Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Snobs on cruises

I don't know what it is - this may be why I really dislike traveling alone as a guy, since most people don't really care to have extended conversations with single guys, I listen a lot.

Man - there are some real snobby people on this cruise. Some they think every thought they have needs to be spoken out loud as if we care.

Next, their tone is so condescending. Like when I said something about bigger cruise ships that may be a little obvious this lady replied with a phrase I hate.... "Ya think?"

Not a question, Like the adult version of saying "nnnn, duh".

Then a lady remarked on the ice on trees and said (out loud to the whole bus) "have you ever read the book "Snow Queen?" - I was right behind her so I said, "we'll I once worked on a theatrical production of it."

Her reply, "No, That's not good enough, you have to have read it,"

Hhmmm.... really?

This same lady walked out of a german WC where the poor lady working there was taking a cigaarette break outside. She walks past her and shouts out to us (20 feet away) "Jesus Christ! do they have to smoke right by the door to the restroom?"

Ummm.... using the lord's name in vain is also pretty unattractive, especially in highly Catholic Europe, but somehow I am guessing this lady wouldn't know it.

This usually does not happen and 99% of the people are very sweet, but some people on this trip are just "Ugly Americans" - sorry to say.
Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Admiral

No surprises, I'm afraid. We find some of them on every cruise.

I posted a note that during Sandy our cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda turned into a cruise to nowhere because it was too dangerous out in the Atlantic. Before we left Baltimore we were told of the situation, and people were invited to leave if they cared to (with full credit on their fares). 800 left and a roughly similar number stayed.

Shortly after we departed the desk called and invited us to move to a mini-suite because (God knows) they had plenty of rooms, and we're Diamond, etc. So I went downstairs to pick up new keys. In front of me in line at the desk was an older couple and the woman was complaining beyond belief (and using language like the lady at Paul's restroom) about our not going to Bermuda. It wasn't "isn't it a shame we can't go?" It was more like "how dare they destroy our vacation!"

I couldn't resist. I mentioned that anyone who wanted to could have disembarked back in Baltimore and it seemed to me like she missed a golden opportunity. And I said that the time for complaining about that particular situation had now passed. She shut up instantly. Her husband seemed relieved. I think I did him a favor.

Another one I loved was once on a tender a man boarded and sat next to us. A minute later what turned out to be his wife got on and sat a few seats away. She then saw him and said, "Saul! Come over here! You don't have to sit next to strange people!"

I knew we were odd, but I didn't know we were strange.
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Admiral

There are people like this on every cruise. I try to ignore them.
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Snobs pack their obnoxious attitudes wherever they travel....Boorish,loud,and thinking everybody is waiting with bated breath, on what little gem, they will share with their minions....I would be thinking of a great retort, before I left their presence at the end of the cruise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I just got back from back-to-back cruises on Liberty Of The Seas. I went solo and was expecting to be "a listener" as Paul said, but was very fortunate to find some people who were also doing B2B and we hit it off nicely and spent a few hours each day just having cocktails and talking. However I also encountered a few loudmouths - sadly but not unexpectedly they were upper tier loyalty members.
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Default Snobs really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I don't know what it is - this may be why I really dislike traveling alone as a guy, since most people don't really care to have extended conversations with single guys, I listen a lot.

Man - there are some real snobby people on this cruise. Some they think every thought they have needs to be spoken out loud as if we care.

Next, their tone is so condescending. Like when I said something about bigger cruise ships that may be a little obvious this lady replied with a phrase I hate.... "Ya think?"

Not a question, Like the adult version of saying "nnnn, duh".

Then a lady remarked on the ice on trees and said (out loud to the whole bus) "have you ever read the book "Snow Queen?" - I was right behind her so I said, "we'll I once worked on a theatrical production of it."

Her reply, "No, That's not good enough, you have to have read it,"

Hhmmm.... really?

This same lady walked out of a german WC where the poor lady working there was taking a cigaarette break outside. She walks past her and shouts out to us (20 feet away) "Jesus Christ! do they have to smoke right by the door to the restroom?"

Ummm.... using the lord's name in vain is also pretty unattractive, especially in highly Catholic Europe, but somehow I am guessing this lady wouldn't know it.

This usually does not happen and 99% of the people are very sweet, but some people on this trip are just "Ugly Americans" - sorry to say.
I love these stories

Paul, you must have enough anecdotes to publish a book of them.

Enjoy

Annie
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Unfortunately, these kinds of people are everywhere, we see them on a day to day basis, and all you can do is hold your breath and either respond nicely or not at all....When you are on a cruise, it is a smaller atmosphere, so I think we notice it more....

