Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Default Global Look at Mass Shootings

As many know, I've lived in Mexico now for 2.5 years. I've lived through a time when Mexico has been getting very bad press about most unfortunate violant acts.

The United states has experienced 12 mass shootings in 2012 and the problem seems to be increasing rather than waining. I would venture to say that many in the world might be questioning the wisdom of travel to the U.S., given that the U.S. has more mass shootings than any other country in the world.

We can only hope that some fruitful conversations occur to stem this continued violence before there are international travel warnings about travel to the United States.
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Its time for the elected officials to get off their derrieres and do something .
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Palm View Post
The United states has experienced 12 mass shootings in 2012 and the problem seems to be increasing rather than waining. I would venture to say that many in the world might be questioning the wisdom of travel to the U.S., given that the U.S. has more mass shootings than any other country in the world.
Chuck, don't know accuracy of your last statement. This article talks of at least four in one week in Mexico:

Family murdered in central Mexico, three children among the dead | Reuters

I am trying to get annual statirstic for Mexico. Of course, Norway had the worst event in simple numbers of deaths at one time.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14

Last edited by Marc; December 15th, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It is still one of the wonderful places to live in the world. I have lived out of the country many times, and it gave me great pleasure to come back to my home country.

Many years ago, a German man asked me if our streets were really paved with gold. Just like then, people around the world are getting the wrong impression that we are a lawless country, filled with uncaring people, and it's simply not true.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Admiral

This horrendous tragedy was indeed, among the worst school shootings in history. It was not, however, the worst school tragedy as a result of terroristic acts, which includes one about which your average American has probably never even heard.

That occurred in Bath Township Michigan in 1927 wherein a disgruntled school Board member took at the least, several weeks to months to surreptitiously wire the entire school with Dynamite and another explosive.

The bomb was detonated by a timing device when the school was in session. Emergency responders were arriving when the bomber pulled up in his car that was packed with shrapnel and a case of dynamite and detonated that as well killing among others, the school superintendent.

When the carnage ended, 38 students and 8 adults were dead. If there is a saving grace in the story, it is that a lot of the explosives wired throughout the basement of the school failed to detonate and only one section of the school actually blew up. Had all of the explosive detonated the results would have been far far worse.

As many have alluded, we obviously have failed to learn that there is unspeakable evil everywhere, even in our own country and it doesn't just have to be by shooting. I think the above referenced incident and the Murrah Federal Building bombing in Oklahoma City in 1998 underscores that fact.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Admiral

From my side of the pond, we are still in shock and so very sad.

What continues to baffle us why do so many people carry guns or feel the need to carry guns. I will never get my head round it.

Condolences

Annie
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Default global looks at mass shootings

I don't think government can do anything about this. The guy was mentally unbalanced. A school mate said he had no friends. If anyone is/was to blame, the boy's mother should have seen that he wasn't socializing well. She should have gotten help for him long ago. He needed a father, too.

Judy