Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Question Upcoming CM Cruise???

I was wondering if there's any talk of a upcoming CM cruise for 2013.
It's something I would love to be part...anyone know anything?

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

So far, the only one I am seeing is the Princess group cruise on Royal Princess for next Oct...It is a long one, 18 days, but here is a link to the info:

CM group cruise on Royal Princess

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Thanks Donna. I will have to sit this one out....way too long to be gone from home without my boys and by now I think everyone knows their not cruising....ever!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:21 PM
Admiral

I too am interested in a CM cruise .Kelly Kayden said she would not let anyone throw me overboard
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:32 PM
Admiral

My crazysis loved the CM cruises after her first one 2008. But her finances won't strech to 18 days.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I had a wonderful time on the CM cruise on the Carnival Glory. It seems lately that they never have 7 day cruises to choose from. I cruise single so a long cruise is out of the question for me. I would love to see CM do something shorter.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Admiral

It's a sad situation Laura. It seems to me that like lots of other things here, the CM cruise is targeted toward a select few, instead of us,,,the masses. We too, have had wonderful times aboard CM cruises in the past, (ie: Century!) and would like to do it all again, but I don't want to do an 18 day cruise. (The lovely Mrs. Jones would probably go for that one!) I'll keep watching, and perhaps there'll be a CM Cruise in our future.

"SKY"
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I'll keep watching, and perhaps there'll be a CM Cruise in our future.

"SKY"
Sounds like a plan. Nice to see you posting.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

One of the problems is that cruise lines are pulling group space earlier than they used to. Especially on popular sailings like the Caribbean. It's hard for the agents to hold the space for more than 30 days before the cruise line pulls it back.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
It's a sad situation Laura. It seems to me that like lots of other things here, the CM cruise is targeted toward a select few, instead of us,,,the masses.

"SKY"
Sky... sorry, but that is a super load of Yak drool. Over the years we've put together way more seven day cruises than longer ones, and ALL our group cruises have been meant for EVERYONE.

March 2012 we had a group on the NCL Epic out of Florida (with Chef Matt from Hell's Kitchen 4). We also had a version in 2011. We've had a CM group out of Galvestion in the last couple of New Years, as well as a couple of the Carnival "Blogger's Cruises". We've had a group on Allure of the Seas from Florida, that we had to cancel because no one was booking.

The majority of the seven day cruises we've done have resulted in smaller groups; like last years Epic where it was under 30 people.

With the history, since we began CM groups, we learned the cruises which were 10 days or longers, simply were considerably more popular (resulting in larger groups) than the wk. long cruises.

Part of the problem is the cruise lines group policies have made it more difficult, with rules, where they begin to take back unsold cabins within 30 days of establishing the group etc.

With logistics of a "site cruise", we do need longer to build a group for a specific sailing.

Another part of the problem is it seems a lot of cruisemates want the ship to "pick them up at their door".

When asking people what they might want to do as a CM group cruise, people tend to say they want them done on cruises on which they are already booked ; or everyone wants to choos a specific date... the only problem, the dates are usually all different
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Sky... sorry, but that is a super load of Yak drool. Over the years we've put together way more seven day cruises than longer ones, and ALL our group cruises have been meant for EVERYONE.

March 2012 we had a group on the NCL Epic out of Florida (with Chef Matt from Hell's Kitchen 4). We also had a version in 2011. We've had a CM group out of Galvestion in the last couple of New Years, as well as a couple of the Carnival "Blogger's Cruises". We've had a group on Allure of the Seas from Florida, that we had to cancel because no one was booking.

The majority of the seven day cruises we've done have resulted in smaller groups; like last years Epic where it was under 30 people.

With the history, since we began CM groups, we learned the cruises which were 10 days or longers, simply were considerably more popular (resulting in larger groups) than the wk. long cruises.

Part of the problem is the cruise lines group policies have made it more difficult, with rules, where they begin to take back unsold cabins within 30 days of establishing the group etc.

With logistics of a "site cruise", we do need longer to build a group for a specific sailing.

Another part of the problem is it seems a lot of cruisemates want the ship to "pick them up at their door".