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Admiral

I have to love A.R.'s remark about knowing they were odd, but didn't know they were strange !! That gave me a needed laugh!
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Captain

Talking Snobs

We have been on 40+ cruises, and our greatest fear on each and every cruise is that we will be seated with the "tablemates from Hell" at dinner. Fortunately, it has only happened two or three times, and the last time was our recently completed Jewel OTS cruise from Boston to Tampa.

The first night, we were seated with two other couples. One couple was pleasant enough, but the other couple were so full of themselves we expected them to explode at any moment. The guy started off by saying that this was their 18th cruise, and "we expect we will get the prize for having the most cruises". This happened to be our 43rd cruise, but we just sat there and smiled.

Then the guy and his wife started yammering about all the interesting ports they had visited, and I don't think either one of them took a breath for about 3 minutes.

Well, one night was enough. The next night, and all remaining nights, we were at a table right next to them. They glared at us for the remainder of the cruise.

I'm reminded of the quote "better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot, than to open it and remove all doubt".
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Admiral

I met a couple last week who were seated at the 'hell' table. They said the annoying people were in their 80s and apparently all of their wealth came from the wife, and she spent every night sniping at her husband about his 'spending her money', how he 'dragged me along on this cruise using my money', etc. The man I met actually bought a funny facemask in Cozumel that he whipped out and donned at the table, in hopes of at least getting Mr. and Mrs. Hell to smile. Didn't work. I have no idea why they stayed at that table.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Whenever Rob and I book a cruise, we always request to be seated at a table for eight or ten people at dinner time. Usually, most of the people are friendly. I find, that when people travel, they tend to be more relaxed and try to put their "best foot forward" when meeting other people. People, that are most comfortable "in their own skin" tend to be the nicest people. It is those that are "insecure" that tend to be snobby, they feel the need to "boost themselves up" in the eyes of other people.
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Admiral

I make it a point not to volunteer anything beyond my name at first meeting at the meal but to wait to be asked. That way, it is open season.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Admiral

The "table from hell" problem is why for a long time we've always booked tables for just the size of our party (more often than not we cruise with family or friends). Now, it's even better because we choose the anytime dining option, and are especially happy with the lines that encourage that option or, like Oceania, make it the norm. That way, when you meet people around the ship you enjoy, it's easy to say, "Let's have dinner."

And if we're cruising alone, we're perfectly happy with a table for two. We've been married for 43 years, but we still have plenty to talk about. But the fact is that we always meet fun people to hang out with, whether it's at dinner or elsewhere on the ship.
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Gosh AR, we agree!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm glad to see you all understand what I am saying - because it isn't so much that they are like 'criminals". It is just that they have a way of saying things that sounds so self-centered.

I heard this same lady say about cruise ships. "I won't take any cruise ship over 600 people" - so I asked her what lines she liked.

"we'll we haven't been on a cruise since the 1970s" Oh, she left that part out. So, I asked her "have you ever heard of Royal Viking?" ---"Yes" she says. So I tell her "I used to work on their ships" -

No response to that, because it wasn't about her, she just says "Oh" (pause) Yeah, 600, that's our limit."
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Admiral

We usually stick to the table for two. And honestly are getting a bit tired of being around whiney people. Our next three vacations are land trips which is highly unusual.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have to make the comment that I have seen a larger than normal number of the "Ugly Cruisers" on board this sailing of the Millenium. There is a large contingent of German, British, Australian and Asian cruisers and I have to say that they can be downright rude. The buffet can be a free for all with people barging in.

I had one German lady comment that she hated Ho Chi Minh City. I just said that my wife and I had a very nice time. Her response was: "You are American and know nothing about travel." I just rolled my eyes at her and laughed.

It's sad when people are this rude and obnoxious.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Okay a couple of tablemates from hell stories for ya. On my 2003 trip on the Star Princess we had my choice dining. We were seated at a table with a couple that told us how much they paid for their room and now nice it was to have a mini suite and on and on. It was boring, crass, and snobby. Thank goodness we had my choice dining because we only sat with them that one night.

But my real tablemates from hell was on Celebrity infinity. It was a table for 6 but only 4 of us were at the table. The lady complained about my hubby's American Flag tie as if he was doing something wrong by wearing it.

Then the same lady on a different night tried to engage me in a political conversation about the declining dollar. George Bush was president at the time and it was clear she wanted me to talk bad about him. She didn't get her wish. Instead I spoke of the Chinese Yuan, at the time it was tied to the US dollar and not floated. So I went into detail about the global effects for the delincing dollar and how the Chinese had an artificial unfair advantage in the global economy because their Yuan didn't reflect their economic growth. She looked confused. The waitress came to take our order right just as I was explaining the import and export impacts. Oddly enough after the waitress left she changed the topic. I let her, and winked at my smirking hubby. She didn't try to engage me in political discussion again. To bad I had a whole thing to say about the Russian Goverment and what happened with Yukos.

