Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I'm a female and room has it we are subject to mood swings. But now I'm back to my Delightful self.
Ron the rum punch was wonderful.
I think that you really are allways delightful.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:27 PM
Admiral

There's something I wish someone could and would verify or explain to me and that's the thing about " onion sandwiches ." ( honestly ! )
I was raised in southeastern Ky. which is not noted for being one of the most prosperous places in the country. We weren't rich by anyone's standards, we grew a lot of food in our garden, usually had plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to eat. Mom canned food for winter, made blackberry cobbler, peach cobbler, apple pies, etc in the winter from the food she had canned in the summer and fall so we ate pretty well.
We grew onions which were used in cooking but never in my life had I ever heard of an onion sandwich until this Triumph " tragedy. "
How did this onion sandwich thing get started and were these poor people reduced down to where they only had bread and onions, with the Coast Guard standing by to render aid and with 2 other Carnival ships sending food aboard the Triumph? I guess I'm asking how much truth, if any, is in the onion sandwich tales and if so, how can it be? As a kid raised in the country this is something entirely unheard of by me. Maybe I missed out on something growing up by not eating onion sandwiches.
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
There's something I wish someone could and would verify or explain to me and that's the thing about " onion sandwiches ." ( honestly ! )
I was raised in southeastern Ky. which is not noted for being one of the most prosperous places in the country. We weren't rich by anyone's standards, we grew a lot of food in our garden, usually had plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to eat. Mom canned food for winter, made blackberry cobbler, peach cobbler, apple pies, etc in the winter from the food she had canned in the summer and fall so we ate pretty well.
We grew onions which were used in cooking but never in my life had I ever heard of an onion sandwich until this Triumph " tragedy. "
How did this onion sandwich thing get started and were these poor people reduced down to where they only had bread and onions, with the Coast Guard standing by to render aid and with 2 other Carnival ships sending food aboard the Triumph? I guess I'm asking how much truth, if any, is in the onion sandwich tales and if so, how can it be? As a kid raised in the country this is something entirely unheard of by me. Maybe I missed out on something growing up by not eating onion sandwiches.
What happened was that a large number of sandwiches were made. People would take the "stuff" out of one sandwich and add it to theirs and leave the onions or tomato in the sandwich they gutted. The people at the end of line had to eat the "onion" sandwich.

Actually a sweet onion sandwich isn't bad. I like them but my wife can't stand it and won't let me near her for about twelve hours after I eat one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Thank you Mike. That's what I figured had happened. I saw where people who were at the front of the line would take all the food they could carry--small boxes of cereal, load up with all the fruit they could carry off, etc.
So, I pretty much figured that by the time some folks got to where the food was supposed to have been, there was basically scraps left.
Sure makes one proud of how our fellow man can act.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I guess the cruise lines do promote "pampering" and "luxury" but I really do not see any ads where the cruise lines say "turn off your brain - we'll do the thinking for you."

Honestly - that sounds more like an all-inclusive resort to me.

I think the cruise lines encourage you to be pro-active about your cruise, to do research and make decisions in advance. They want you to map out your shore tours and dining plans - that is why they give you so much information on their web sites.

If you look at the some of the cruise line slogans they are

Carnival "fun ships"
Royal Caribbean "get out there"
Celebrity "experience the extraordinary"
Cunard "unforgettable experiences"
NCL "cruise like a Norwegian" (OK - I don't really get that one )
Oceania "enriching ships, inspired destinations, passionate service"
Princess: "escape completely"

Only Princess has a ring off "turn off your brain" to it. Otherwise they mostly advertise fun and/or adventure, which I think is right.

It is the media and the anti-cruise brigade who have told us that the cruise lines promise complete safety. And that picture isn't true.

Here in CruiseMates how often do we talk about cruise insurance, the fact that having a medical center does not make a cruise ship a hospital, etc.

Think about this - the fact that ships have medical centers is a very good thing. It has saved lives and made better trips.

But what do lawyers and the media say about them; "they aren't US-licensed doctors, they will charge you for services, they don't take insurance... etc, etc etc"

In other words - the one thing that could END the practice of providing doctors on cruise ships is the critics of cruise ship medical centers who expect too much from them. And then people on ships will be far worse off than they are now.

When was the last time you heard anyone praise a cruise ship doctor in the media - yet imagine if they all went away?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The "onion sandwich" line was used so often that the media was leading with it by day four...

"Five days of sleeping in urine soaked hallways and living on ketchup sandwiches"

Which highly respected news organization came up that? ABC.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
The "onion sandwich" line was used so often that the media was leading with it by day four...

"Five days of sleeping in urine soaked hallways and living on ketchup sandwiches"

Which highly respected news organization came up that? ABC.
The following is a plausible explanation, not an excuse:

Neither ABC nor any other news organization had a reporter on board as far as I know. Therefore, they were relying for their reporting on accounts from passengers. Arguably, they shouldn't have done very much of this, because these people are not journalists, but it was a big story and they'll go with what they can get every time. And the more sensational, the better.

Making things worse, many of the passengers, I submit, were already counting their money from the lawsuit settlement. To their minds, the more gruesome they made it sound, the better.

Other passengers were just not mentally hooked-up to deal with adversity, which is kinda where this string started.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I guess the cruise lines do promote "pampering" and "luxury" but I really do not see any ads where the cruise lines say "turn off your brain - we'll do the thinking for you."

Honestly - that sounds more like an all-inclusive resort to me.

I think the cruise lines encourage you to be pro-active about your cruise, to do research and make decisions in advance. They want you to map out your shore tours and dining plans - that is why they give you so much information on their web sites.

If you look at the some of the cruise line slogans they are

Carnival "fun ships"
Royal Caribbean "get out there"
Celebrity "experience the extraordinary"
Cunard "unforgettable experiences"
NCL "cruise like a Norwegian" (OK - I don't really get that one )
Oceania "enriching ships, inspired destinations, passionate service"
Princess: "escape completely"

Only Princess has a ring off "turn off your brain" to it. Otherwise they mostly advertise fun and/or adventure, which I think is right.
You're rationalizing.

I was going to make a wise-ass remark after each of the slogans, but it's way too easy and obvious.

The point is not that the slogans don't specifically tell you to turn off your brain. Agents, packagers, practically everybody in the business uses the "we take care of everything" concept as a sales hook. And I maintain that a great many people cruise because that's exactly what they want: somebody else to take care of everything. Not everybody, but many.

Paul, I think you should look at the brochures and the videos the way the average person does instead of trying to parse every slogan and phrase for what it does and doesn't say. Do a focus group or three and ask people what they look for in a cruise. Sit behind the mirror and listen to the answers.

Don't pay attention to the message you think the lines are trying to deliver; instead pay attention to the message that customers are receiving. Because that's all that matters. Honest.