtown Chicago, the museums & Navy Pier. Really most of downtown Chicago is something to see.

Trackypup November 27th, 2012 12:35 PM

Stanley Park Seawall

green_rd November 27th, 2012 12:55 PM

Depends who they are but our Children's Museum is a real gem and it keeps getting larger.

Chuck Palm November 27th, 2012 01:47 PM

Here in Patzcuaro, Mexico I highly recommend a drive around the 27 mile long lake, stopping at every artisan pueblito (village) and ending the day with a boat ride out to the island of Janitzio, hiking to the top and spiralling up the monument to see all of the beautiful oil and acrylic murals inside the walls of the huge statue of Don Vasco de Quiroga.:mrgreen:

belgique November 27th, 2012 11:46 PM

Harbor Springs, Michigan: Beautiful resort town with the deepest fresh water harbor in the States. Sailing, power boating, kayaking, championship golf courses, fine skiing, and million dollar sunsets.

Neighboring town of Petoskey - a quaint, historic, beautiful Victorian town with fabulous shops, restaurants, Indian museum, beaches.

Of course, dinner at Stafford's Pier Restaurant where I am a manager, overlooking the harbor. Fabulous food and atmosphere, great bar with entertainment.

Michigan is a water/winter wonderland!

Lisa November 29th, 2012 02:26 AM

OK - in no particular order" The Milwaukee County Zoo (one of the country's best), Miller Park for a baseball game during the season, The Milwaukee Art Museum - not particularly inside, but looking at it around noon on a day when the wind is light as the "Briese Soleil" opens up - it looks like a sailing ships main sails being opened - this is locally known as "The Calatrava", the Lake Michigan lake front, playing golf at nearby Kohler, Wi at either Blackwolf Run or Whistling Straits.

Phil&Liz December 1st, 2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers Fan (Post 1456544)
If you were asked to give one recommendation for a visitor about the state or city you live in what would it be ?

Houston, Texas. It gets real hot here between June - September.

ToddDH December 1st, 2012 09:30 PM

Greeneville, Tennessee is not only the former Capitol of the State of Franklin but has been rated as one of the top 100 small towns in the US in which to live.

Marsdude December 2nd, 2012 09:30 AM

My closest city of any size is Fort Collins, CO.

Of course there are many outdoor activities - too many to list.

So, I will recommend a tour of the New Belgium Brewery.

http://www.newbelgium.com/LegalPurch...fvisit-us.aspx

I brew myself and I have toured many breweries. This is hands-down the best brewery tour I have ever been on. It is very popular, so popular that you have to make reservations online to be able to take one.

Lakers Fan December 2nd, 2012 02:12 PM

Houston

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil&Liz (Post 1456976)
Houston, Texas. It gets real hot here between June - September.

I have been to Houston several times between June and September and never experienced hot weather .The weather was perfect for outdoor activities.

Donna December 2nd, 2012 06:01 PM

WE also have some nice zoo's here in Chicago, either Brookfield or Lincoln Park...The Musium of Science and Industry is also a good see, along with the Art Institute...

balabusta December 2nd, 2012 07:17 PM

There are several cities that I have enjoyed visiting but the top one on my list has to be London. Who could ever forget seeing the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, seeing the crown jewels, going to Westminster Abbey, going to the theater district, shopping at Harrods and having a fine dinner at Cunninghams. A close second would be Vancouver; one of the most beautiful cities in the world with the mountains gazing above the water, going to "old town" Vancouver, spending a day at Stanley Park and and shopping in many of the great stores there!

canuckity December 2nd, 2012 07:48 PM

Ottawa, Ontario....In winter time I would suggest a nighttime skate on the Rideau Canal followed by a cup of hot chocolate and a 'Beavertail'. In summer see the 'Changing of the Guard' on Parliament Hill and then visit the Byward Market for lunch in one of the many fine restaurants.

Lakers Fan December 3rd, 2012 08:18 AM

I love Ontario .I've been to Toronto ,Ottawa ,Cornwall,Kingston ,London and practically every other city .