CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   French fries (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/394229-french-fries.html)

Luanne Russo January 19th, 2013 08:30 PM

French fries

I was watching a show tonight, and for a snack, they were eating fries, with brown gravy, and cheese curds.

I love fries, but eat them either plan, or with ketchup. I was wondering if you like fries, what do you put on them, and do you eat less, since the heath craze begin.

CruisinK n J January 19th, 2013 08:38 PM

French Fries

Sometimes I eat them plain, sometimes with catsup. Shouldn't eat 'em at all, along with a long list of other things, but well, you know . . .;)

Judy

Trip January 19th, 2013 08:50 PM

Luanne that is French Canadian Poutine. I use mostly ketchup, but malt vinegar & grey poupon too. See below...the ad took up the space..lol

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zvzFMG5537...00/poutine.jpg

Aerogirl January 19th, 2013 09:46 PM

I like mine crispy with ketchup. I have seen people use brown gravy, ranch dressing & BQ sauce.

Manuel January 19th, 2013 10:38 PM

I like mine plain.

TM

green_rd January 19th, 2013 11:54 PM

Chili cheese fries - what a mess but oh so tasty

Luanne Russo January 20th, 2013 12:11 AM

Thank you Trip. That looks like what I saw.

All of you have some good ideas for eating them. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Cruznut2 January 20th, 2013 02:40 AM

I do not often eat french fries but when I do I usually have them plain. Rarely I would put ketchup on them.
Trip, I had not thought of vinegar on them in years. I remember going to fairs and seeing the spray bottles with vinegar to spray on them. Once in a while I used them.
Laura

ToddDH January 20th, 2013 03:12 AM

In certain parts of the Northeast, it is traditional to put brown gravy on French Fries. It has a name but I forgot what it is.

As for the vinegar, it's a malt vinegar especially for Fried fish but people ended up also putting that on French Fries

BTW, everyone always alludes to commercial hamburger from nationally known Hamburger chains as being a little better that horsemeat. Nothing could be further from the truth. The beef that goes into McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, et al., would probably cost you twice as much at your local supermarket (if they could even get the recipe). The reason for this is simple; it's known as competition.

One area where they really slipped was McDonald's fish sandwich. The fish in all major chains used to be Cod fish and I think it was Arthur Treacher's who first really promoted malted vinegar to put on the fish (a British tradition). I used to love McDonald's fish sandwiches but when I recently had one I threw half away. You see at one point in the sixties and early 70's McDonald's was the largest buyer of cod fish in the world and McDonald's cold no longer afford it. Yet believe it or not, back then Cod Fish was really looked down upon by the average American so Ray Krock insisted his restaurants bill it as "North Atlantic White Fish." Well we now know how America suddenly fell in love with cod and it got so expensive that you actually now get what is true "North Atlantic White Fish" a change that occurred many years ago and is a fish considered along the lines of carp by much of the American population. Now it's up there in cost with Cod but has viturally no flavor and what flavor it does have I compare with carp! Go figure!

Donna January 20th, 2013 06:32 AM

I like the lightly salted and with ketchup...Now, I absolutely love the cheese fries they serve at Outback Steak.....

Surfguyxxx1 January 20th, 2013 07:06 AM

Mostly with ketchup but about once a year, I need a gravy fix. I learned this years ago when I went to college in Denver, CO. Good stuff!

mehawk January 20th, 2013 07:36 AM

I usually stay away from fried foods but when I get weak and want fries.... it depends on where I get them at. Burger King has the best IMO and I eat them with ketsup (yep, a different spelling), Whataburger's are too greasy, but my favorite are the ones served at Fuddruckers'. I put hot, melted cheese on them with ketsup. YUMMY!!! At Sonic, it is tater tots please.

Marsdude January 20th, 2013 08:56 AM

I usually would like a baked potato rather than fries - but chili cheese fries are wonderful...

...and now Wendys sells them! :shock:

Luanne Russo January 20th, 2013 09:17 AM

In Germany they serve them with Mayo. I lived there over 10 years, but never dipped in Mayo. Yuk!!!:D

rollerdonna January 20th, 2013 09:22 AM

Poutine! (pronounced Poo-Tin) That's what you saw! Staple diet of all Quebecers. Looks disgusting, but is actually quite good if it's made right.
Personally I prefer my fries plain with ketchup, or if they're really good greasy fries from la Belle Province, or Lafleur's, then just salt and vinegar. Can't get decent fries here in Nova Scotia...

donna

Marsdude January 20th, 2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luanne Russo (Post 1461956)
In Germany they serve them with Mayo. I lived there over 10 years, but never dipped in Mayo. Yuk!!!:D

I sometimes mix mayo and ketchup 50/50 for fries. It sounds yuck but it is really good.