Hey did that make me a snob? I was purposely talking over her head to get her to back off. I don't normally do that. So I guess for that moment I was the finanical cruise snob.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Hey Kat---

No, the fact that you one-up a snob doesn't make you one, because you know exactly what you are doing and why.

In fact your flag tie story reminds me of my tie story.

Once on Celebrity we had a table from hell couple. . .well, actually just the guy. He started ragging me about my tie, which was child's drawing with smiling stick figures and sunbursts. "What's the matter, can't you afford a grownup tie?" he asked.

My answer:

"Sure, but this one's special. It was given to the men at a charity dinner we attended for St. Jude's Hospital a few months ago. The design was done by a child with cancer who is hoping for better days ahead. We have a son who contracted cancer and who was cured at another wonderful hospital, Sloan Kettering in New York, to which we also contribute. This tie reminds me of kids who need help and the wonderful people who give it."

Silence. Cut-it-with-a-knife silence. New table the next night. If that made me a snob, I'm good with it.

Last edited by AR; December 19th, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Hey Kat---

No, the fact that you one-up a snob doesn't make you one, because you know exactly what you are doing and why.

In fact your flag tie story reminds me of my tie story.

Once on Celebrity we had a table from hell couple. . .well, actually just the guy. He started ragging me about my tie, which was child's drawing with smiling stick figures and sunbursts. "What's the matter, can't you afford a grownup tie?" he asked.

My answer:

"Sure, but this one's special. It was given to the men at a charity dinner we attended for St. Jude's Hospital a few months ago. The design was done by a child with cancer who is hoping for better days ahead. We have a son who contracted cancer and who was cured at another wonderful hospital, Sloan Kettering in New York, to which we also contribute. This tie reminds me of kids who need help and the wonderful people who give it."

Silence. Cut-it-with-a-knife silence. New table the next night. If that made me a snob, I'm good with it.
That is an excellent story. The your tie sounds like fun, plus it has the deeper meaning. My hubby as a Smiley face tie and that one is a good way for tell what type of tablemates we have. If they smile and enjoy the tie they are fun loving people. But if they are so concerned with a tie (unless it has naked women or something offensive) then they are snobs. Honestly they should just be happy you wore a tie to the dining room instead of Jeans and a t-shirt.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
"What's the matter, can't you afford a grownup tie?" he asked.
What an incredibly rude comment.

That reminds me of my bro-in-law telling us that when we were on an older Oceania ship a guy got on the elevator with him and said directly to him "nice shirt, too bad you don't have any taste."

It was just a generic tropical-style shirt from Costco, which I think half the passenger contingent was wearing.

I once had a dinner table with a family on Celebrity. The mother was the meanest, most demeaning person I ever met. Apparently she knew her waiter personally (because he called her by name), and she would send back everything she got, usually with a comment like "It tastes like rubber."

What I did not realize, however (and I am still mad about this) is that I was leading a CruiseMates group on that cruise and we had only met one night. I admit, I am not great at names & faces and that one night was not enough for me to really remember everyone at the table. Plus, it was a table for eight, and the next day a couple came to me and said "we were just told we have to move to a different table, but we didn't ask for it." I didn't realize they were MY table mates, I didn't recognize them. They must have been at the other end. I said "I'm sorry about that, but I would tell the maitre D' you don't want to move." They said "we did that, but they told us we have no choice."

Now, I had NO idea they were my table mates, I didn't recognize them. Or else I certainly would have contacted the Maitre D' myself.

I never expected Celebrity to put people NOT in my group at my table (this was my first time leading a group of any size), anyway, apparently this woman was very regular with Celebrity and she insisted that was "her table" and she was going to sit there. No one contacted me to say a word - even though I was the group leader.

The next night all of my group members were gone and this lady was put at my table with her five family members (with me and my wife). I assumed they had chosen to move, so I didn't say anything.

I also assumed they were also with our group, so I endured her. It wasn't until the last night that I finally figured out (after I actually tried to have a conversation with this unbearable snob) that she had no idea who I was, and that Celebrity had taken my group members away from my table. Man, I was mad, but it was too late to do anything.

I really felt sorry about the people who had been at my table and tried to tell me they had been forced to move, but I couldn't find them to apologize because no one knew who they were. I felt like an idiot (but as I said, it was my first group, and I was too distracted that first night to get everyone's name).
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Paul all I have to say is wow I mean like wow what a pain that lady is. I bet Celebrity wishes she wasn't a regular customer. I hate it when people feel they have special rights to act like a jerk just because they cruise the same line each time. I have cruise Carnival lot, but that doesn't mean I have my own table in the dining room. I don't understand why Celebrity didn't move your whole group instead of leaving you at the table with the woman and moving the rest of the group. That's just strange. But weren't you glad to discover she had no idea about your group or Cruisemates we wouldn't want her on these boards anyway.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994