When asking people what they might want to do as a CM group cruise, people tend to say they want them done on cruises on which they are already booked ; or everyone wants to choos a specific date... the only problem, the dates are usually all different
I think a CM cruise on December 7,2013 on Carnival Liberty would be nice......That's what I'm already booked on!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I think a CM cruise on December 7,2013 on Carnival Liberty would be nice......That's what I'm already booked on!

Where does this cruise sail from and where does it go ?
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:

O.K. Moose Man. Just how many seven day cruises are currently in the works to be CruiseMates Cruises? Uh huh....just what I thought. NONE! Most of us PO FOLKS out here can't afford to fly to Venice, Italy, and leave our homes, work, family etc., for eighteen days. Just ain't gonna happen. On the other hand, if you offered, or suggested, or whatever, a nice seven to ten day cruise, out of a port in the U.S., I'd bet a lot of folks would jump on it. Give it a thought......

"SKY"
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
Where does this cruise sail from and where does it go ?
Port is Miami
Half moon Cay
Sea Day
ST Thomas
Puerto Rico
Grand Turks
Sea Day
Miami
Are you going to join us??
Everyone is welcome!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Ken, I have to agree. An 18 day cruise to Europe plus air and hotel is absolutely out of the question for me. I travel single and the supplement alone is killer. Not to mention hotels and air 2 ways. Sure I would love to sail from Port Canaveral or Tampa but I would be willing to do most any Florida port. Tampa is getting boring. Both of Carnival's ships there do the same ports. I do not understand why the Legend cannot rotate east and west like Dream does from Port Canaveral.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 15th, 2013, 06:57 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
I too am interested in a CM cruise .Kelly Kayden said she would not let anyone throw me overboard
Thats right and i'm pretty tough!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Admiral

I know you are true to your word ,KK .
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
See now you got the date right but the cruise ship is wrong. That would be Carnival Miracle. Of course that's a 15 day cruise, so I guess that won't work after all.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Come on everyone should book this 7 day cruise on Liberty!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
One of the problems is that cruise lines are pulling group space earlier than they used to. Especially on popular sailings like the Caribbean. It's hard for the agents to hold the space for more than 30 days before the cruise line pulls it back.

Take care,
Mike
Mike I well understand that the cruise lines are getting tighter with space. I have run into this several times.One line in particular is a pain about this. On the other hand the CM groups usually fill up fast enough to meet the requirements.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old January 15th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Admiral

We'd love to do a CM cruise from Houston or Galveston. It's too expensive for airfare and cruise $$$ for us to cruise from Florida for just 7 days. The airfare is SO expensive! If we can drive to Texas we can afford more cruise day's !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Default Upcoming CM Cruise??

Fern, my thoughts exactly! Apparently CM likes about six months to gather a group. Would people accept a ten-day cruise? That would help justify the air fare.

Could
a good travel agent make a deal with a cruise line, preferably not Carnival, to hold a certain number of cabins for six months? Also, could CM, when they announce the new cruise on the site, tell people how long the agent can hold the cabins?

Judy

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Actually, the best type of group cruise is a TA. They can be as short as 12 days, less expensive per day than Caribbean and airfare oneway. Airfare from say choiceair from just about anywhere in the US to the popular Euro ports will be $450 to $650. Add the airfare to the TA cruise price and it will not be anymore than the Caribbean. As an example, I have a 15 day balcony TA booked for 11/1/13 on the new Reflection for $1199 + $575 air +$450 OBC. That's a group rate, but that's what a group rate should be.

What makes the TA a good choice is the group activities with the CM posters that you have been corresponding with for so long. Groups always have slot pulls, cabin crawls, sailaway and wine tasting parties, grab bags and many more social get-to-gethers. Also there will be a few port stops in historical Euro cities, much different than the carib.

For those who cruise alone, you have been corresponding w/others on this site long enough where sharing a cabin with another single you may not have met but know from sharing discussions will benefit both.

