Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Cool Caribbean Princess Review of Sailing 11/24/12 Vol 1

Prologue and Day 1

Things went disturbingly smoothly flying from Philly to Ft Lauderdale with the exception of pulling the infusion set for my insulin pump out when I removed my belt at security which was my bad, not TSA’s. Other than that, all transportation was on time and wonders of wonders our baggage was waiting when we arrived at baggage claim at FLL (not something I have come to expect from US Airways). We proceeded to Alamo in a very crowded shuttle bus to get our rental car. Long line to get car but moved reasonably well. We then proceeded to our hotel, the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port Hotel. Booked it with frequent guest points so I can’t gripe, but the room furnishings were very basic and dated. Too tired from traveling we ate dinner in the hotel which was good and not too terribly overpriced, however the Mai Tai set me back $13.
The morning of the cruise we stopped at a nearby Publix supermarket for essentials such as wine and soda and proceeded to Port Everglades to drop our luggage off. The guard at the gate had all the charm of a rabid pit bull. Due to construction there is a detour and the signage is bad, the sign pointing to Pier 2 is only visible to those who have already passed the turnoff and have looped around and returned. Rental return and the shuttle ride back to port were painless. Please note that only Alamo and National has a free shuttle to port, all other car rental companies you are on your own.
We arrived at Pier 2 to board the Caribbean Princess about 11:15 am. As usual boarding is a gigantic cattle call; however, it was handled well. We were given colored cards with numbers and were boarded in that order. After the traditional boarding photo we embarked just before noon. Our BB balcony is Baja 756, rear facing. We emptied our carry-on luggage and headed to the Horizon Court for lunch. The selection was the usual but prepared well. It was not crowded.
We then went to the various venues on the ship for the treasure hunt drawing and toured the spa, which is extremely expensive.
As we are sailing at 4 pm we had muster at 3:15 pm. The Grand Princess was the first out of port followed by us. The Liberty of the Seas followed us leaving the Oasis of the Seas and the Eurodam to bring up the rear.
Dinner in the Island Dining Room was very good. I had prime rib and my wife had the seafood mac and cheese. The Island is the only option for anytime dining until 7pm when early fixed seating ends.
We were too tired after a busy day to party until the wee hours. On our way to Princess Cays!

Oasis of the Seas docked at Port Everglades

Leaving Port Everglades

Liberty of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Looking forward to the full review - we would have been neighbors, we will be in B753 in Feb.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Ahhh Doug, that was great, and I look forward to the next installment. The Caribbean Princess is my favourite ship, and I have sailed her twice, would love to do it again!

donna
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Admiral

Default CB swap - please !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
The Caribbean Princess is my favourite ship, and I have sailed her twice, would love to do it again!

donna
Tee Hee Hee Donna, you will have to come over to the UK to find her, the ship (and Grand) are both loved over here, we might just keep them next time. I could offer you a couple of similar builds from the P&O fleet in excahnge, which for some reason just don't work I can't decide what P&O are doing wrong but the Princess setup is way better.

If you want to exchange ships, please forward me one very large envelope with a lot of postage stamps

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Admiral

Hi Doug, glad to hear it's going well even with the diversion & pump issues. Looking forward to hearing more about your time on board - hope it's as good as we've come to expect from CB.

Am loving the photo's as well.

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey