Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default SS. United Stated

I once got a glimpse of this aging old Grande Dame as I flew into Philly. A shame to see her this way. I get emails from this group, I joined soon after.

Saving the SS United States - CBS News

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I hope they can save it.

Philly already has a couple of ships you can tour, a 1900's -era battle ship, and a submarine. They are both really cool. To add the SS United States would be a real coup.

Queen Mary does well in Long Beach - I have stayed there and toured it extensively. Had a great time. I try to boost the Queen Mary in Long Beach whenever I can - they have really made an amazing museum there.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh, sure hope they can save her, looks like a little TLC would do wonders....

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Admiral

As most of you know, I've been "into" the old, true North Atlantic Liners for several years. This, of course, ultimately included the SS United States.

Technically she can be re-habbed to a status similar to the Queen Mary but it is extremely doutbtful she could ever sail again. The politics surrounding the SS United States have been not only enough to drive one nuts but have been so unnecessary. Although I haven't checked in over a year, it appears nothing has changed relative to that issue.

In summation, there is absolutely no excuse that something positive can't be done and it should have occurred years ago. Hopefully some erudite and committed folks from this site might be able to do something and we can do this in a positive manner although be strongly prepared for that NOT to occur. There is definitely some "ass" that needs to be kicked and this could occur in an acceptable written fashion. It all hinges on whether or not we're really into putting forth the considerable effort to effect some positive change. Thus far, as well meaning as they may have been, other orgranizations have been unsuccessful for several reasons, some because they've been scared off.

BTW, if you become heavily involved, be prepared to absolutely excoriate and be excoriated by a current popular cruise line. I think that's one reason people who really wanted to help have been, indirectly, scared off. When you learn the truth behind this outfit's involvement, you'll blow your gord.

But if you wanna' play, I'm open to helping in any manner I can as one thing I don't get, is intimidated. Of course a few of you know that as well.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Admiral

When my father came to the US in 1913 I thought it was on the SS United States but I guess it was another vessel.
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I saw the SS United States when I was coming to America. We were close to New York, sailing on the SS Olympia when the SS United States sailed along side.
It sure was an impressive ship back then.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015