Ranch dressing on burritos instead of sour cream is also really good.

katlady January 20th, 2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1461936)
Chili cheese fries - what a mess but oh so tasty

Smart man. I totally agree.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_W-pG7tUmJk...e_fries_02.jpg
I'm also a fan of garlic fries.:mrgreen:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2513/...4ba078f2_o.jpg
Okay now I'm hungry.;) I eat less of these because I'm fighting the battle of the bulge, the bulge is winning.:cry: These fries like to stick around years after I haven't eaten them.:x

katlady January 20th, 2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1461941)
In certain parts of the Northeast, it is traditional to put brown gravy on French Fries. It has a name but I forgot what it is.

As for the vinegar, it's a malt vinegar especially for Fried fish but people ended up also putting that on French Fries

BTW, everyone always alludes to commercial hamburger from nationally known Hamburger chains as being a little better that horsemeat. Nothing could be further from the truth. The beef that goes into McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, et al., would probably cost you twice as much at your local supermarket (if they could even get the recipe). The reason for this is simple; it's known as competition.

One area where they really slipped was McDonald's fish sandwich. The fish in all major chains used to be Cod fish and I think it was Arthur Treacher's who first really promoted malted vinegar to put on the fish (a British tradition). I used to love McDonald's fish sandwiches but when I recently had one I threw half away. You see at one point in the sixties and early 70's McDonald's was the largest buyer of cod fish in the world and McDonald's cold no longer afford it. Yet believe it or not, back then Cod Fish was really looked down upon by the average American so Ray Krock insisted his restaurants bill it as "North Atlantic White Fish." Well we now know how America suddenly fell in love with cod and it got so expensive that you actually now get what is true "North Atlantic White Fish" a change that occurred many years ago and is a fish considered along the lines of carp by much of the American population. Now it's up there in cost with Cod but has viturally no flavor and what flavor it does have I compare with carp! Go figure!

That is why In N Out burger in California has done so well. The hamburger meat is good quality and has never been frozen. plus there fries are made with fresh potatoes not frozen. In N out has a 'secret menu' you can order Animal Style Fries. These fries are topped with a mass of melted cheese, the grilled onions, and Thousand Island dressing.

http://badmouth.net/wp-content/uploa...tyle_Fries.jpg

Lakers Fan January 20th, 2013 04:58 PM

I like mine plain or with ketchup .Tomorrow we are going to dinner at a restaurant that specializes in french fries .

Donna January 20th, 2013 06:44 PM

Wow, never have tried garlic fries, they look very yummy...

Aerogirl January 20th, 2013 07:03 PM

Ok so when I'm in California next month I will try In & Our Burger as well as Pinks and see how the fries are.;) I'll get back to ya!

Marsdude January 21st, 2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1461989)
That is why In N Out burger in California has done so well. The hamburger meat is good quality and has never been frozen. plus there fries are made with fresh potatoes not frozen. In N out has a 'secret menu' you can order Animal Style Fries. These fries are topped with a mass of melted cheese, the grilled onions, and Thousand Island dressing.

http://badmouth.net/wp-content/uploa...tyle_Fries.jpg

LOL! What do they call this dish "Emergency Room?" ;)

katlady January 21st, 2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsdude (Post 1462060)
LOL! What do they call this dish "Emergency Room?" ;)

Defibrillator Doozy.
But if you think that is bad. I live it that town that invented the cheese skirt for hamburgers. How's this for heart attack on a bun. Those Onion rings look good don't they.
http://sacbynight.com/wp-content/upl...squeezeinn.jpg
http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...1YQ42STw/l.jpg

Deni January 21st, 2013 10:32 AM

I love extra crispy tator tots with salsa!

fries with tabasco and ranch dressing

Deni

Lakers Fan January 21st, 2013 11:26 AM

In and Out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1462024)
Ok so when I'm in California next month I will try In & Our Burger as well as Pinks and see how the fries are.;) I'll get back to ya!

I highly recommend In and Out french fries in Riverside ,CA .

Trip January 21st, 2013 11:55 AM

Kat,those buns look like brains on the cheese.!

LS80 January 21st, 2013 01:29 PM

Crispy fries with malt vinegar.........mayo & catsup half & half is also very good on fries..........

Most of the time tho I just like 'em plain............

Sharon

Moiraine January 21st, 2013 01:46 PM

Heinz 57 Sauce.

teddymouse January 21st, 2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsdude (Post 1461972)
I sometimes mix mayo and ketchup 50/50 for fries. It sounds yuck but it is really good.

Ranch dressing on burritos instead of sour cream is also really good.

Mayo and ketchup 50/50 is a sauce used on sea food here in the UK.
Chippy buttys a great way to eat your chips or as you call them french fries.
Chips and gravy. Chips and curry sauce.yummy, putting weight on just thinking about them.

green_rd January 22nd, 2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deni (Post 1462072)
I love extra crispy tator tots with salsa!

fries with tabasco and ranch dressing

Deni

Love me some tots. There is a kosher hot dog place here in town and at the IND airport that servers tots instead of fries. If I am flying anytime around lunch or dinner I'm heading to King David's first.