O F C'er
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Captain

On my last cruise, the Group Meetup was a disaster. Everyone was completely blind stinking drunk, and this was BEFORE sailaway. I ended up avoiding everyone in the green t-shirts the whole cruise. Gave my shirt to a kid on St. Maarten.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
On my last cruise, the Group Meetup was a disaster. Everyone was completely blind stinking drunk, and this was BEFORE sailaway. I ended up avoiding everyone in the green t-shirts the whole cruise. Gave my shirt to a kid on St. Maarten.
That definitely is not the norm. You must have gone on a inexpensive short cruise during spring break. But, I know what you did if one of those drunks bothered you on the elevator.

O F C'er
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
We'd love to do a CM cruise from Houston or Galveston. It's too expensive for airfare and cruise $$$ for us to cruise from Florida for just 7 days. The airfare is SO expensive! If we can drive to Texas we can afford more cruise day's !
Within the past few years we've had two groups out of Galveston. One that Trip hosted, and one that Snoozeman hosted. I don't recall the exact numbers, but if I recall, both were around 20- 30 people.

Part of the problem in picking group cruises is that some people want the "ship to pick em up at home" - by that I mean, like you, they want to cruise out of the port closest to them (whether that is New York, Florida, Texas, or whatever.

Then others like Judy, who don't want to cruise certain lines, or only want to cruise certain lines.

Don't get me wrong... very understandable, and normal approaches. They are all just factors that affect the process of choosing group cruises.

Also, to address Judy, the cruise lines won't just agree to give you six months. They have made groups more difficult, not less. They used to guarantee pricing, now unless it's something like Carnival's "early saver rates" they don't even do that.

Some large agencies sometimes will actually buy the cabins in order to hold them longer.

It is just a fact that it takes longer to "build" a group on the Internet. Other "affinity groups" like music cruises, etc. build a bit quicker.

When travel agents were allowed to discount pricing, it was pretty easy to get group space and offer considerable discounts.

All of that said, I am going to try and set up a seven day group cruise, for fall or early winter 2013... since you folks are expressing interest.

Then, we'll hope you jump in to participate.
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Question

Quote:
Within the past few years we've had two groups out of Galveston. One that Trip hosted, and one that Snoozeman hosted. I don't recall the exact numbers, but if I recall, both were around 20- 30 people.

Part of the problem in picking group cruises is that some people want the "ship to pick em up at home" - by that I mean, like you, they want to cruise out of the port closest to them (whether that is New York, Florida, Texas, or whatever.

Then others like Judy, who don't want to cruise certain lines, or only want to cruise certain lines.

Don't get me wrong... very understandable, and normal approaches. They are all just factors that affect the process of choosing group cruises.

Also, to address Judy, the cruise lines won't just agree to give you six months. They have made groups more difficult, not less. They used to guarantee pricing, now unless it's something like Carnival's "early saver rates" they don't even do that.

Some large agencies sometimes will actually buy the cabins in order to hold them longer.

It is just a fact that it takes longer to "build" a group on the Internet. Other "affinity groups" like music cruises, etc. build a bit quicker.

When travel agents were allowed to discount pricing, it was pretty easy to get group space and offer considerable discounts.

All of that said, I am going to try and set up a seven day group cruise, for fall or early winter 2013... since you folks are expressing interest.

Then, we'll hope you jump in to participate.

Kuki any chance of making the cruise I'm on a CM cruise? I'm already booked for Dec 7,2013 and would of held off booking it if I had known that there was the possibility of one in the making...That's why I started this thread in the first place to see if just maybe we could do it. If not oh well and I'll be interested in seeing who on here that wants to do it really books.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Suggest spring or summer 2013. You have a fall planned on Royal Princess on Oct 9, 2013. I have 3 booked now. March 16, Oct 9 and Nov 9.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old January 17th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow Ray,
You are stacked nicely....WTG!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Admiral

I agree with Skymaster, many of us, myself included, cannot afford to take long amounts of time off work and/or fly to Europe for cruises, it is hard enough affording airfare to Florida! 7 days is all I can afford, and maybe a stretch to 10 days to make the airfare worth it. I've managed only 1 CM cruise in 10 years, but would love to do another, there's so many people I want to meet, and to see again!

donna